2016 F Keanu Pinder JC -> Arizona

ajb5856

Well what was your point about the videos, then?  "Has anyone also changed their views on youtube videos?"  Meaning what? 

In between the possible signing of Petteway and Petteway actually signing, someone posted a semi-random youtube video meant to convey a thought.  There was a 11 post reply about whether or not people post too many random music youtube videos.

OK, gotcha.  I guess I didn't observe that and my semi-sarcastic response was actually apropos totally by accident. 

Now that we have that out of the way can we get you on the record for

Do we want Pinder? Yes[ ] No [ ] Other [ ]

Do we post too many random youtube videos? Yes[ ] No [ ] Other [ ]

Do we want Pinder? Yes[X] No [ ] Other [ ]

Do we post too many random youtube videos? Yes[ ] No [X] Other [ ]

there will NEVER be too many random youtubes!

Would you be surprised to find out that you were the poster of that video two years ago?

Well what was your point about the videos, then?  "Has anyone also changed their views on youtube videos?"  Meaning what? 

In between the possible signing of Petteway and Petteway actually signing, someone posted a semi-random youtube video meant to convey a thought.  There was a 11 post reply about whether or not people post too many random music youtube videos.

OK, gotcha.  I guess I didn't observe that and my semi-sarcastic response was actually apropos totally by accident. 

Do we want Pinder? Yes[ ] No [ ] Other [ ]

Do we post too many random youtube videos? Yes[ ] No [ ] Other [ ]

YES..always want athletic fowards

Other..im MEH about it, dosnt bother me either way 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1dnqKGuezo

• 2 months later...

I'm totally good with the videos. 

I'm not so totally good on Pinder.  I would hope we could do better.  Haven't seen a lot of him but what I have seen, he's not blowing me away with his skills.  He's no Deng Deng.  About the same size but Deng is +++ on skills in comparison.  JMOO.

Isn't Deng a few years older than Keanu though? That's a tough comparison for Pinder, who still has a lot of physical and mental development ahead of him to get to where Deng was as a college sophomore. Pinder's very raw, but I suspect he'll be a lot more polished two years from now.

Here is a report from Eric Bossi from Adidas Nations on Keanu Pinder:

"Now moved to the class of 2016, Keanu Pinder is somebody that Rivals.com is going to have to consider for the rankings when they get updated in late August. At 6-foot-9, he is a fine athlete who can run, hits the glass and tries to dunk everything around the rim. He doesn't look to be overly skilled just yet, but he has a body to build on and if his motor stays one that runs high, it bodes well for the Nebraska commitment's future."

This seems to be further confirmation of the ability of Tim Miles & Co. to find and secure under-rated players ahead of the pack.

• 2 months later...

This afternoon at 4:15 I will get my first look at Keanu Pinder.  Hutchinson Junior College is playing both the Elite and Post Graduate teams at Sunrise Christian Academy here in Wichita.  It should be interesting since  Sunrise is said to be loaded again this year.  I am sure there will be a lot of coaches present since a lot of the players for both teams are already committed.  I will let you know how the scrimmage went.  Keanu supposedly has improved a lot  this summer so it will be interesting to me since I saw him play last year.  I hope his shot has improved since I was not very impressed with it last year at Sunrise.  In talking to the head of Sunrise at the last football game, he said Sunrise should be better than last year, a year in which they were 6th in the nation.

I really was not impressed with Keanu.  He did get elbowed above the eye and this kept him from playing a lot.  He scored 5 points including only 1 out of 4 from the line.  He did rebound fairly well but like last year he did not start for Hutchinson.  The format was that the prep team from Sunrise played the Hutchinson J.C. for 20 minutes.  Then the Elite team, the best high school team, played them for 20 minutes.  After that the prep team played them for an additional 10 minutes and the scrimmage finished with the Elite team playing them for 10 minutes.  The Prep team from Sunrise outscored Hutch 41-40 while the Elite team was outscored 39-35.  Sunrise is again loaded with many D1 potential players.  There were coaches there from all over the country.  As to Keanu, he is very athletic but so were both teams.  He missed his only perimeter shot quite badly.  His two baskets came near the basket.  He got a big ovation with a thunder dunk but it just seems to me that he just doesn't have quite the fire he needs to have.  Hutch is quite good and is usually rated quite high in the Junior College circuit but in my opinion Keanu will have to show more fire and get more involved in the offense or he will not do well at N.U.  There was a coach with a N on his shirt but am not sure if he was from Nebraska or not.  Sunrise had 15 players sign D1 this last year and they are just as good if not better this year.

• 4 weeks later...

Freshmen on the Hutichinson CC basketball team logging more minutes and points than Keanu Pinder:

Che Bob -- 17.2 min, 8.8 ppg

Akbar Hoffman -- 25.2 min, 8.2 ppg

Bashir Ahmed -- 29.8 min, 15.6 ppg, 8.6 rpg

Jaylan Robertson -- 10.6 min, 2.8 ppg

Bashir Ahmed is a 6'7" forward who committed to Iona before heading off to junior college.

I hafta say I just don't see him developing enough in the next season+ to remain a Husker commit.  When we offered and he signed, we hadn't won crap.  Since then, we're in play for a much higher level of recruit than we were at the time. 

Just being honest, but I have to say I don't see him ever playing in a Husker uniform.

It makes me wonder what people were looking at last year when he committed and they were saying he was such a great get.

Compared with guys like Shang Ping and Alex Chapman, I'm not even sure I'd call him a great get.

I think he's the ultimate Houdini.  There's been multiple times we hear about how great he did at this tournament or so amazing there.  Only to disappear into thin air and not be heard from for awhile.  I think he's a guy that when hes on, every team wants him, but that sadly sounds like it doesnt happen as often as youd want.

I've watched a lot of game film of Pinder from both last year and this year (playing for Australia in adidas nations) and I haven't seen him do anything terribly impressive yet.  Really nothing highlight worthy.  These mysterious games where he's done great at this tournament or that tournament evidently weren't filmed and posted to youtube.

What I've seen is a guy who's passive and uninvolved.  I'm really wondering what people who said he'd be such a great get were looking at.  I don't mean that critically.  I'm just saying I haven't seen it and I'd like to look at it.

I've watched a lot of game film of Pinder from both last year and this year (playing for Australia in adidas nations) and I haven't seen him do anything terribly impressive yet.  Really nothing highlight worthy.  These mysterious games where he's done great at this tournament or that tournament evidently weren't filmed and posted to youtube.

What I've seen is a guy who's passive and uninvolved.  I'm really wondering what people who said he'd be such a great get were looking at.  I don't mean that critically.  I'm just saying I haven't seen it and I'd like to look at it.

I think if Pinder is a Husker he will have proven it. If not, we will have someone better. And then Pinder will be at USD or somewhere that fits his level of play better. But I'm guessing you're probably right on this one, Norm, especially with a juco. The coaches will have even less time to develop his skills.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Pinder update:

7th in minutes played

0 starts in 16 games

Averaging about 15 min per game

54.4% FG

3-11 3 pt FG

56.3% FT

5.19 pts per game (6th on team)

4.50 reb per game (4th on team)

17 assists

18 turnovers

21 blocks (2nd on team)

44 personal fouls (tied for most)

Had 3 pts & 8 reb & 3 blks in 24 min in Hutch's most recent game, a 72-62 loss to #4 Butler. Hutchinson was ranked #6 entering the game and now is 14-2. Looks like Pinder's playing time is steadily increasing ... when he can stay out of foul trouble anyway. Had only 8 min and 4 PF in Hutch's win prior to the Butler game.

Hutch's leading scorer & rebounder is a sophomore, DeShawn Freeman, who's a similar sized player to Pinder, so it appears PInder is playing behind Freeman now & would be in line for a starting spot next season. Of course with jucos, you never know who's coming in the following year, so nothing much is guaranteed going into 2015-16.