2016 F Keanu Pinder JC -> Arizona

ajb5856

Gotta wonder if Pinder's 1st year as a "redshirt" at the JUCO will work out for improving academics & in the weight room. Otherwises, to see only a couple of years of Keanu in Lincoln would not be that great; If it's 3 years, that might make a difference because it's likely that the 1st season w/ Big Red is another acclimation process into the B1G league. We shall see... only time will tell. It's not like Terran Petteway was viewed as some "big-time" get when he signed w/ NU, you just never know what the future holds in the world of recruiting. Pinder could take off in the next 2 years at a good JUCO w/ playing time & the right "mojo" around him as opposed to 1 more year riding pine at Sunrise. He could rise up, given the right circumstances... hope it works well wherever Keanu goes!

He can't go prep school than juco cause in order to be eligible he has to graduate from a juco. He could redshirt next year? I think this is much more of a wait and see than a "he's done" they obviously really like some of what he does. Whose to say he's not a top juco recruit in two years? He definetly has the athletiscm

Maybe I'm just a blind optimist, but I'm thinking we'll be able to land a much better player with this scholarship than Pinder.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

On one hand that kind've sucks to lose someone that committed to Nebraska, but it actually really doesn't bother me. Nebraska is in on better players in the 2015 class.

Nebraska currently has 3 scholarships for the 2015 class. If Nebraska can land the grad-transfer from Cal, then they will have 4 available scholarships. If Petteway goes to the NBA after next season, then Nebraska will have 5 available scholarships.

In my opinion, Nebraska would be better off with Markis McDuffie at the 3-spot.

And, in my opinion, Nebraska would be better off filling out their 2015 class with Ed Morrow & Markis McDuffie...with a shot at landing players like Josh Reaves, Kevin Dorsey, and/or DeShawn Freeman...maybe Nebraska would even be an attractive option for another grad-transfer center...especially if Ayegba has a good season...

Sucks to lose any commit, but I'm really not too worried about Nebraska being able to land an equal or greater talent to replace him.

Nebraska currently has 3 scholarships for the 2015 class. If Nebraska can land the grad-transfer from Cal, then they will have 4 available scholarships. If Petteway goes to the NBA after next season, then Nebraska will have 5 available scholarships.

We have 4 whether or not the grad transfer from Cal comes here. Now if we gave that scholarship to someone else who would be here longer than a year we could go down to 3 available, but we currently have 4 whether or not Krecklow comes here.

We have 4 whether or not the grad transfer from Cal comes here. Now if we gave that scholarship to someone else who would be here longer than a year we could go down to 3 available, but we currently have 4 whether or not Krecklow comes here.
I guess I am assuming that Nebraska will fill their 2 currently open scholarships in the 2014 class.

If they leave both of those open then they already have 5 available scholarships in the 2015 class, with a possibility of 6 available scholarships, if Petteway were to head to the NBA early after next season. Again, you are right...but I guess I am just assuming that Nebraska will try to fill both of their currently available scholarships.

Doesn't add up. Doubt he ever makes it.

What doesn't add up? Wasn't he a known academic question mark from the get go? I thought there was talk that he might not qualify and have to go the JUCO route well before he even signed with us.

Here is a post from 2013

Id love to get this kid....appears to be a great athlete and his dad was quite the bball player. Good blood lines. Only drawback is we will have to sweat it out with him getting qualified.....worst case he would have to go JUCO for two years.

Assuming you read the Tunnel Talk this morning. For those who don't subscribe, Robin provide an update/summary of the Elbert situation. Nothing new here just a summary of his final list being delayed and his LSU/Shaq visit. The update on Pinder said the biggest concern right now is whether or not he would qualify academically. They are seeing if his credits/high school work from Australia will transfer and he has yet to take the SAT. Robin said this is a huge question mark with Pinder and like huskerbaseball13 said, he may have to go the JUCO route.

It looks like this has been known about for awhile.

There are a lot of reasons why he might never end up at Nebraska....him not being good enough for this team currently isn't at the top of them.  The book on him is freak athlete with unpolished game...there is always the chance he could become "too good" for Nebraska.  Heck, in two years Harriman might be a head coach somewhere else and he could land there.

We'll have to take a look at this thread in two years...assuming this board is still a thing in two years. :)

Doesn't add up. Doubt he ever makes it.

What doesn't add up? Wasn't he a known academic question mark from the get go? I thought there was talk that he might not qualify and have to go the JUCO route well before he even signed with us.

Here is a post from 2013

Id love to get this kid....appears to be a great athlete and his dad was quite the bball player. Good blood lines. Only drawback is we will have to sweat it out with him getting qualified.....worst case he would have to go JUCO for two years.

Assuming you read the Tunnel Talk this morning. For those who don't subscribe, Robin provide an update/summary of the Elbert situation. Nothing new here just a summary of his final list being delayed and his LSU/Shaq visit. The update on Pinder said the biggest concern right now is whether or not he would qualify academically. They are seeing if his credits/high school work from Australia will transfer and he has yet to take the SAT. Robin said this is a huge question mark with Pinder and like huskerbaseball13 said, he may have to go the JUCO route.

It looks like this has been known about for awhile.

There are a lot of reasons why he might never end up at Nebraska....him not being good enough for this team currently isn't at the top of them. The book on him is freak athlete with unpolished game...there is always the chance he could become "too good" for Nebraska. Heck, in two years Harriman might be a head coach somewhere else and he could land there.

We'll have to take a look at this thread in two years...assuming this board is still a thing in two years. :)

Exactly. Thanks for searching and copy/pasting Dimes. The coaches are well aware of the academic situation and have known from the get go. Harriman placed Pinder at Sunrise so we could get him. We got him and the coaches are fine waiting 2 years if that's what needs to happen. Its a little ridiculous that some think he's not good enough and that we should "move on" and "next..." etc. It's possible that something else happens and we do move on or recruiting takes another direction, but obviously that is not the plan right now. The coaches want Pinder. Big time programs were starting to inquire about Pinder before he committed to us.

Maybe I'm just a blind optimist, but I'm thinking we'll be able to land a much better player with this scholarship than Pinder.

Yeah, but ... Terran Petteway. So, since our coaches are recruiting him, Pinder must be good. First team All-Conference three years from now. Bank on it, baby.
You seem to be taking that Petteway bump pretty seriously. It's not a big deal man, no one is right about everything.

Yeah, but ... Terran Petteway. So, since our coaches are recruiting him, Pinder must be good. First team All-Conference three years from now. Bank on it, baby.
You seem to be taking that Petteway bump pretty seriously. It's not a big deal man, no one is right about everything.

Maybe I should use smiley face things more liberally.  Clearly my tone is not coming across if you think I'm reacting defensively.

My point above is a little snarky but it's not about being wrong on Petteway.  It's about the insinuation that we shouldn't proffer guesses about the potential of a recruit simply because we don't know as much as the coaches know.

That is certainly true.  We don't know what the coaches know about recruits.  We also don't know as much about game-planning or what's going on in the locker room; yet, this being a discussion board, we still discuss it.  That's what we're here for.  And so it should be.

And the same should hold true for recruits, too.  So, no, in light of Petteway turning out much better than I would have guessed from his stats at Texas Tech, I am NOT going to change my view about discussing things here and whether we should or shouldn't offer thoughts, guesses or opinions about a potential recruit.  And, no, I am NOT going to stop looking at youtube videos of a potential recruit's high school highlights and offering observations about what I think I see.  Nor do I think anyone else should. 

The fact that Petteway out-performed many of our expectations is NOT, in my view, a reason to stop discussing potential recruits.  But I think that's what some were trying to subtly suggest:  i.e., we were wrong on Petteway, ergo what?  Ergo we should stop commenting on a recruit's youtube highlights? 

Sorry, but I disagree. 

Journal Star says today we continue to pursue or maintain our interest in Pinder and that we're "placing" him in a juco with the expectation he'll remain committed to our program, says a source familiar with Pinder's recruitment.

Like I stated above I think this is more about his age than anything.  When it comes to your chances in the pros, the older you get the less chances you get.  If he has the aspirations to go pro his window shrinks every year he's in HS/Juco/4 yr school.  My guess is this is something that was talked about in several conversations and is the best for both parties right now.

Journal Star says today we continue to pursue or maintain our interest in Pinder and that we're "placing" him in a juco with the expectation he'll remain committed to our program, says a source familiar with Pinder's recruitment.

Like I stated above I think this is more about his age than anything.  When it comes to your chances in the pros, the older you get the less chances you get.  If he has the aspirations to go pro his window shrinks every year he's in HS/Juco/4 yr school.  My guess is this is something that was talked about in several conversations and is the best for both parties right now.

When you say pros do you mean NBA or overseas? Maybe both?

I don't mind Nebraska "placing" him in a juco because I think that's probably for the best. He might not get the necessary coaching that will develop his skills as much as he would in Lincoln, but I think it buys us time to get recruits that will be more of an immediate help. My hope is that with a big 2014-15 season we'll be able to close on some big-time (top 100) recruits.

If Pinder plays well enough that we honor the scholarship, that's awesome.

It's about the insinuation that we shouldn't proffer guesses about the potential of a recruit simply because we don't know as much as the coaches know.

The majority of this thread is validation that the perceived insinuation being an issue isn't an issue.

It's about the insinuation that we shouldn't proffer guesses about the potential of a recruit simply because we don't know as much as the coaches know.

The majority of this thread is validation that the perceived insinuation being an issue isn't an issue.

Well what was your point about the videos, then?  "Has anyone also changed their views on youtube videos?"  Meaning what?  That just because Petteway ended up being so much better than we (I) expected that we shouldn't go to the trouble of discussing a potential recruit or evaluating his film?

I think this thread proves that people collectively want to discuss more things than what any single person on this board might want to discuss.  And I have always been in favor or more discussion rather than less.

Maybe I should use smiley face things more liberally. Clearly my tone is not coming across if you think I'm reacting defensively.

My point above is a little snarky but it's not about being wrong on Petteway. It's about the insinuation that we shouldn't proffer guesses about the potential of a recruit simply because we don't know as much as the coaches know.

That is certainly true. We don't know what the coaches know about recruits. We also don't know as much about game-planning or what's going on in the locker room; yet, this being a discussion board, we still discuss it. That's what we're here for. And so it should be.

And the same should hold true for recruits, too. So, no, in light of Petteway turning out much better than I would have guessed from his stats at Texas Tech, I am NOT going to change my view about discussing things here and whether we should or shouldn't offer thoughts, guesses or opinions about a potential recruit. And, no, I am NOT going to stop looking at youtube videos of a potential recruit's high school highlights and offering observations about what I think I see. Nor do I think anyone else should.

The fact that Petteway out-performed many of our expectations is NOT, in my view, a reason to stop discussing potential recruits. But I think that's what some were trying to subtly suggest: i.e., we were wrong on Petteway, ergo what? Ergo we should stop commenting on a recruit's youtube highlights?

Sorry, but I disagree.

I agree with your sentiments in this post. Yes, that is not how I read your initial post at all so that was just a miscommunication. Thanks for clarifying.

When you say pros do you mean NBA or overseas? Maybe both?

I don't mind Nebraska "placing" him in a juco because I think that's probably for the best. He might not get the necessary coaching that will develop his skills as much as he would in Lincoln, but I think it buys us time to get recruits that will be more of an immediate help. My hope is that with a big 2014-15 season we'll be able to close on some big-time (top 100) recruits.

If Pinder plays well enough that we honor the scholarship, that's awesome.

Any and all opportunities.  NBA, D-League, Overseas, etc.

Well what was your point about the videos, then?  "Has anyone also changed their views on youtube videos?"  Meaning what? 

In between the possible signing of Petteway and Petteway actually signing, someone posted a semi-random youtube video meant to convey a thought.  There was a 11 post reply about whether or not people post too many random music youtube videos.

Well what was your point about the videos, then?  "Has anyone also changed their views on youtube videos?"  Meaning what? 

In between the possible signing of Petteway and Petteway actually signing, someone posted a semi-random youtube video meant to convey a thought.  There was a 11 post reply about whether or not people post too many random music youtube videos.

OK, gotcha.  I guess I didn't observe that and my semi-sarcastic response was actually apropos totally by accident.