2016 F Keanu Pinder JC -> Arizona

ajb5856

Should we be concerned that Pinder is not getting much PT this year? Sounds like he is on a pretty solid team but a recent update had him playing like 6 minutes a game. Sounds like he has A++ athleticism but is extremely raw.

I wouldn't. It's a huge transition period. We see what's happened with Tai. Look at Jonah Bolden he is a 4 star top 100 guy and he left Findlay Prep because he wasn't going to get any minutes. Steven Adams was a 5 star and struggled in high school here and to an extent his only year in college but his upside and size is what helped him. These guys are definitely behind the level of US players in terms development at the same age.

Should we be concerned that Pinder is not getting much PT this year? Sounds like he is on a pretty solid team but a recent update had him playing like 6 minutes a game. Sounds like he has A++ athleticism but is extremely raw.

I wouldn't. It's a huge transition period. We see what's happened with Tai. Look at Jonah Bolden he is a 4 star top 100 guy and he left Findlay Prep because he wasn't going to get any minutes. Steven Adams was a 5 star and struggled in high school here and to an extent his only year in college but his upside and size is what helped him. These guys are definitely behind the level of US players in terms development at the same age.

Good points, all.  But wouldn't you say Maric was an exception?  And why did his transition go so much better?

• 2 weeks later...

I watched most of the game and he never saw the floor during the time I watched. I'm guessing he didn't get any minutes of action today.

Perfect.

If he were at just any OPS HS he would start, lead in points, and be the star. His problem is the prep school he is at is loaded with top shelf talent. There's 8 or so guys with D1 talent on his team. Look at a former target of NU in Jonah Bolden. 4 star that transferred from his prep school because he was told he would only get 7-10 minutes a game if that and he's Rivals' 62nd ranked player getting told he would get limited minutes in high school. I wouldn't judge this year on what will happen next year when he probably starts. Remember he was putting up double digits on team USA at the Adidas nations tournament last summer so he has the talent.

I watched most of the game and he never saw the floor during the time I watched. I'm guessing he didn't get any minutes of action today.

Perfect.
If he were at just any OPS HS he would start, lead in points, and be the star. His problem is the prep school he is at is loaded with top shelf talent. There's 8 or so guys with D1 talent on his team. Look at a former target of NU in Jonah Bolden. 4 star that transferred from his prep school because he was told he would only get 7-10 minutes a game if that and he's Rivals' 62nd ranked player getting told he would get limited minutes in high school. I wouldn't judge this year on what will happen next year when he probably starts. Remember he was putting up double digits on team USA at the Adidas nations tournament last summer so he has the talent.

So where are the guys playing ahead of him going?

Not sure who all gets the minutes, but here are the guys who are committed per Yahoo!.  Several others have offers, also not sure how many underclassmen get any minutes either.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/recruit-search-results;_ylt=AknzE9QsZ.VqyW8dfNXPlEnWO5B4?sport=basketball&year=2014&highschool_text=Sunrise+Christian+Academy&highschools=6545&state=Kansas

Zach Brown - Wichita St.

Ruano Nurger - Ole Miss

Nathan Bain - Colorado St.

Lourwais Nain Jr. - Michigan St.

Awesome so in year 4 Miles will still get a pass because his top recruit has hardly played American basketball and needs time to develop.

When are we gonna land a stud who actually comes in and steals the show?!?! What I wouldn't give for Joe McCray to be a freshman again. Man do we have terrible luck.

Awesome so in year 4 Miles will still get a pass because his top recruit has hardly played American basketball and needs time to develop.

When are we gonna land a stud who actually comes in and steals the show?!?! What I wouldn't give for Joe McCray to be a freshman again. Man do we have terrible luck.

Like Petteway?

shoulda told mcray to stay away from the golden corral.... n relax, we are not going to get the big time stud recruit without winning, the phrase "hey you can come here and be the man, lead us to the promise land, not be just another player in our history like other schools" is not working Kids wanna come to winners, or teams that at least apper to be winners. when that happens we will get the top 50 recruits until than we need to follow the baylor path of a few years ago...juco recruits, couple foreign guys hope they work out, and than we can start picking up the stud recruits (lets just do this cleaner than baylor did it tho.)

You're jumping the gun a bit, seems to me, concerned that a coach in the middle of his 2nd year might be given a pass in his 4th.

Like Petteway?

Of course, my response above was posted before tonight's game.  But I hear a lot of whining on the recruiting forum about not ever recruiting a stud.  But I'm telling you, Miles did just that with this guy.  He is excellent, and may have a versatile game that can play the 2 in the NBA.  Shoots it well, and is a beast in transition.  Can defend, can get his own shot.  There are some recruits who are not 4 or 5 stars when signed, but end up at that level.  Petteway is one of them.  Now, let's get some more.

So I answer, to the question "when are we gonna land a stud who actually comes in and steals the show?":  We did, in the summer of 2012.

Like Petteway?

Of course, my response above was posted before tonight's game. But I hear a lot of whining on the recruiting forum about not ever recruiting a stud. But I'm telling you, Miles did just that with this guy. He is excellent, and may have a versatile game that can play the 2 in the NBA. Shoots it well, and is a beast in transition. Can defend, can get his own shot. There are some recruits who are not 4 or 5 stars when signed, but end up at that level. Petteway is one of them. Now, let's get some more.

So I answer, to the question "when are we gonna land a stud who actually comes in and steals the show?": We did, in the summer of 2012.

I love Petteway and he has more upside than any Husker I can remember in a long time. But I was talking about recruiting players. I know in the end it makes no difference. Yeah Petteway is our guy, but I'm greedy. I want a senior in high school to want to come here and be "the guy." I suppose it's going to take Petteway leading is to the tourney before other players his caliber take note.

Perfect.

So where are the guys playing ahead of him going?

As someone else posted in here currently the senior class at Sunrise has 9 players that claim Division 1 offers.  I know Marvin Clark is the biggest reason keeping Pinder on the bench but two other swing 3-4 position guys that are seniors playing above him in Brown and Nurger.  Clark is down to KSU, Ole Miss, and Seton Hall, Brown is going to Wichita State, and Nurger is going to ole Miss.

Like the posts above… Next year will tell the story on Pinder.. If he is still bench fodder, we could be looking at a real project… If he starts and averages 10+ points and 7+ boards, I will have no doubt that he can come in a be a player for us. Be patient. This kid isn't playing at Burke or even Central. Its one of the premier programs in the country.