Glad we have Nebrasketball to look forward to.

FredsSlacks

I'm feeling a lot better about the future of Nebrasketball than the football team right now.

Only 13 days until the scrimmage.

team preview article that i found:

http://www.insidethehall.com/2013/09/13/2013-2014-ith-season-preview-nebraska-cornhuskers/

I agree that we could struggle with defense in the paint this year, but that should not be a problem in the future as it looks like we will land at least 2 big men in the 2014 class.

I wonder what the results would be like if we repeated that poll from a couple of months ago about which Husker coach has their team on the better trajectory.

As far as room for improvement, it's hard to beat Mile's opportunity. 

Nervous about Pelini.  We're screwed if they fire him this year.  Texas and USC will likely have open positions, leaving even fewer high quality coaches.  I think it's worth something that teams under Pelini have high graduation rates and very little negative press.  He definitely needs to stop hiring his buddies and bring in a quality DC.  And maybe tell Beck to stop with the cute stuff..

I wonder what the results would be like if we repeated that poll from a couple of months ago about which Husker coach has their team on the better trajectory.

At this point it's not very close IMO.  The consistency of 4 loss seasons sprinkled with humiliating blowouts on national television is more than a little unnerving at this point.... Pelini is very consistent (stubborn?) in his approach and I don't see much changing unless the ship takes on serious water.  Even then I'm not sure he would change, ala Bill Callahan at the end of his run.  Bo seems very content with his system and his staff, so I see no reason to expect different results.  Trajectory:  Flat

Coach Miles, OTOH, seems very methodical in his approach to building a winner, which has worked well at his earlier stops, albeit at lower levels of play.  He didn't apply any Band-Aids in year 1, instead working with what little he had on the roster and coaching the heck out of them.  Most would agree that we overachieved in year 1.  With a roster full of scholarship players to work with this year, and an apparent increase in individual talent, we should see some improvement this year. The following year, when these kids (minus Rey) have another year of experience under their belt, plus some incoming frontcourt players of higher recruiting stock then we are used to, it's hard not to see us getting even better.  Trajectory:  On the rise

54 days until Nebrasketball takes on Dunk City!!

I've been stoked for hoops season to start (even more so after Saturday); I'm bidding on some tickets to a Nebraska basketball game in an auction we're having at work so I can get into Pinnacle and check out the new digs.  I can't believe how fast they sold out the season tickets....

I'm also bidding on an autographed Tim Miles basketball......I guess I have a bit of a man crush on the guy.

54 days until Nebrasketball takes on Dunk City!!

I've been stoked for hoops season to start (even more so after Saturday); I'm bidding on some tickets to a Nebraska basketball game in an auction we're having at work so I can get into Pinnacle and check out the new digs.  I can't believe how fast they sold out the season tickets....

I'm also bidding on an autographed Tim Miles basketball......I guess I have a bit of a man crush on the guy.

The TM signed ball would be real nice!!

After the UCLA game Saturday I had the same feeling about Pelini and the football program as I did about Doc and the basketball program after the Wake Forest game his last year. I've lost my optimism and no longer will emotionally invest in the team. I'll still root for them and want them to be successful but don't expect more than they've shown so far. The consistency and mistakes are maddening.

That said, I couldn't be more excited for basketball!!! There's so much positive progress it's palpable. The best is yet to come for our hoops program!

After the UCLA game Saturday I had the same feeling about Pelini and the football program as I did about Doc and the basketball program after the Wake Forest game his last year. I've lost my optimism and no longer will emotionally invest in the team. I'll still root for them and want them to be successful but don't expect more than they've shown so far. The consistency and mistakes are maddening.

That said, I couldn't be more excited for basketball!!! There's so much positive progress it's palpable. The best is yet to come for our hoops program!

Good comparison and good post, spot on.

Good comparison and good post, spot on.

Agreed

Excellent post, will always STAY and cheer for the KIDS. They are the ones working and I'm not going to disrespect that. I no longer worry about wins and loses, just if they played hard. Seemed give the effort Saturday just didn't have all their ducks in a row so that effort allowed them to compete.

Now that the football team has provin' itself irrelevant before the first frost, I too am looking forward to what should be a special Basketball season. Historically, (especially lately) whenever the football team plays someone their equal or better, they lose. The cagers, even in their down years, almost always spring an upset. Go Big Miles, and Go Big Red!  

when i was younger, id always look forward to husker football with Glass Full to the brim of spilling over amounts of optimisim, however in recent years, ive come to expect 9-10 wins, a gator/holiday/some other second tier bowl apperence. With TM now, i find myself not really caring about the state of the football program as much, and back to that younger juvenile apporach of Glass Full to the brim of spilling over amounts of optimisim for NEBRASKETBALL!!

Pelini is all but a lame duck coach with his comments about tommie frazier.  Sad to say but we will probably be going through another coaching search this winter.  Pelini's PC today was very Callahan esque when things started coming unglued in 2007.

For the record, I think this thread is very indicative of why Bo needs to go.  A lot of "well we don't want to be in a coaching search vs Texas," "I don't really care about the W/L anymore," etc.  Nothing wrong with that line of thinking, it just reaffirms that the program has plummeted to a state of apathy amongst fans.  I was personally "over" the loss to UCLA about 20 minutes after I got home from the game.  Not acceptable IMO.

I'd prefer to see us go after someone with head coaching experience.  The thing about Frost is, similar to Pelini, he probably wouldn't be on our radar if he didn't have ties to Nebraska.  Now, I think Frost has potential to be a great head coach down the road, but he has 1 year of coordinator experience.  Nebraska doesn't need to be a training ground for head coaches.

I'd prefer to see us go after someone with head coaching experience.  The thing about Frost is, similar to Pelini, he probably wouldn't be on our radar if he didn't have ties to Nebraska.  Now, I think Frost has potential to be a great head coach down the road, but he has 1 year of coordinator experience.  Nebraska doesn't need to be a training ground for head coaches.

This!

speaking of duck, if were are going to hire a new coach..Scott Frost needs to get a call, like Tim Miles, i feel like he gets it, and could bring that same level of enthusiasiam back to the program.

he may very well get a call to be the OC, but he's not like Tim Miles.  Miles had years of HC experience at a variety of different levels building programs from the ground up.  there's (almost) always going to be a groundswell of support for a new coach (if it comes to that). Hiring Frost really isn't different than what we are going through with Pelini.  The cycle would start all over again. That's not something you want for your flagship program.  Also, I don't think it's a cinch that Frost would come back just because we call.  You'll still have to pay the man and he's got it pretty good right now.

Pelini is all but a lame duck coach with his comments about tommie frazier. 

I don't know about lame duck but yikes.

Yeah, um.  About Tommie Frazier and coaching ...

It's a little more than amusing to see Tommie Frazier making critical comments about a head coach not putting his players in position to be successful (ahem, Doane Tigers, ahem).

I'm not getting into the debate about Pelini.   He might be failing as a head coach or doing as well as could be expected under the circumstances.  I don't know which is right.  But I know that as bad as people think he might be, he's still light years ahead of Tommie Frazier in the head coaching department.  Tommie sucked out loud in his head coaching stint in Crete.