2015 Ben Simmons?

lanigan123

Well, the reason I think it's incongruous is that we've had players come in before and start right away at the point.  True freshmen.  And they haven't been the talent upgrades we're all hoping Tai is.  If Tai is that much of a talent upgrade, which you indicate you believe he is, then he'll be starting and starting soon.  Maybe not from game 1 but not long into the season.  That is, IF he's as good as people say.  If he's not starting soon, then he's not the upgrade we all hoped he'd be.  To me, saying that he's that talented is incompatible with predicting he'll be up and down and struggle.

"Talent" struggles all the time."Talent" can also bust-out of D1 and never play again or go to a smaller school. Saying someone is talented doesn't automatically equal success. Also, just because someone is starting does not mean they are all that talented. Conversely, just because someone isn't starting does not mean they aren't talented.

Corey Maggette only started a couple games in his one season at Duke (Chris Carrawell/Shane Battier got the rest) and was a lottery pick. He's been in the league for something-like 15 years now and has avg'd 16pts 5rebs and 2 asts over that period. Battier puts up smaller numbers and Carrawell barely even had a cup of coffee in the league.

Tai's ceiling is much higher than any of the starting guards you mentioned. That doesn't mean anything though. He could start. He could be the 6th man. He could blow up and dominate. He could struggle and take some time to figure it out. He could start, play 30 mpg, and look incredible at times while looking completely out of his element at others.

You seem to be wanting to make it as black and white as possible, while there's a ton of gray area.

Well, the reason I think it's incongruous is that we've had players come in before and start right away at the point.  True freshmen.  And they haven't been the talent upgrades we're all hoping Tai is.  If Tai is that much of a talent upgrade, which you indicate you believe he is, then he'll be starting and starting soon.  Maybe not from game 1 but not long into the season.  That is, IF he's as good as people say.  If he's not starting soon, then he's not the upgrade we all hoped he'd be.  To me, saying that he's that talented is incompatible with predicting he'll be up and down and struggle.

"Talent" struggles all the time."Talent" can also bust-out of D1 and never play again or go to a smaller school. Saying someone is talented doesn't automatically equal success. Also, just because someone is starting does not mean they are all that talented. Conversely, just because someone isn't starting does not mean they aren't talented.

Corey Maggette only started a couple games in his one season at Duke (Chris Carrawell/Shane Battier got the rest) and was a lottery pick. He's been in the league for something-like 15 years now and has avg'd 16pts 5rebs and 2 asts over that period. Battier puts up smaller numbers and Carrawell barely even had a cup of coffee in the league.

Tai's ceiling is much higher than any of the starting guards you mentioned. That doesn't mean anything though. He could start. He could be the 6th man. He could blow up and dominate. He could struggle and take some time to figure it out. He could start, play 30 mpg, and look incredible at times while looking completely out of his element at others.

You seem to be wanting to make it as black and white as possible, while there's a ton of gray area.

I've heard there are 50 shades of grey!

OK, so now you're going all Corey Maggette on me.  I see how you are.

OK, so now you're going all Corey Maggette on me.  I see how you are.

I thought about going all Dion Waiters (best player at Syracuse for his two years there, never started a game, drafted #4), but that would've been a jerkmove. My apologies for the Maggette attack.

Tristain Thompson (another recent example)

Tristain Thompson (another recent example)

TT started all but 2 games at Texas though. Or are you talking about him sitting behind Andy Varejao

no, i guess im hinting at that while at texas he did a couple things goods, but they all thought he'd be back to round out his game. his production was good, i  and others thought he'd return, and was suprised with how high he was drafted...