2015 Ben Simmons?

lanigan123

Kamdy, do you have any sense how Exum compares with Tai Webster in terms of skills?  I know they play different back court positions with Dante more of a wing and Tai more of a combo backcourt guard.  But, relative to their position, how does Tai stack up?  Any idea?

not the person to whom the question was asked, but here is what DraftExpress has on the two:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tai-Webster-61833/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dante-Exum-36198/

Kamdy, do you have any sense how Exum compares with Tai Webster in terms of skills?  I know they play different back court positions with Dante more of a wing and Tai more of a combo backcourt guard.  But, relative to their position, how does Tai stack up?  Any idea?

not the person to whom the question was asked, but here is what DraftExpress has on the two:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tai-Webster-61833/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dante-Exum-36198/

OK, so they haven't really looked at Tai Webster yet, then?

Exum is just a better player than Webster from everything I've seen.  Granted I've only seen Exum play in person and not Webster but Exum is an elite talent.  He's already penciled in to the draft lottery top 5 for the 2014 draft and for good reason.  When he played against Team USA's top seniors last year he played better than most of them as a junior.  There was actually talk this summer, since Australians and NZ'ers graduate in December, that he may come to the US and play the second semester of school to jump to the NBA but that has since been tempered down and he says he will play a full year in college first.  Odds on favorite is Indiana but his dad played for UNC and Roy Williams finally pulled his head out of his butt and offered him.  Must be nice to wait so long and still have a shot at a top 5 player.

Exum is just a better player than Webster from everything I've seen.  Granted I've only seen Exum play in person and not Webster but Exum is an elite talent.  He's already penciled in to the draft lottery top 5 for the 2014 draft and for good reason.  When he played against Team USA's top seniors last year he played better than most of them as a junior.  There was actually talk this summer, since Australians and NZ'ers graduate in December, that he may come to the US and play the second semester of school to jump to the NBA but that has since been tempered down and he says he will play a full year in college first.  Odds on favorite is Indiana but his dad played for UNC and Roy Williams finally pulled his head out of his butt and offered him.  Must be nice to wait so long and still have a shot at a top 5 player.

Kamdy, I know you haven't seen a lot of him, but what's your sense of Webster?  Is he worthy of the hype he got from Fran Fraschilla?  I know we'll all see soon enough, but I'm just curious if he's going to need a period of adjustment before he's ready to contribute.  What's your sense?

Kamdy, I know you haven't seen a lot of him, but what's your sense of Webster?  Is he worthy of the hype he got from Fran Fraschilla?  I know we'll all see soon enough, but I'm just curious if he's going to need a period of adjustment before he's ready to contribute.  What's your sense?

from what I've seen on tape Tai has some great flashes of talent but I dont see consistency from him.  I think hes been a big fish in a small pond and could get away with a lot which sometimes creates bad habits.  I do feel the summer league he played in definitely helped him realize he has a lot of work ahead of him and that he has the potential to be a very good player.  I think he's a guy people will have to give him at least half a season before we start to see things really click for him and that next year he should really take off.

I don't think that Tai and Exum have actually played against each other at any tournaments. Back in 2011 they would have faced off with each other in the U/17s, but Tai did not play for New Zealand, instead going to Italy to play in the World Youth 3v3 Champs (which NZ won).

In 2012 there was a little debate as to who was better (just after Tai played well for the NZ senior mens team), however I think now Exum has solidified himself as the better prospect. Exum is longer and more athletic, which he makes full use of in his game.

I get the feeling that in his freshman year you can probably expect Tai to turn the ball over a bit and he may be a streaky shooter....time will tell!

On Topic: The Huskers have 0.0% chance of getting Simmons  :)

I don't think that Tai and Exum have actually played against each other at any tournaments. Back in 2011 they would have faced off with each other in the U/17s, but Tai did not play for New Zealand, instead going to Italy to play in the World Youth 3v3 Champs (which NZ won).

In 2012 there was a little debate as to who was better (just after Tai played well for the NZ senior mens team), however I think now Exum has solidified himself as the better prospect. Exum is longer and more athletic, which he makes full use of in his game.

I get the feeling that in his freshman year you can probably expect Tai to turn the ball over a bit and he may be a streaky shooter....time will tell!

On Topic: The Huskers have 0.0% chance of getting Simmons  :)

Great insight as always

I think the expectations and hype surrounding Tai should be tempered. I watched a few full game videos, and frankly, the competition looked like anything you'd find at the campus rec on a given weekday. The kid may turn out to be very good, but Steven Adams was a very highly touted New Zealander, had a chance to acclimate at ND Prep, was declared a 5*/top-10 player in his class... then went to Pitt, only avg'd 7pts 6rebs, and looked incredibly soft while doing so (then promptly declared for the NBA... you can't "teach" size... yadda yadda...).

Let's also remember that Fran Fraschilla will take any chance he can to slobber over any international player. I don't think he's ever NOT raved about an import. He once called Yi Jianlian "the future".

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

I think the expectations and hype surrounding Tai should be tempered. I watched a few full game videos, and frankly, the competition looked like anything you'd find at the campus rec on a given weekday. The kid may turn out to be very good, but Steven Adams was a very highly touted New Zealander, had a chance to acclimate at ND Prep, was declared a 5*/top-10 player in his class... then went to Pitt, only avg'd 7pts 6rebs, and looked incredibly soft while doing so (then promptly declared for the NBA... you can't "teach" size... yadda yadda...).

2 FWIW

1. While the day to day competition isn't that great in New Zealand he's been holding his own against pros there and during the Olympic qualifiers at the age of 17.  It would be shocking if he wasn't a major contributor this year
  2. Adams might have under performed, but he still was drafted in the first round of the NBA draft.

• While the day to day competition isn't that great in New Zealand A.) he's been holding his own against pros there B.) and during the Olympic qualifiers at the age of 17.  It would be shocking if he wasn't a major contributor this year
  • Adams might have under performed, but he still was drafted in the first round of the NBA draft.

1. A.) The pro league in NZ is not exactly strong. B.) He got hot from three versus Angola.

2. Like I said above, you can't teach size. See: Hasheem Thabeet.

All I'm saying is we might want to chill a bit.

• While the day to day competition isn't that great in New Zealand A.) he's been holding his own against pros there B.) and during the Olympic qualifiers at the age of 17. It would be shocking if he wasn't a major contributor this year
  • Adams might have under performed, but he still was drafted in the first round of the NBA draft.

1. A.) The pro league in NZ is not exactly strong. B.) He got hot from three versus Angola.

I agree with Cell's analysis. I don't expect Tai to run the offense much because it'll take time to adjust to the speed of the game (turnovers would be an issue). He will likely be very streaky on offense and a work on progress on defense. It'll be very up and down. But he will be one of - if not our best - talent, and will be a major contributor.

• While the day to day competition isn't that great in New Zealand A.) he's been holding his own against pros there B.) and during the Olympic qualifiers at the age of 17. It would be shocking if he wasn't a major contributor this year

I agree with Cell's analysis. I don't expect Tai to run the offense much because it'll take time to adjust to the speed of the game (turnovers would be an issue). He will likely be very streaky on offense and a work on progress on defense. It'll be very up and down. But he will be one of - if not our best - talent, and will be a major contributor.

Your two contentions -- that Tai will be perhaps our most talented player and a major contributor, and yet that he'll take time to adjust and won't run the offense much -- seem contradictory to me.  We've had freshmen come in here and start at point.  Jake Muhleisen, Cookie Miller and Benny Parker just in this century.  (And one each for the last three coaches.)   And none of those players came in here as heralded as Tai Webster.  If he's that good, he should be a starter.  We don't have an heir apparent at point.  It should be Tai's job to lose.

From Tai's Husker bio:  "After graduating from Westlake Boys High School last winter, Webster played for the Waikato Pistons in the National Basketball League in New Zealand. This spring, he averaged 18.5 points, 3.9 rebounds and 4.4 assists per game despite being the youngest player in the league."  That's while playing against grown men on teams with former D1 college players on them.  And he put up numbers that would have been impressive on the AAU circuit where they don't play defense.

I agree with you that he's talented, perhaps even our most talented recruit.  If that turns out to be true, then I disagree that he'll need time to adjust and will be a work in progress.  The adjusting is happening now.  By the time the first game rolls around, he should be ready to go.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but let me just add this about Tai.

I find it extremely telling that the only guys we appear to be looking at for our 2014 recruiting class are bigs. 

We had some PGs on our radar before Tai was cleared.  Now that Tai is cleared and the coaches have had a chance to watch him in practices and workouts or whatever you want to call them -- to kick the tires and know what they have -- we aren't looking at any guards anymore.  New players come on the radar from time to time and, so far, none of them are point guards.  Appears we're only looking for players 6'8" and larger.

That tells me Tim Miles is comfortable with the point guard spot.  And if he's comfortable, it's not because of Benny Parker or Mike Peltz.  And probably not because of Deverell Biggs either.

Your two contentions -- that Tai will be perhaps our most talented player and a major contributor, and yet that he'll take time to adjust and won't run the offense much -- seem contradictory to me.  We've had freshmen come in here and start at point.  Jake Muhleisen, Cookie Miller and Benny Parker just in this century.  (And one each for the last three coaches.)   And none of those players came in here as heralded as Tai Webster.  If he's that good, he should be a starter.  We don't have an heir apparent at point.  It should be Tai's job to lose.

From Tai's Husker bio:  "After graduating from Westlake Boys High School last winter, Webster played for the Waikato Pistons in the National Basketball League in New Zealand. This spring, he averaged 18.5 points, 3.9 rebounds and 4.4 assists per game despite being the youngest player in the league."  That's while playing against grown men on teams with former D1 college players on them.  And he put up numbers that would have been impressive on the AAU circuit where they don't play defense.

I agree with you that he's talented, perhaps even our most talented recruit.  If that turns out to be true, then I disagree that he'll need time to adjust and will be a work in progress.  The adjusting is happening now.  By the time the first game rolls around, he should be ready to go.

My prediction is that Webster plays a lot of off guard to start the year - because I believe he will have a large adjustment period. It's a completely different speed. Tai said so himself. You can only adjust so much in practice - game speed is another level.

I don't think that my statements were contradictory - I think he will be one of our most talented players and a large contributor. I don't think he will be relied upon to run the offense early and I think he will be very streaky as he adjusts.

I think that he will get time at point this year - as a part of his development - and that he will be the point guard of the future. Your succeeding post makes a very good point and I agree with the reasoning. I think he will be inconsistent this year and will take time to adjust.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Petteway and Biggs split time running the point during meaningful minutes to start the season. I think Tai will certainly have his opportunities - especially against weaker opponents where we can afford to live with some mistakes.

Well, the reason I think it's incongruous is that we've had players come in before and start right away at the point.  True freshmen.  And they haven't been the talent upgrades we're all hoping Tai is.  If Tai is that much of a talent upgrade, which you indicate you believe he is, then he'll be starting and starting soon.  Maybe not from game 1 but not long into the season.  That is, IF he's as good as people say.  If he's not starting soon, then he's not the upgrade we all hoped he'd be.  To me, saying that he's that talented is incompatible with predicting he'll be up and down and struggle. 

Having said that, I don't know if he's that good.  But I have my reasons for believing he is.

First, as pointed out above, Miles seems not to be looking at filling our recruiting spots with guards at this point.  If Tai came in after getting cleared and looked not ready for prime time, Miles would probably be scouring the recruiting circuits looking for point guards.  From all we can tell, that isn't the case.

Second, look at the numbers Tai posted against grown men in his NZ professional league.  Granted, NZ professional isn't NBA.  But those leagues contain former D1 players from this country.  Each team had a couple former American college players with D1 credentials.  These guys aren't scrubs.  They'd be like Ade Dagunduro types.  Good enough to play professionally, just not in the NBA.  Tai more than held his own this summer against that level of talent.  That's a higher level of play than most of our recruits would have experienced.  Certainly higher than last year's Day 1 starter at point guard.

Having watched Tai's HS national championship game film, I was really worried about what kind of player he might be.  But watching him play for his professional team erased my fears.  Keep in mind, while he might have turned the ball over more than a few times in this professional league, they have a very short shot clock, he played for one of the worst teams in the league, and he was forced to rush some things at the end of the shot clock.