C Elbert Robinson -> LSU

Hooper

The Spring Signing Period is 6 months away. A lot of time to find another player.

Realistically, unless we have a in-road to someone we don't know about today, it's going to be awfully tough to upgrade our talent with a 2014 signee.  And by upgrade, I mean signing a legitimate top 50-100 player.  I guess I am a little more cautious than most on Hammond's potential. It concerns me that the guy has played at 4 schools in 4 years, commits, then de-commits to OU.  We'll see.

Getting a top 50 recruit to consider us until the final weeks is it's own form of progress at NU, though.

All you can do is wish him luck...then unfollow.

It will be interesting to see if his LSU followers will offset the Huskers fleeing.

I won't wish him any ill will and hope his dreams come true.  That said, he choose another school so I will not wish him good luck either. 

*Sidenote, I will wish him all the luck in the world when LSU plays Misery.

Disappointed, but I think we'll be ok. Elbert is a very big dude, but he is not shaq.

Best case scenario for Elbert is that he works himself into shape and is the next roy hibbert.

I think it will take him at least a year or 2 before he can dominate the college level.

I can't stand these posts. Coming out of the woodwork and knocking a kid's ability after he goes elsewhere is so

juvenile.

The coaches obviously wanted him very bad as they made him their top priory and put tons of resources into recruiting him so obviously they thought he was pretty good. Trying to rationalize it as not a big loss after he picks another school is pretty lame.

This is NOT sour grapes - like many on here, I assumed our chances were slim a couple of weeks after his visit when we had not received a commit - but screw the SEC and I'm guessing someone got paid. Not that he would've chosen us over LSU or OSU had he not gotten paid... but I'd bet my left nut that someone got paid.

This part IS sour grapes... I get messing with the OSU fans if OSU told them "they wanted him but didn't need him"... I don't get the tweet to Washut saying "sup" right before he commits. Perturbs me a little...

The bottom line is that Elbert is a project as a player and far from a sure thing, but he was the kind of project that most coaches around the country would be thrilled to take on. I'm bummed we didn't get him, but hardly surprised. 

As soon as LSU got into the picture, I figured we were in trouble. First of all, I concur that this may not have been completely above board. His dad's comments that Elbert needed to slow the process down after the LSU visit was a red flag to me, because my first thought was that dad was hoping for a bidding war. As with Atewe, any time an SEC school gets in the picture, I'm suspicious.

The other factor is that prior to LSU entering the picture, Nebraska was the closest out-of-state school he was considering. LSU gave him an option even closer to home.

This is NOT sour grapes - like many on here, I assumed our chances were slim a couple of weeks after his visit when we had not received a commit - but screw the SEC and I'm guessing someone got paid. Not that he would've chosen us over LSU or OSU had he not gotten paid... but I'd bet my left nut that someone got paid.

This part IS sour grapes... I get messing with the OSU fans if OSU told them "they wanted him but didn't need him"... I don't get the tweet to Washut saying "sup" right before he commits. Perturbs me a little...

I held my tongue on this just in case we got him, but yeah, not cool.  I guess we don't know his intent, but to me it seems awfully childish.  Maybe it's his way of acknowledging each fan base.  Maybe he felt compelled to respond.  Or maybe he was rubbing everyone's nose in it.  I didn't know about the Washut tweet...

For the record, I admit I would have never said that had we got him. 

Elbert put up 22 and 17 in AAU games over the summer.  IIRC, he shoots around 80% from the line.  He might be a project but that's a relative term.  He's not a project like Sergej is a project.  He's a project like you might have described Aleks Maric was a project.  Elbert has very high upside.  Great, soft hands.  Fantastic physical specimen with some skills.

According to his AAU coach, he's going to the NBA after one year.

So yeah it sucks to lose out on a player with his talent.....but he's not a guy we were going to build our team around for the next 4 years. He wasn't going to make or break this program. I see him like DeAndre Jordan at A&M, he'll come in and put up about 10 pts and 5 rbs and then jump to the NBA.