OK, so shiny new arena, practically new team, nearly new coach ...

Norm, thanks for the thread.  It's certainly a concern that we don't capitalize on this unique moment in our Husker Hoops history.   Hopefully the crowd that will be in the new digs will be people who really want to be there ( like the NIT home crowds in the past ). That is certainly a start.  I have given this topic some thought over the last several months.   The one thing I have thought of is bringing some enthusiasm to the section where I will be sitting.   I'd like to approach it like it is my responsibility to do what I can to encourage others to have fun and be loud in my section.   My hope is with all things being new and the current uptick of the program that others will be more willing to join in than if I'd have tried that at the Devaney.

That being said here are some broader suggestions in the spirit of this thread.....

I like the idea that Silverbacked1 has with the other teams intro, just being totally quiet. I also loved the drummers thing from last year.   I say that as soon as the other teams intros are done the drummers come out and everybody goes absolutely nuts.  If you gotta have a little music video thing on the scoreboard, keep it fairly short.   Then as OUR team's starting lineup is being introduced, everybody just makes great effort to go nuts.

I like the "GOT IT !!" idea for 3's.   For the timing problem, you wait for the PA guy to say " three pointer by Nick Fuller" then everybody yells "GOT IT" as soon as he gets the words out of his mouth.

Not big at all on copying others people stuff too closely.  Like someone mentioned back in the early 90's, when  we and lots of other people used the song that maybe Kansas popularized ( rock and roll 2 ? or whatever it was called that someone posted the youtube video to in this thread ).   Stay away from other's stuff ...do our own.   All of a sudden we start playing "Sweet Caroline" or do the "jump around"....really ??

I don't think the standing until we score thing is going to go away, so we have to make that better.   Really get after the other team and then when we score our first bucket just go bonkers.   Here is a point Norm was making, helping our team rally when they are down--let's say we have a crappy start and get down 10-0....then we finally get our first points of the game.   We have to go nuts at that point and really get after the other team/encourage ours with huge fervor.

Free throws.  In my opinion you keep the other team guessing.   Sometimes you have everybody behind the basket totally quiet and one person screams bloody murder as the guy is shooting.   The next time there is lots of motion by everybody.  You can of course used signs and different chants and yelling funny things ( even innocent silly things ).

I hate the left right left right thing...tons of people do this, too cliche.   I'm just throwing out silly ideas....make up a chant or something stupid like "2-4-6-8  SIT DOWN" or "you fouled out, go sit down" and repeat it 5 times or whatever.   I'm sure someone can come up with something classic that can endure ??

"Husker Power" , we seem to have varied opinions on this one.    Someone mentioned that it works good at the football games how they do it.   IMHO, it does not work how they do it at the basketball games ...it's slow, forced and OLD !

I love the idea of a victory celebration song or haunting chant as the game winds down with the victory in hand.

I wonder why confetti needs to be limited to the student section.

We should have everyone in the arena throw confetti after the first hoop.  Have it be like the basketball version of balloons at Memorial Stadium.

That would be pretty awful for the people who have to clean the place.  I think we have that covered with the standing until the first basket.

One thing I loved doing in the student section in high school was to pick one of the other team's starters and chant at him when he committed a foul.

One guy in the crowd would stand up after that player committed a foul and turn around to the student section.  He'd yell "Who did it?" and we'd all yell back, while pointing at the player, "He did it!"  We would do this three times and end the last one with "Don't do it again! (prick)."

That might still be the best one I know of.

Jadler, there are obviously certain game situations where the crowd needs some go-to kind of chant or cheer.  I don't know if you have any kind of list.   In other words, if this is the situation, then here's what we do.

Maybe they won't let you do it, but I'd like to see some sort of planned method of razzing the officials for a blown call.  You guys have anything for that?

I think people should stand until the other team scores. Could be a way to get them into the game and it could help give us energy on defense at the start of the game. The longer it goes on the louder people will get and it could help energize us out of the gates.

Oh dear god. Was that during Collier era when we tried this or during one of Doc's first couple years? Whenever they made us try that, it was awful. They came over the PA and announced this crazy new method of standing until the OPPOSING teams scores its first basket, and well, it didnt work. Half the people sat down after our first bucket and the other half remained standing and just starting taking their seats one by one until everyone was sitting.

I think people should stand until the other team scores. Could be a way to get them into the game and it could help give us energy on defense at the start of the game. The longer it goes on the louder people will get and it could help energize us out of the gates.

Oh dear god. Was that during Collier era when we tried this or during one of Doc's first couple years? Whenever they made us try that, it was awful. They came over the PA and announced this crazy new method of standing until the OPPOSING teams scores its first basket, and well, it didnt work. Half the people sat down after our first bucket and the other half remained standing and just starting taking their seats one by one until everyone was sitting.

That is the fault of the execution, not the concept it sounds like to me.  Not even close which concept provides more of an impact in theory.  

That is the fault of the execution, not the concept it sounds like to me. Not even close which concept provides more of an impact in theory.

I guess now would be as good a time as any to try it with all the newbies coming into the fold. The reason it didnt really work before was because everyone was so used to year after year of sitting when WE scored.

It was Collier.  Good idea in theory (especially since our fans love to sit on their hands, and during our history, they would have been able to sit alot sooner if they could sit when the other team scored rather than us), but the NU standing ritual was completely entrenched. I think a goat and/or 10,000 virgins would need to be sacrificed to get the "stand until WE score" tradition expunged from Nebraska basketball.   

That is the fault of the execution, not the concept it sounds like to me. Not even close which concept provides more of an impact in theory.

I guess now would be as good a time as any to try it with all the newbies coming into the fold. The reason it didnt really work before was because everyone was so used to year after year of sitting when WE scored.

Yeah.  Current method seems kind of lame.  Doesn't exactly get peoples juices flowing.  And can actually add undu pressure on our kids if we start with a drought.  We need to come up with ways for the crowd to make a difference, like Norm said. 

Well, if the crowd was committed to making noise during each defensive series while standing until we score, we'd at least get some noise factor going. 

But one of the problems with standing until the other team scores was that it didn't really make any difference.  Either way, you're standing quietly until one team or the other scores.  And both teams will probably have scored at least once within the first couple of minutes so it just seemed like an arbitrary and unnecessary change.  Stand till we score or stand till they score.  Not sure it matters which so stick with the one we've been doing.

" Either way, you're standing quietly until one team or the other scores.  And both teams will probably have scored at least once within the first couple of minutes so it just seemed like an arbitrary and unnecessary change." 

Selective memory, Norm.....I can remember a lot of games we stood for like an hour and a half.....

Yeah, good point, HB.  :P

OK, another idea.  There are three basic levels of this new place.  The lower bowl, the middle shelf and the upper bowl.

If we divided the "Go Big Red!" cheer up among the three sections (with the end seats of the lower bowl joining the upper bowl), you could do a "Go Big Red!" cheer that starts and finishes in the lower bowl.

Someone at ground level could initiate with "Go!"  Then the 200 level responds with "Big!"  And the 300s and the lower bowl end seats finish with a huge "RED!"

Would that work?  How about for either the opening of each half or for the last media timeout of each half when it's important for your team to be jazzed up and playing well?