Creighton jibber jabber

nebrasketball10

If you're going to care in any thread I suppose it's this one, but who gives a crap what Creighton is doing two years from now?  When Greg McD adopts a 6'10' power forward and starts playing his new son ALL YOUR PROJECTIONS GO OUT THE WINDOW.

I can't figure out how this is a board that lives and breathes basketball and yet it seems most people can name more members off the Creighton roster than any other team in the B1G. 

If you're going to care in any thread I suppose it's this one, but who gives a crap what Creighton is doing two years from now?

I typed up a similar response in many different ways and decided to leave it alone.  Who knows what will happen in two years.  Jays fans should enjoy the ride and Husker fans should enjoy what they have going on.

If you're going to care in any thread I suppose it's this one, but who gives a crap what Creighton is doing two years from now?

I typed up a similar response in many different ways and decided to leave it alone.  Who knows what will happen in two years.  Jays fans should enjoy the ride and Husker fans should enjoy what they have going on.

Very sensible post. Once again Cousin Mose is the voice of reason.  Does that have any place on messge boards?  ;)

Whatever Creighton is like in 2 years, I will still be there, as will many others. (Just like Nebraska fans have stuck with their basketball team.)I've had season tickets since 1981. However, I still would like to know how people feel about a true round-robin format of scheduling compared to what some of the bigger conferences do? I am just so use to playing every team in your conference home and away that I would really miss it.

If you're going to care in any thread I suppose it's this one, but who gives a crap what Creighton is doing two years from now?  When Greg McD adopts a 6'10' power forward and starts playing his new son ALL YOUR PROJECTIONS GO OUT THE WINDOW.

I can't figure out how this is a board that lives and breathes basketball and yet it seems most people can name more members off the Creighton roster than any other team in the B1G. 

Well....quite a few of us live in Nebraska.  Do you think Wisconsin fans know more about Nebraska basketball than they do Marquette?  I really doubt it.  And of course quite a few Creighton fans have signed up for this board.....I can't say the same for Big 10 fans just yet. 

Well....quite a few of us live in Nebraska.  Do you think Wisconsin fans know more about Nebraska basketball than they do Marquette?  I really doubt it.  And of course quite a few Creighton fans have signed up for this board.....I can't say the same for Big 10 fans just yet. 

frangraphs_neb_medium.jpg

Why don't we get these guys twice this year?!?!?! 

Why do I not get to let Mike Gesell know in person that I think he made a bad choice in colleges?!?!?

DAMN B1G FOR BEING A MEGA-CONFERENCE INCAPABLE OF PROPERLY ROUND ROBIN-ING. AAHHHHHHHH!

ALSO DAMN THEM FOR MAKING US ONLY PLAY MICHIGAN AT HOME!!!

OH WHY MUST WE SUFFER THIS INDIGNITY???

DONT THEY KNOW THAT A TRUE ROUND-ROBIN SCHEDULE IS THE ONLY WAY???

Thanks for the intelligent discussion. I was hoping to hear your thoughts. Just because I said that I would miss a round robin  format does not mean that it is the best. My, must we be so touchy. Do you only play Iowa once this year?

Thanks for the intelligent discussion. I was hoping to hear your thoughts. Just because I said that I would miss a round robin  format does not mean that it is the best. My, must we be so touchy. Do you only play Iowa once this year?

Playing each team home and away is easily the best methodology for any league in scheduling.  

"Touchy" is not the emotion I would use to describe my reference of your post in my wish that we would have Iowa on our schedule twice.

What is the best way to set up a non-round robin schedule?  THAT, it's a question worth answering.  I liked the way the Big 12 scheduled and split more than the B1G does it now though maybe that's the price of a 14 team conference vs a 12 team.

It seems the feeling is quite mutual.  Or a little more than mutual.

Here's a post from Bluejay Bilas (which, as an aside, would be a more clever nickname if it was BlueJay Bilas -- subtle, but it makes a difference) from the Bluejay Underground site:

I'm not half the Husker hater some of you are. Nor, am I a Husker football fan like a few of you. When we're not playing them, I'm kind of ambivalent.

But, I could not help but chuckle this morning when I saw that Tim Miles' first 2015 commit is an Aussie. Dude (Miles, not the Aussie) comes in basically trashing the harmless and mostly good-natured Doc Sadler by saying that he (Miles, not Sadler) only enjoys jucos and international players in moderation. Fast forward about 18 months, and he's signed up, if my memory's correct, 2 jucos, 3 international players, 2 transfers (i.e., jucos who attended a 4-year rather than a junior college for a year or two), and 3 high school kids. 10 Miles kids for the '12 through '15 classes so far, and only three are American high school recruits. So, basically Miles is half publicist with a whistle and clipboard, and half "turnaround artist" who can't actually execute the recruiting strategy he wants to execute. Don't be surprised when #Nebrasketball finishes between 10th and 14th the next four seasons, and a new coach begins telling the media that he doesn't see twitter as a useful coaching tool, and that he values actions more than words.

I put the quote in italics in a pretty font because that seemed to be more suitable for the refined sensibilities of our Creighton friends.  But, beyond that ... Seriously?  This guy frickin' knows the origin of every player Miles has recruited since he's been here?  And we're the ones obsessed with THEM?  Hey, top that, Husker fans.  How many jucos has Greg McDermott recruited to Creighton?  Anyone?  Yeah, I don't know either.

P.S.  There's nothing that says "ambivalent" quite like knowing the origin of every recruit signed by the Huskers since Miles has been here.

Here's a post from Bluejay Bilas (which, as an aside, would be a more clever nickname if it was BlueJay Bilas -- subtle, but it makes a difference) from the Bluejay Underground site:

I'm not half the Husker hater some of you are. Nor, am I a Husker football fan like a few of you. When we're not playing them, I'm kind of ambivalent.

But, I could not help but chuckle this morning when I saw that Tim Miles' first 2015 commit is an Aussie. Dude (Miles, not the Aussie) comes in basically trashing the harmless and mostly good-natured Doc Sadler by saying that he (Miles, not Sadler) only enjoys jucos and international players in moderation. Fast forward about 18 months, and he's signed up, if my memory's correct, 2 jucos, 3 international players, 2 transfers (i.e., jucos who attended a 4-year rather than a junior college for a year or two), and 3 high school kids. 10 Miles kids for the '12 through '15 classes so far, and only three are American high school recruits. So, basically Miles is half publicist with a whistle and clipboard, and half "turnaround artist" who can't actually execute the recruiting strategy he wants to execute. Don't be surprised when #Nebrasketball finishes between 10th and 14th the next four seasons, and a new coach begins telling the media that he doesn't see twitter as a useful coaching tool, and that he values actions more than words.

I put the quote in italics in a pretty font because that seemed to be more suitable for the refined sensibilities of our Creighton friends.  But, beyond that ... Seriously?  This guy frickin' knows the origin of every player Miles has recruited since he's been here?  And we're the ones obsessed with THEM?  Hey, top that, Husker fans.  How many jucos has Greg McDermott recruited to Creighton?  Anyone?  Yeah, I don't know either.

P.S.  There's nothing that says "ambivalent" quite like knowing the origin of every recruit signed by the Huskers since Miles has been here.

First, I like how you've been going over to other boards to bring arguments back to this board where the person who made the comment doesn't have the ability to respond or clarify.  Second, the answer is two, he's recruited two to Creighton.

First, I like how you've been going over to other boards to bring arguments back to this board where the person who made the comment doesn't have the ability to respond or clarify.  Second, the answer is two, he's recruited two to Creighton.

Mose, buddy, I love ya, but I think you miss the point.

Dimes was lamenting that it seemed that so many of the Husker fans on this board seem more familiar with Creighton's basketball team than with any other team in our own conference.  As though that's somehow not natural or not normal or not ... something.

The quoted material was intended to show that people on the Creighton board seem to know us as well. 

Second ... if Bluejay Bilas wants to come sign up for an account, I'm sure he'd be more than welcome.  Right?  I mean, we've had overt and covert Creighton fans on this board for as long as I can remember.

And third, ... what am I doing?  Going to other boards and bringing back arguments what?  Clarify that one for me, please.

It appears to me that that person would have more than ample opportunity to respond or clarify over here if he deemed it necessary. But I doubt he would feel like it was worth his time to come here and register to do so, just like none of us want to put any effort into registering over there.  So, we pull the quotes over here for discussion.

Second, there is no law or rule of etiquette that I am aware of that says a person is not allowed to lift a quote from one messageboard and paste it on another.  If the original quote is intended for one group of people to see only, then it might be a good idea to not put that quote in a publicly viewable forum.  Similarly, it is poor form to get all upset about the practice of doing so.  It would be akin to Robin Washut (or Brian Rosenthal) getting angry at us for quoting his tweets here for the purpose of discussion.

Mose, buddy, I love ya, but I think you miss the point.

Dimes was lamenting that it seemed that so many of the Husker fans on this board seem more familiar with Creighton's basketball team than with any other team in our own conference.  As though that's somehow not natural or not normal or not ... something.

The quoted material was intended to show that people on the Creighton board seem to know us as well. 

Second ... if Bluejay Bilas wants to come sign up for an account, I'm sure he'd be more than welcome.  Right?  I mean, we've had overt and covert Creighton fans on this board for as long as I can remember.

And third, ... what am I doing?  Going to other boards and bringing back arguments what?  Clarify that one for me, please.

First, I see, I did misinterpret, and in all honesty it would make sense that you would know Creighton more than, say Purdue.  Next door neighbors, news in the same papers, etc.

Second, this changes due to my misinterpretation.

Third, you did this same thing in the other Creighton thread, the one you started, which is fine, you do what you want and it does make for a good jumping off point for a conversation.  My point was, its not fair to cherry pick something without context and without the ability for the poster to clarify and make it the broad brush opinion of the fanbase.  

I am usually more thoughtful and understanding of the context intended.  Not my first mistake.

To the point of the Creighton poster, do you think Miles' schnapps comment with be Sadler's baseline to baseline comment?  Doesn't really matter if it works I suppose, but don't you wonder whey these guys open their months and make proclamations at all? This is why Saban is so boring.

That was all, but again, two, Coach Mac has recruited two JUCO's to Creighton.  

It appears to me that that person would have more than ample opportunity to respond or clarify over here if he deemed it necessary. But I doubt he would feel like it was worth his time to come here and register to do so, just like none of us want to put any effort into registering over there.  So, we pull the quotes over here for discussion.

Second, there is no law or rule of etiquette that I am aware of that says a person is not allowed to lift a quote from one messageboard and paste it on another.  If the original quote is intended for one group of people to see only, then it might be a good idea to not put that quote in a publicly viewable forum.  Similarly, it is poor form to get all upset about the practice of doing so.  It would be akin to Robin Washut (or Brian Rosenthal) getting angry at us for quoting his tweets here for the purpose of discussion.

You are right.

To the point of the Creighton poster, do you think Miles' schnapps comment with be Sadler's baseline to baseline comment?  Doesn't really matter if it works I suppose, but don't you wonder whey these guys open their months and make proclamations at all? This is why Saban is so boring.

As long as Harriman is driving home, I think the coach will be alright drinking more Schnapps than he thinks.

If we start winning more, Husker fans will buy him the next bottle.

Now that THAT'S all cleared  up...  :)

There is a whole lot of wrong in that quote, isn't there, Norm?  ;)

Still, it is astonishing how closely some Bluejay fans pay to our recruiting, isn't it?  Furthermore, that they have the audacity to look so full of disdain down their noses at it.

Hubris, kiddos.  You might wanna look it up in the dictionary sometime.

That's all I have to say about that.  For now.

Two JUCOS, yeah, Mose, but how many foreign guys?  HUH?  We've got THREE of 'em!  THREE!  So there!

Anyway, don't know if this "Schnapps" comment will turn out to be Miles' "baseline to baseline" but it seems to be fairly commonplace that new coaches come in and talk a good talk.  You might not remember this but, Bill Callahan was hired to coach the Nebraska football team a few years back and he made some boastful comments at this hiring press conference that he got ripped for as the years went on before he was fired.  He made a comment about his offensive philosophy that, basically, we don't take what the defense gives us; we take what we want.

The knock on Doc was that he made a comment about his offensive philosophy that some people think he clearly didn't mean.  He said we'd be up-tempo but that's not what he ran, nor was it consistent with the players he recruited.  If he had come in and recruited to that kind of philosophy, people might not have mocked him as much for having said it.

Now, Miles commenting about international players and jucos being like Schnapps, best enjoyed in moderation.  I guess it depends on who your jucos and international players are.

He's recruited two jucos:  Deverell Biggs and Leslee Smith.  One of them, when he signed his LOI, became the first Husker scholarship basketball recruit from the state of Nebraska in 10 years.  That was a big deal.  Smith was a guy who met an immediate need and even Miles allowed for that in his comments.

On the subject of international players, not all international players are created equal.  So, Doc Sadler had a few international guys:  Niemann, Standhardinger, Diaz.  Of those three guys, NONE of them spent any time playing ball in America before they got to Nebraska.  Oh, maybe a tourney here or there but not for a domestic school.  Miles guys, Vucetic, Webster and Pinder?  Two out of three prepped or are prepping in the U.S. and the third, Webster, is such a special case, you take the kid whether he's an international player or not.  I mean, this kid is good.

And when they come from an English-speaking country, I don't think there's such a transition issue.  Canada, for instance.  We tried getting a kid from Canada.  Didn't get him but tried.  He's going to transition better than a kid from, say, China or one of those Euro bigs.  Australia, New Zealand?  They play a fairly American version of the game.  Even Leslee Smith is from the Virgin Islands, but he spent time at SMU and at a juco.  He doesn't even sound foreign.

So, on the surface, maybe it looks like Miles is violating his own philosophy with the way he's recruiting.  But I think if you really look closer at it, it's not as much of a departure as Bluejay Bilas would have you believe.

Playing each team home and away is easily the best methodology for any league in scheduling.  

"Touchy" is not the emotion I would use to describe my reference of your post in my wish that we would have Iowa on our schedule twice.

What is the best way to set up a non-round robin schedule?  THAT, it's a question worth answering.  I liked the way the Big 12 scheduled and split more than the B1G does it now though maybe that's the price of a 14 team conference vs a 12 team.

Thanks. I probably should not have used "touchy." Are NU and Iowa not in the same division in basketball? If they are, why do they not play twice? I'm not slamming the Big 10 but this is why I do not like the mega-conferences. But, remember that is MY opinion and I'm not trying to push it on someone else. I do hope that the Big East keeps it at 10 teams, no matter how good or mediocre (time will tell) that it may be.

Two JUCOS, yeah, Mose, but how many foreign guys?  HUH?  We've got THREE of 'em!  THREE!  So there!

Anyway, don't know if this "Schnapps" comment will turn out to be Miles' "baseline to baseline" but it seems to be fairly commonplace that new coaches come in and talk a good talk.  You might not remember this but, Bill Callahan was hired to coach the Nebraska football team a few years back and he made some boastful comments at this hiring press conference that he got ripped for as the years went on before he was fired.  He made a comment about his offensive philosophy that, basically, we don't take what the defense gives us; we take what we want.

The knock on Doc was that he made a comment about his offensive philosophy that some people think he clearly didn't mean.  He said we'd be up-tempo but that's not what he ran, nor was it consistent with the players he recruited.  If he had come in and recruited to that kind of philosophy, people might not have mocked him as much for having said it.

Now, Miles commenting about international players and jucos being like Schnapps, best enjoyed in moderation.  I guess it depends on who your jucos and international players are.

He's recruited two jucos:  Deverell Biggs and Leslee Smith.  One of them, when he signed his LOI, became the first Husker scholarship basketball recruit from the state of Nebraska in 10 years.  That was a big deal.  Smith was a guy who met an immediate need and even Miles allowed for that in his comments.

On the subject of international players, not all international players are created equal.  So, Doc Sadler had a few international guys:  Niemann, Standhardinger, Diaz.  Of those three guys, NONE of them spent any time playing ball in America before they got to Nebraska.  Oh, maybe a tourney here or there but not for a domestic school.  Miles guys, Vucetic, Webster and Pinder?  Two out of three prepped or are prepping in the U.S. and the third, Webster, is such a special case, you take the kid whether he's an international player or not.  I mean, this kid is good.

And when they come from an English-speaking country, I don't think there's such a transition issue.  Canada, for instance.  We tried getting a kid from Canada.  Didn't get him but tried.  He's going to transition better than a kid from, say, China or one of those Euro bigs.  Australia, New Zealand?  They play a fairly American version of the game.  Even Leslee Smith is from the Virgin Islands, but he spent time at SMU and at a juco.  He doesn't even sound foreign.

So, on the surface, maybe it looks like Miles is violating his own philosophy with the way he's recruiting.  But I think if you really look closer at it, it's not as much of a departure as Bluejay Bilas would have you believe.

Don't worry, Norm. Most people do not believe Bluejay Bilas. By the way, CU does have one foreign player, "The Canadian Bull."

Yeah, well, that one was so self-evident.  Gregory Echinique was a juco, then, huh?

Transfers from 4-year school with three years of eligibility remaining are the same exact thing as junior college transfers.  Same thing.

Except, y'know, different.

McDermott didn't recruit Echinique, nor did he recruit Manigat.  They were both enrolled when he arrived.