Creighton jibber jabber

nebrasketball10

Just to explain why I think we match up better defensively this year ...

1.  We're far more athletic than we were last year, up and down the entire lineup.

2.  We're longer and deeper and have half a dozen players in the 6'5" to 6'8" range who all have good length and good to exceptional athleticism.

3.  Swapping Ubel and Almeida for Pitchford and Smith drops about 80 pounds, but adds about 40" in vertical leaping ability.

4.  Echinique isn't going to kill us this year like he did last year.

The Echinique thing is important because I think he'd still pose a significant challenge to our bigs this year.  Our bigs last year had better size in terms of bulk and heft to bang down low.  And I think Echinique would have a field day pushing around our new bigs.  But I don't know who you have this year who will push them around and they make up hugely in athleticism for what we had last year.  It's just a better match-up for us.

The question is whether we can defend the perimeter well enough that we don't get torched by trying to slow down Doug McDermott.  And a part of me wonders if you don't just let him get his 30 points and make everyone else beat you. 

The comment you made about Wragge -- to clarify my question or comment -- seemed to indicate that because Wragge is such a good shooter, he would be used to pull the opposing bigs out to the perimeter where he would be at an advantage.  In other words, that would seem to suggest that the opposing bigs would be out of their comfort zone and would be defending a situation they wouldn't necessarily be equipped to handle.  And then, on top of that, would be unable to help on McDermott.

I guess my thought is if you're playing Wragge as a 5, say, so that he draws the other team's 5 as their defensive assignment, I see Pitchford being able to handle it.  I think he has the athleticism to guard the perimeter.  And I don't think he would have a disadvantage guarding a big who can shoot the way Andre would have, or Ubel.

That's part of it, but only part.  By getting the center out beyond the three point arc, it gives Doug the ability to go one on one down low, where he can be unstoppable.  It also opens up driving lanes for slashers and back door cutters.  Finally, it tends to wear down opposing bigs who don't usually have to cover as much ground.  That fatigue may not show up until later in the game, but it does have an impact.

Right now it sounds like we will play four different guys at the 5.  That means lots of rest and lots of fouls to give.  With the tempo that we like to play, that is nice to see as big guys are usually the first guys to get winded.  (FWIW, I also expect that Wragge will be the back up to Doug at the 4).

By comparison, we had nobody on last year's team with at least 50 attempts who shot better than 35% from three.  No one.

Norm, after the game last year, this is what I talked about with my Husker friends and what I was talking about when I initially commented in the question you asked earlier in the thread.  I told my buddies that Nebraska should look to get more pure shooters to stretch opponent's defenses.  At least last year (I have no idea if it is true this year or not), it is just too easy for opposing defenses to sag off, clog the paint and beg you to shoot.  If I were coaching against you, I'd probably play a lot of zone and pulg all of the driving lanes until your guys knocked down some treys.

Norm, I am not sure exactly what you are asking, but I'll gladly answer if you want to clarify.  If you are asking how do our teams natch-up, I would honestly say that I don't know enough about your new guys to give an analysis.  I do know that you lose your best and most consistent players (Talley and Ubel), but I don't have any idea how the new guys will shape up.

As to Doug, I remain confident that he can't be guarded one on one.  Period.  Arizona State couldn't do it.  Wichita St., a final four team and great defensive team, couldn't do it.  Cincinnati couldn't do it.  Wisconsin couldn't do it.   Doug even hung 20+ on Duke. If teams go with that strategy, they will most certainly change the philosophy or risk getting blown out. 

I think you are over evaluating the Wragge-Doug combo.  They will certainly play together at times, but not all the time. 

I feel good about our other shooters.  Manigat was incredible 2 years ago and was good last year until Josh Jones went down and he had to play so many minutes.  Same deal with Chatman - he was good early in the year and then our lack of depth at the PG caused his percentage to fall.  As Nebraska fans certainly know, playing a ton of minutes can really take away your shooters' legs. We should be a lot deeper at those two positions this year and add a lot of athleticism.  One new guy to watch is Devin Brooks and he gives us what we really need - a lightening quick guy that can break people down off the dribble and get to the rack.  Isaiah Zierden was touted as a Booker Woodfox type of shooter when recruited and there is nothing that makes me believe he isn't still that pure (I saw him draining outside shots galore last night).  Truth be told, I worry little about our offense and expect it to be among the best in the nation again.  Returning four starters is unheard of in today's world and add that they were on one of the best offensive teams in the nation last year and I think we'll be fine.  We'll play fast and score a lot.

Defense is the concern.  Can we stop opponents?  Can we rebound as well?  Two years ago the defense was pretty bad and we relied on super high tempo and simply outshooting and outscoring opponents instead of shutting them down.  Last year the defense was much better, but we lose our best defensive player.  I don't think we'll know how good we are or aren't on that side of the ball until about 1/3 of the way through the season.  Can Artino stay out of foul trouble?  Will Groselle, the 7 ftr, be healthy?  How good will Hanson be as a freshman and how ready is he?  Stay tuned I guess.

No you cannot stop people.  You will be soft as usual.  

Norm, I am not sure exactly what you are asking, but I'll gladly answer if you want to clarify.  If you are asking how do our teams natch-up, I would honestly say that I don't know enough about your new guys to give an analysis.  I do know that you lose your best and most consistent players (Talley and Ubel), but I don't have any idea how the new guys will shape up.

As to Doug, I remain confident that he can't be guarded one on one.  Period.  Arizona State couldn't do it.  Wichita St., a final four team and great defensive team, couldn't do it.  Cincinnati couldn't do it.  Wisconsin couldn't do it.   Doug even hung 20+ on Duke. If teams go with that strategy, they will most certainly change the philosophy or risk getting blown out. 

I think you are over evaluating the Wragge-Doug combo.  They will certainly play together at times, but not all the time. 

I feel good about our other shooters.  Manigat was incredible 2 years ago and was good last year until Josh Jones went down and he had to play so many minutes.  Same deal with Chatman - he was good early in the year and then our lack of depth at the PG caused his percentage to fall.  As Nebraska fans certainly know, playing a ton of minutes can really take away your shooters' legs. We should be a lot deeper at those two positions this year and add a lot of athleticism.  One new guy to watch is Devin Brooks and he gives us what we really need - a lightening quick guy that can break people down off the dribble and get to the rack.  Isaiah Zierden was touted as a Booker Woodfox type of shooter when recruited and there is nothing that makes me believe he isn't still that pure (I saw him draining outside shots galore last night).  Truth be told, I worry little about our offense and expect it to be among the best in the nation again.  Returning four starters is unheard of in today's world and add that they were on one of the best offensive teams in the nation last year and I think we'll be fine.  We'll play fast and score a lot.

Defense is the concern.  Can we stop opponents?  Can we rebound as well?  Two years ago the defense was pretty bad and we relied on super high tempo and simply outshooting and outscoring opponents instead of shutting them down.  Last year the defense was much better, but we lose our best defensive player.  I don't think we'll know how good we are or aren't on that side of the ball until about 1/3 of the way through the season.  Can Artino stay out of foul trouble?  Will Groselle, the 7 ftr, be healthy?  How good will Hanson be as a freshman and how ready is he?  Stay tuned I guess.

No you cannot stop people.  You will be soft as usual.  

Solid analysis.  :rolleyes:

I'd say that holding a BCS school, on its own floor, to a mere 42 points (their third lowest total for the entire year and second worse at home) is stopping them.  In fact, "stopping them" may not even be strong enough language in that particular example.

Creighton Fan, Royal might come off a bit abrasive but the guy makes a living betting on sports.  He knows from whence he speaks.  I don't always agree with him but I've concluded he's right a lot more often than he's wrong.  And he's giving you a gambler's point of view, which is to say that it's not influenced by emotion or loyalty but rather by what's the safe bet.

As to "stopping" Nebraska last year, really there wasn't much to stop.  You can't compare the lineup we played against you last year with how we did against teams later on because Shavon Shields was just coming back from and still slowed by his elbow injury/infection and played a limited role.  And Benny Parker was still starting at point.  In that game, Shields did not start and played only 20 minutes; Parker did start and played 25.

In conference games last year, Dylan Talley switched over to point, Shields' per game average went up to 31 minutes/game and Parker went down to 17.

You can say you shut us down that game.  But you can't make a reasonable comparison between that game and what we did the rest of the season because the dynamics of the team changed dramatically after that game.

Creighton Fan, Royal might come off a bit abrasive but the guy makes a living betting on sports.  He knows from whence he speaks.  I don't always agree with him but I've concluded he's right a lot more often than he's wrong.  And he's giving you a gambler's point of view, which is to say that it's not influenced by emotion or loyalty but rather by what's the safe bet.

Norm, he's obviously just a Creighton hater just looking to take pot shots.  There was zero analysis, statistics or any support whatsoever to his conclusion; he's just shooting from the hip and obviously trying to stir up problems. The next positive or complimentary thing he says about Creighton will be the first since I started watching your board.  Now, that is certainly his right, but it is impossible to take any "analysis" he spouts seriously when he is so biased toward the subject matter.

I have an uncle that is a professional gambler and had to move to Las Vegas when the federal government cracked down on the offshore sports betting establishments.  I have hung out with him and his friends while they are "working" and they have very detailed analyses, statistics, models and other things that they utilize.  I have no idea if the above poster truly is a professional gambler, but most hardcore, successful gamblers are able to cite statistics, metrics or trends to support their conclusions; their analysis doesn't consist of calling a school "soft" or saying that a program sucks.  The lack of analysis by someone who supposedly makes a living off of gambling makes me question the veracity of his alleged employment. He strikes me more as a guy who plays in a couple of fantasy football leagues and considers that "high stakes, professional gambling."   (I'd also add that the couple of actual professional gamblers that I've met don't exactly go around telling people that they are professional gamblers.  That a message board poster would do so screams insecurity and strikes me as an attempt to try to make himself sound more important or more informed than everyone else...)

Creighton's defense was ranked 77th last year out of 340+ teams.  That isn't spectacular, but it is hardly horrible.  Further, it shows that the poster we are talking about knows little about what he speaks, which would certainly make him an exception among real life professional gamblers.

Norm, I have enjoyed discussing college basketball and the make up of our teams. The discussion has been fact based and incredibly civil.  Sadly, it comes to an end when you have posters like that guy.

Crieghton Fan, 

With all due respect, you raised the point "Defense will be a concern" and asked a question "Can we stop opponents?"

Royalfan, whether it came off as abrasive or as a "pot shot" did offer an opinion on this point.  I don't think that because he didn't feel the need to take the time to write as much as Norm on the topic at hand that his opinion is any less considered than anyone else's.

While it's true he probably is at about 10 on the hate scale for Crieghton, don't let that fool you.  Norm is right.  Royalfan does know what he's talking about.

Some insiders crave attention.  Others throw stuff out there, take it or leave it.  While Royal can be abrasive, he's also made it clear he doesn't care whether or not anyone believes him.  That tends to make me think they're legit.  But, anyway, I have no way of knowing.  I just know that he can distill what he thinks in a very brief (sometimes curt) way.  Believe it or not, he does that to me too. 

But, anyway, not trying to defend anyone.  Royal is perfectly capable of defending himself. 

Bottom line about the CU/NU match-up from a guy who never gambles at all:  I think we're a lot better match up for you than we were last year.  But your shooters still scare the sh!t out of me.  I don't know if we can stop you but I do think we can slow you down.  On other end, I think we'll have more firepower than we did last year but that, sadly, isn't saying much.

I believe we'll have to play our "A" game to get the win, which means someone like Shields or Gallegos is going to have to have a career night.  And maybe Doug has to be just a bit off.  You probably beat us in this one 9 times out of 10.  But we owe you for '05, a game we should have been able to win 9 times out of 10.

As to "stopping" Nebraska last year, really there wasn't much to stop.  You can't compare the lineup we played against you last year with how we did against teams later on because Shavon Shields was just coming back from and still slowed by his elbow injury/infection and played a limited role.  And Benny Parker was still starting at point.  In that game, Shields did not start and played only 20 minutes; Parker did start and played 25.

In conference games last year, Dylan Talley switched over to point, Shields' per game average went up to 31 minutes/game and Parker went down to 17.

You can say you shut us down that game.  But you can't make a reasonable comparison between that game and what we did the rest of the season because the dynamics of the team changed dramatically after that game.

Let's not forget that CU had one of their leaders/ best players almost die on the court before the game.

Norm, he's obviously just a Creighton hater just looking to take pot shots.  There was zero analysis, statistics or any support whatsoever to his conclusion; he's just shooting from the hip and obviously trying to stir up problems. The next positive or complimentary thing he says about Creighton will be the first since I started watching your board.  Now, that is certainly his right, but it is impossible to take any "analysis" he spouts seriously when he is so biased toward the subject matter.

I have an uncle that is a professional gambler and had to move to Las Vegas when the federal government cracked down on the offshore sports betting establishments.  I have hung out with him and his friends while they are "working" and they have very detailed analyses, statistics, models and other things that they utilize.  I have no idea if the above poster truly is a professional gambler, but most hardcore, successful gamblers are able to cite statistics, metrics or trends to support their conclusions; their analysis doesn't consist of calling a school "soft" or saying that a program sucks.  The lack of analysis by someone who supposedly makes a living off of gambling makes me question the veracity of his alleged employment. He strikes me more as a guy who plays in a couple of fantasy football leagues and considers that "high stakes, professional gambling."   (I'd also add that the couple of actual professional gamblers that I've met don't exactly go around telling people that they are professional gamblers.  That a message board poster would do so screams insecurity and strikes me as an attempt to try to make himself sound more important or more informed than everyone else...)

Creighton's defense was ranked 77th last year out of 340+ teams.  That isn't spectacular, but it is hardly horrible.  Further, it shows that the poster we are talking about knows little about what he speaks, which would certainly make him an exception among real life professional gamblers.

Norm, I have enjoyed discussing college basketball and the make up of our teams. The discussion has been fact based and incredibly civil.  Sadly, it comes to an end when you have posters like that guy.

1.  WTF does me thinking a team is soft have to do with my gambling methods?  This is idiotic. 

2.  I don't need models and complex number based systems.  I win with my eyes and by simply knowing how to win.

3.  You don't have a clue what I do, and your idiotic speculation makes you look stupid.

4.  I do play High Stakes Fantasy Football.  The highest stakes.  The most leagues.  Very large amounts of money.  Rated number 1 high stakes fantasy football player around.   Still that is not my day job.  Gambling is. 

5.  If my job is a professional gambler why in the hell would I not claim that as my job?  My tax forms claim it, that is what I am.  How the hell does that make me insecure? That is incredibly asinine.  I could give two shits about who thinks I am more or less informed.  I post what I think.  They can do what they want with it. 

6.  You seem to think I am lying.  Well there is one way to find out.  It is called the Royalfan challenge.  I only do it for 20k or more.  I have to get to 200 units in a calendar year with a max win on a single play of 5 units.  I do it I win 20k.  I lose you get 20k.  I will crossbook your uncle and his sophisticated models(lol) if you like.

I live in Omaha.  The offshore heyday is long gone but still decent.  Used to be a goldmine.  That is why I got into high stakes fantasy sports to have another income stream.  Vegas doesn't offer the things I specialize in anyway, so it wouldn't help me to live there.   I have started to  migrate into large daily fantasy sports action as well.  Got creamed early on in baseball but think I figured it out and ended up profitable.  Ultimately I am hoping I find that I can just focus on that as the offshore places can be the Wild Wild West to an extent.  Been stiffed a lot. 

I live in Omaha.  The offshore heyday is long gone but still decent.  Used to be a goldmine.  That is why I got into high stakes fantasy sports to have another income stream.  Vegas doesn't offer the things I specialize in anyway, so it wouldn't help me to live there.   I have started to  migrate into large daily fantasy sports action as well.  Got creamed early on in baseball but think I figured it out and ended up profitable.  Ultimately I am hoping I find that I can just focus on that as the offshore places can be the Wild Wild West to an extent.  Been stiffed a lot. 

Thanks Royal, I've always wondered about that.  You got a big pair of balls on you to have that be your profession, not because I doubt your ability, I just like the certainty of a 9-5.  

Now that the offshores have largely been blocked by the US government, combined with the fact that credit card companies by and large will not handle transactions to or from them, I guess I'd like to know what kind of sports based gambling one can still do in Omaha legally.  (I assume your gambling is legal since you indicated you report it on your taxes; I understand that there are illegal bookies at about every bar one could frequent, but assume you aren't doing that sort of betting ;)).  How do you even book your bets from Omaha at this point?

I'd also be curious as to what type of gambling you specialize in that Vegas doesn't handle.

Do you not have any sort of income other than gambling income?

Royal if you don't mind me asking....what do you specialize in?  I like to gamble for the fun of it but am by no means an expert.  I just hit a $100 bet on Jimmy Walker to win the Fry Open at 20-1 Odds.  Probably something I'll never ever be able to do again in my lifetime on a golf bet. 

I don't do it for a primary living, but I gamble a lot guys.  An awful lot.  You would be shocked about the amount of money you can sling around in Omaha.  There are some pretty large outfits here.  None of it out in the open of course.  Of course, I make trips to Vegas quite often, too.  Probably 4 or 5 times a year.   

I personally don't go offshore anymore.  Right out of college, I did the whole offshore thing every day, pretty much for a job while I sorted out my career.  It was great while it lasted, but as the government cracked down, you just got jerked around too much. 

I'm a very analytical when it comes to gambling.  Stats, sabermetrics, algorithms etc.  All about the process and odds.  There is definitely a human element into it though, especially when predicting teams tanking and such.  Like the Texans....I knew early on in the NFL season that they would tank their season.  Not everyone is analytical though.  I know an NFL guy who goes completely by gut and is an incredible gambler.  Most guys I know are more like me though.   

Also, one thing that I have learned is gambling takes all bias out.  I hated Tom Brady in high school...I would make friendly bets against him just because I rooted against him internally.  It's kind of disappointing at times.  I usually know when a Bo Pelini Nebraska team is going to take one on the chin.  It's a money thing though, it's business.  So you sit and watch Nebraska get slaughtered by Wisconsin with an empty feeling inside even though you cashed a big paycheck.  It kind of sucks in a weird sort of way.   

Anyway, I don't claim to be a big shot, I still got legit things I do for income.  I'm not good enough to live the lifestyle I want to live.  Plus, when you have a young child, gambling for a living might not be a lifestyle you want to live.  I just wanted to chime in on the subject.

For the record, Creighton is soft and has been soft for quite some time.  I'm not really trying to talk crap about Creighton here, I respect what you guys are doing and all that, but softness is like a disease.  It's hard to get rid of and it has infected your program for quite some time now.  Many programs have the same thing though.  I also think Nebraska matches up really well with Creighton this year.  Experience and home court are a pretty insurmountable advantage though.  I would be willing to be that the NU-CU game is a lot closer than most people think. 

Thanks for listening....or reading.     

I also think Nebraska matches up really well with Creighton this year.  Experience and home court are a pretty insurmountable advantage though.  I would be willing to be that the NU-CU game is a lot closer than most people think. 

Agreed.  That's what I've been saying.  Not saying we beat CU this year but I think we make more of a game out of it.  Much better match-up against them this year.

We will be streaky early on.  We have the talent to compete with a lot of teams on a lot of courts.  But it is going to be streaky, especially early on.  Going to take Miles some time to figure out what rotation gives him the best chance.  More options and more guys that bring different skill sets than a year ago.  Way more.  So it is going to be a challenge for him to get it figured out.  What gives us the best chance to win.  Hopefully he finds the solution sooner than later. 

Royal if you don't mind me asking....what do you specialize in?  I like to gamble for the fun of it but am by no means an expert.  I just hit a $100 bet on Jimmy Walker to win the Fry Open at 20-1 Odds.  Probably something I'll never ever be able to do again in my lifetime on a golf bet. 

Prop bets.  Back in the day books did so much business that they didn't really care much about getting their ass whipped by a guy like me.  Now limits cut severely at most places and outright stiffed by quite a few joints.  Pretty much banned by all the computerized local books.  Miss the old days of being able to bet several thousand on a little league game and winning 10k on Dumb and Dumberer going under at the box office with no risk at all.  Damn government had to ruin it.  Since books do way less business now, they cannot afford to let guys beat them up for large amounts on obscure wagers.  I hate the government telling me what I can and cannot do.  Yet it is okay to allow Keno so people can ruin lives getting hammered every night because they get a cut.  And people like me that pay taxes on the up and up actually cost them money anyway.  Albeit not a lot as many probably don't claim any or all of their winnings. 

Now that the offshores have largely been blocked by the US government, combined with the fact that credit card companies by and large will not handle transactions to or from them, I guess I'd like to know what kind of sports based gambling one can still do in Omaha legally.  (I assume your gambling is legal since you indicated you report it on your taxes; I understand that there are illegal bookies at about every bar one could frequent, but assume you aren't doing that sort of betting ;)).  How do you even book your bets from Omaha at this point?

I'd also be curious as to what type of gambling you specialize in that Vegas doesn't handle.

Do you not have any sort of income other than gambling income?

Offshore wagering is not illegal as worded in laws.  It is more of a grey area.  The local action I have done is probably not legal.  Although I do believe the transaction takes place offshore with many of the computerized joints.  In any event, the local is at risk, not the gambler.  And the amount of local gambling in Omaha is unbelievable.  Since far less offshore gambling going on now, locals and agents have become incredibly mainstream. 

No other income other than investment income like many others. 

I also think Nebraska matches up really well with Creighton this year.  Experience and home court are a pretty insurmountable advantage though.  I would be willing to be that the NU-CU game is a lot closer than most people think. 

Agreed.  That's what I've been saying.  Not saying we beat CU this year but I think we make more of a game out of it.  Much better match-up against them this year.

Norm, I really don't think that there is anyone, even CU fans, that would disagree with you. How could NU not make more of a game out of it compared to last year? However, there will be one team with tons of experience versus a team with not a whole lot of experience. It won't be anything new for Creighton to be playing a team with more "athleticism." But, anything is possible.

I would agree, but I'm not sure that is really saying much.  It doesn't take much to improve on a 22 point loss at home.  Heck, keep Peltz off the court and it should improve your team by around 5 points a game.  Between his fouling and horrible shooting (when he actually does take a shot), that guy hurts you guys more than anything else.  I know some of you guys love the whole 'Bro thing, but opponents have no problem giving the guy 5 to 10 feet or more every time he touches the ball, essentially begging him to shoot.  In a nutshell, he made you guys too easy to defend.

Norm, the one thing that may be wrong with your analysis is that you are only looking at it from one side.  While Nebraska will most certainly be improved, Creighton has added a few elements that they didn't have last year in a few more slashers, without losing any of the shooters that made them the best shooting team in the entire country.  On top of that, Creighton gets to play at home this time.