Creighton jibber jabber

nebrasketball10

Some pretty good schadenfreude from over at the feathered fellows' message board (particularly on the recruiting forum):

For example:

Re: 2014 PG Marcus Bartley

icon_post_target.gifby westojay » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:21 pm

Wow. Couldn't even get a visit. Well maybe its time to start looking at PGs in the JUCO ranks.

icon_post_target.gifby Jet915 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:44 am

Mid-major guy? Doesn't seem like it, had a bunch of high major offers. He needs to put on alot of weight and strength but seemed like he had alot of potential. We can't even get a guy whose parents are Creighton alumni to visit us? This is depressing...

=========================

Re: 2014 SG Riley LaChance

icon_post_target.gifby westojay » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Very frustrating part about recruiting. We have been recruiting him for well over a year, maybe 2. And now other programs start come knocking on the door because they are playing musical chairs when they arent' getting their Plan A option, Plan B option, or Plan C option. 

Be a Jay Riley, a place where you have always been wanted!! And not a 3rd or 4th option on the list.

icon_post_target.gifby Jet915 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:55 am

It's funny when reading some Minnesota and Michigan State replies regarding interest in LaChance and they see it as bad news cause it means their top choices are probably off the table while we on the other hand would be ecstatic if Riley was a jay.

icon_post_target.gifby jays911 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:21 pm

I hope these young men, especially those who commit elsewhere without a visit, understand what they are missing out on. A very capable and classy coaching staff, one of the best ADs in the country, world class facilities, the opportunity to play in an NBA caliber arena, great academics and academic support, the 6th largest attendance in the country, and the most (or certainly, one of the most) passionate fanbase in the country. 
And once you are part of the Creighton family, you are family for life. I was at a large local Catholic event tonight, and topic number one was Creighton athletics, especially basketball, in the new Big East. Leon, Riley, Stuckey, others, I hope you join us.
So long Valley, hello big time.

Hello big time, indeed...Even Leon Gilmore III, whom we've apparently moved on from, and who the BJ's felt pretty confident about after his visit there appears to be slow-playing them waiting on some high-major offers.

LOL.

Some pretty good schadenfreude from over at the feathered fellows' message board (particularly on the recruiting forum):

For example:

Wow. Couldn't even get a visit. Well maybe its time to start looking at PGs in the JUCO ranks.

Mid-major guy? Doesn't seem like it, had a bunch of high major offers. He needs to put on alot of weight and strength but seemed like he had alot of potential. We can't even get a guy whose parents are Creighton alumni to visit us? This is depressing...

Very frustrating part about recruiting. We have been recruiting him for well over a year, maybe 2. And now other programs start come knocking on the door because they are playing musical chairs when they arent' getting their Plan A option, Plan B option, or Plan C option. 

Be a Jay Riley, a place where you have always been wanted!! And not a 3rd or 4th option on the list.

It's funny when reading some Minnesota and Michigan State replies regarding interest in LaChance and they see it as bad news cause it means their top choices are probably off the table while we on the other hand would be ecstatic if Riley was a jay.

Re: 2014 Recruits

I hope these young men, especially those who commit elsewhere without a visit, understand what they are missing out on. A very capable and classy coaching staff, one of the best ADs in the country, world class facilities, the opportunity to play in an NBA caliber arena, great academics and academic support, the 6th largest attendance in the country, and the most (or certainly, one of the most) passionate fanbase in the country. 

And once you are part of the Creighton family, you are family for life. I was at a large local Catholic event tonight, and topic number one was Creighton athletics, especially basketball, in the new Big East. Leon, Riley, Stuckey, others, I hope you join us.

Hello big time, indeed...Even Leon Gilmore III, whom we've apparently moved on from, and who the BJ's felt pretty confident about after his visit there appears to be slow-playing them waiting on some high-major offers.

LOL.

WTF......why do you do this?

For example:

Re: 2014 Recruits

LOL.

Why not is the better question. 

---snip snip---

LOL.

Why does the sun come out after the rain?

Why is the sky blue?

Why do birds.  Suddenly appear.  Every time.  You are near?

Why did you choose to register at HHC to make this be your first, and so far, only, post?

These are the questions, of which the answers we will never know.  They are the mysteries of man from times immemorial that will live to infinity!

That's rich!

Look out!  I'm doing it again!!!

But another thing on Nebrasketball, reading that Pitchford article made me laugh. The kid sat not only Florida's bench, but every other bench of the school that he went to including whatever DII and DII, NAIA, whatever (who cares) school, but as stated earlier on here, he is supposedly the savior of the program. I also laughed that he thinks he is going to change his attitude of scoring 20 and 10 rebounds and losing, to scoring 4 and winning. For a guy that has sat the bench that much and wants to prove himself, and yet 'save' the program, his attitude isn't going to change. He sounds like a Chris Balham type. So, yeah, I guess he will blow our minds.

And Mike Peltz, I hope they increase his offensive workload. He should be shooting 30 times a game to score his 3 points a game. That guy is so invaluable to his team that even when he hurt his knee, I didn't hear one Husker fan ask me, "Where is Mike Peltz?" And to be honest, I am 99% sure that it is because no fan knew more than 2 players on that team.

Sometimes I feel like we're a little full of ourselves here.

I see it could be worse.   :)

Yep.

Well, and apparently they aren't too worried about facts.  According to them, Pitchford played at a couple schools in Division 2 and NAIA in addition to his Freshmen year at UF and redshirt year at NU.  So by the time he plays his three at NU he'll be what?  40 years old?  :D

Good Lord only knows why but I just went and took a tour of the Bluejay Rivals site.  Reminded myself why I really kinda hate most Bluejay message board posters.  They seem to take "ass clown" to a whole new level.  There's no playing nice with a lot of them.  Bitter, bitter haters.  The few who post over here are actually decent compared to the crapfest that you find at the Bluejay café.  If I was Abraham and the Café was Sodom and Gomorrah, I'd tell God to just go ahead and nuke the whole thing.  Nope, you're not going to find even 5 posters there who are worth a shit.  Might as well wipe 'em all out.  Starting with Vivid Dude, please.

And, 49r, since you provided the link, I just haaaad to go look.  And I found this little gem of a photo posted on their site:

TrollingPelini_zpsf4272f6c.jpg

While I'm being candid about my feelings, let me just add that Eagle Hills is the worst piece of crap golf course I've ever seen.  To call it a dump would be charitable.  I have, quite honestly, never played a worse golf course than that one.  Ever.  So, Jays fans, you can have Eagle Hills.  It's certainly worthy of you.

And, 49r, since you provided the link, I just haaaad to go look.  And I found this little gem of a photo posted on their site:

While I'm being candid about my feelings, let me just add that Eagle Hills is the worst piece of crap golf course I've ever seen.  To call it a dump would be charitable.  I have, quite honestly, never played a worse golf course than that one.  Ever.  So, Jays fans, you can have Eagle Hills.  It's certainly worthy of you.

No doubt, Norm; not a good course.  Although I torched the piece of crap; it's not hard.  My sign would say that there is a 50% surcharge for anyone wearing Jay gear.

It's the Norm Peterson evening of hate, ladies and gentlemen!  :D

Sorry, 49r.  I just got a bad taste in my mouth from going over to their board and reminding myself of the crap posters they have had, especially at the piece of garbage board that Matty Perrault runs.  That guy is such a POS.  Apparently, from reading his posts, he conned some woman into getting married to him here recently.  If you set the over/under on the divorce at 2 years, I'd probably take the unders. 

Sorry, 49r.  I just got a bad taste in my mouth from going over to their board and reminding myself of the crap posters they have had, especially at the piece of garbage board that Matty Perrault runs.  That guy is such a POS.  Apparently, from reading his posts, he conned some woman into getting married to him here recently.  If you set the over/under on the divorce at 2 years, I'd probably take the unders. 

It's perfectly normal and rational to hate Creighton, Norm.  I encourage it.

But don't forget to save some for Iowa!  :)

WE'RE LOSING HIM.  I NEED 5CCs OF RED KOOL-AID AND THE SUNSHINE PUMP, STAT!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Norm, if you visit Perrault's site, he gets more views, he gets more views, he continues to have the site, he continues to have the site, everyone is reminded he is still a thing.

Don't visit his site, don't let Perrault be a thing.

Hey, Mose.  Always good to see you. 

Tell me about your team this year.  Outside of Doug, because we know him pretty well, what are the strengths and weaknesses?  If teams load up to try to stop Doug, who's going to hurt them?  I know Wragge can shoot from outside pretty well.  But he's never had quite the impact I thought he would when he was a freshman.  Who is going to get those kick-outs for treys from the corner?  And how comfortable with your inside guys do you REALLY feel?

I'm legitimately curious.

Posted Today, 12:43 PM

bball23, on 10 Oct 2013 - 08:19 AM, said:snapback.png

Not to bring CU onto the board....but they have an article in the OWH stating pretty much kind of my thought process posted above.  By going smaller, it can make for a tough match up for teams when they are on offense.

http://www.omaha.com...-smaller-lineup

The only reason this works in spurts is because Wragge is a dead eye 3 pt shooter when healthy and his teammate is one of the most efficient players in all of college basketball.  As coach K said before the third round NCAA tourney game last year, "When Wragge is on the floor he demands defensive attention because he can torch you from 3 if you leave him open."  His ability to shoot requires opposing big men to chase him beyond the arc, which leaves Doug one on one where he can be deadly.

Wragge's also a bulked up, extremely strong, redshirt senior.  He could not do what he does now in the paint on defense during his freshman or sophomore seasons.

This didn't quite work like I hoped but the above post was copied from the Husker hoops page of this board and I brought it over here so that we wouldn't thread-jack that thread over there.  Anyway ...

I think this is a good point about Wragge.  Always knew the kid was a good shooter.  I remember kind of defending him over on the Café board when he was a freshman because I was surprised he wasn't getting more minutes.  So, it sounds like he's maybe grown into the kind of player I actually expected that kid who transferred from Louisville to be.

I'm wondering, though, if what you describe is going to be less of an advantage against a team like what Nebraska is fielding this year.  We don't have an Elbert Robinson type of center.  We have a guy in Pitchford who is really probably a 4 who is going to be playing center by default.  I've seen him.  You might have seen some video on him.  He's a terrific athlete with better than a 40 inch vertical and he has very good speed and quickness.  I can't tell you that he's a great on-ball defender who can guard the perimeter but if his athleticism is any indication, I would think he probably can.  (He's also a decent 3-pt threat himself.) 

Wragge still gives you the ability to force straight man match-ups with McDermott.  In other words, it's hard to double off of Wragge in order to help against McDermott.  But, it's not like Wragge can't be guarded.  He might drag a big, fat guy outside and hurt you.  But I don't see that happening with Pitchford.

Norm, I am not sure exactly what you are asking, but I'll gladly answer if you want to clarify.  If you are asking how do our teams natch-up, I would honestly say that I don't know enough about your new guys to give an analysis.  I do know that you lose your best and most consistent players (Talley and Ubel), but I don't have any idea how the new guys will shape up.

As to Doug, I remain confident that he can't be guarded one on one.  Period.  Arizona State couldn't do it.  Wichita St., a final four team and great defensive team, couldn't do it.  Cincinnati couldn't do it.  Wisconsin couldn't do it.   Doug even hung 20+ on Duke. If teams go with that strategy, they will most certainly change the philosophy or risk getting blown out. 

I think you are over evaluating the Wragge-Doug combo.  They will certainly play together at times, but not all the time. 

I feel good about our other shooters.  Manigat was incredible 2 years ago and was good last year until Josh Jones went down and he had to play so many minutes.  Same deal with Chatman - he was good early in the year and then our lack of depth at the PG caused his percentage to fall.  As Nebraska fans certainly know, playing a ton of minutes can really take away your shooters' legs. We should be a lot deeper at those two positions this year and add a lot of athleticism.  One new guy to watch is Devin Brooks and he gives us what we really need - a lightening quick guy that can break people down off the dribble and get to the rack.  Isaiah Zierden was touted as a Booker Woodfox type of shooter when recruited and there is nothing that makes me believe he isn't still that pure (I saw him draining outside shots galore last night).  Truth be told, I worry little about our offense and expect it to be among the best in the nation again.  Returning four starters is unheard of in today's world and add that they were on one of the best offensive teams in the nation last year and I think we'll be fine.  We'll play fast and score a lot.

Defense is the concern.  Can we stop opponents?  Can we rebound as well?  Two years ago the defense was pretty bad and we relied on super high tempo and simply outshooting and outscoring opponents instead of shutting them down.  Last year the defense was much better, but we lose our best defensive player.  I don't think we'll know how good we are or aren't on that side of the ball until about 1/3 of the way through the season.  Can Artino stay out of foul trouble?  Will Groselle, the 7 ftr, be healthy?  How good will Hanson be as a freshman and how ready is he?  Stay tuned I guess.

You have a lot of guys with size that don't have a lot of experience.  I have heard mixed reviews about your bigs.  What's your honest impression of them?  Are they still looking like projects or do you expect to get good minutes out of them?  Artino and Groselle combined last year for only about 10 minutes, but I haven't seen them so I have no idea what they'll be like. And then the freshman, obviously, is a kid we wanted and has good size, but bigs take longer to develop and I wonder if he's truly battle-ready.

The comment you made about Wragge -- to clarify my question or comment -- seemed to indicate that because Wragge is such a good shooter, he would be used to pull the opposing bigs out to the perimeter where he would be at an advantage.  In other words, that would seem to suggest that the opposing bigs would be out of their comfort zone and would be defending a situation they wouldn't necessarily be equipped to handle.  And then, on top of that, would be unable to help on McDermott.

I guess my thought is if you're playing Wragge as a 5, say, so that he draws the other team's 5 as their defensive assignment, I see Pitchford being able to handle it.  I think he has the athleticism to guard the perimeter.  And I don't think he would have a disadvantage guarding a big who can shoot the way Andre would have, or Ubel.

I will say your shooting scares me.  It's not just Wragge, either.  Obivously, McDermott can score from anywhere and if you can't guard him straight up and you help off of other players, the success of that strategy will depend on how good those other players are at punishing you for leaving them more open.  And, geez, you got I think 5 or 6 guys returning with at least 50 3-pt attempts last year who averaged at least 35% from beyond the arc.  And only one of those guys is McDermott.  By comparison, we had nobody on last year's team with at least 50 attempts who shot better than 35% from three.  No one.  And I think that could be a problem for us on the offensive end.  But, having said that, I still think we match up better with you defensively this year than we did last year.