Creighton jibber jabber

nebrasketball10

One game is a small sample size.  Nebraska played about as bad as they were capable of.  Creighton played a hell of a game and brought good defensive intensity.   Things sort of snowballed.  A good Creighton team got rolling and kicked our ass.  Doesn't necessarily mean that is the gauge of how both teams were.  Nebraska improved a hell of a lot throughout the season.  Creighton may have gotten worse.  Certainly at the defensive end they did. 

One game is a small sample size.  Nebraska played about as bad as they were capable of.  Creighton played a hell of a game and brought good defensive intensity.   Things sort of snowballed.  A good Creighton team got rolling and kicked our ass.  Doesn't necessarily mean that is the gauge of how both teams were.  Nebraska improved a hell of a lot throughout the season.  Creighton may have gotten worse.  Certainly at the defensive end they did. 

This seems like a nice try at spin.

Creighton certainly didn't get worse.  In fact, the Nebraska game was one of its worst scoring nights of the year and the team couldn't shoot in the first half (I think the figure was around 35%, which for a team that led the entire nation in shooting percentage, was remarkably horrid).  Further, one could legitimately argue about the extent of Nebraska's improvement afterward as well because there were several games where Nebraska played worse or just as poorly, sometimes against lesser opponents or opponents that Creighton had already beaten.  Nebraska ended the year ranked 335 out of something like 345 schools when it comes to scoring offense, so I'd say that statistically, Nebraska's performance that game was right in line with their performance for the entire season against ranked teams. 

I know Norm likes to emphasize Echenique when talking about last year's game, but the real problem was that Nebraska couldn't shoot, even missing several wide open jumpers at times (after Peltz's first airball, Creighton didn't even try to defend him and he still went 0-fer on the few times he even tried to shoot).   When you shoot 33% for the game (25% from three including a stunning 18% in the first half) and you do not have many guys capable of driving the basketball to draw fouls, you will get blown out more times than not.  Truth be told, that was Nebraska's problem all of last year, not just in the Creighton game, and the season statistics bear that out.

I certainly expect Nebraska to be better this year.  From a scoring perspective, it is almost literally impossible to be worse (only about 10 teams were).

Creighton certainly didn't get worse.  In fact, the Nebraska game was one of its worst scoring nights of the year and the team couldn't shoot in the first half (I think the figure was around 35%, which for a team that led the entire nation in shooting percentage, was remarkably horrid).  Further, one could legitimately argue about the extent of Nebraska's improvement afterward as well because there were several games where Nebraska played worse or just as poorly, sometimes against lesser opponents or opponents that Creighton had already beaten.  Nebraska ended the year ranked 335 out of something like 345 schools when it comes to scoring offense, so I'd say that statistically, Nebraska's performance that game was right in line with their performance for the entire season against ranked teams. 

I know Norm likes to emphasize Echenique when talking about last year's game, but the real problem was that Nebraska couldn't shoot, even missing several wide open jumpers at times (after Peltz's first airball, Creighton didn't even try to defend him and he still went 0-fer on the few times he even tried to shoot).   When you shoot 33% for the game (25% from three including a stunning 18% in the first half) and you do not have many guys capable of driving the basketball to draw fouls, you will get blown out more times than not.  Truth be told, that was Nebraska's problem all of last year, not just in the Creighton game, and the season statistics bear that out.

I certainly expect Nebraska to be better this year.  From a scoring perspective, it is almost literally impossible to be worse (only about 10 teams were).

Really?

Creighton.png

Looks to me like, until the Wichita game at the end of the season, Creighton was on a pretty steady downward trend during conference play.  (Read: @Drake, @Indiana State, Illinois State and @Northern Iowa)

The spin isn't coming from royalfan.

...and just for fairness and comparison sake, here's Nebraska's RPI forecast chart from last year too:

Nebraska.png

You obviously lost any and all credibility by not thinking Nebraska improved during the season.  You have said a lot of idiotic things, but this just shows you really don't have a clue.  You really do not belong on a Nebraska basketball board with this level of stupidity on the subject.  I didn't spin anything. 

Really?

Creighton.png

Looks to me like, until the Wichita game at the end of the season, Creighton was on a pretty steady downward trend during conference play.  (Read: @Drake, @Indiana State, Illinois State and @Northern Iowa)

The spin isn't coming from royalfan.

...and just for fairness and comparison sake, here's Nebraska's RPI forecast chart from last year too:

Nebraska.png

RPI is not a true measure of quality (which is why the new football playoff committee won't use it).   While in the MVC, Creighton's RPI would always take a hit due to the poor RPI of its conference mates.  Similarly, even by losing (and occasionally getting blown out), Nebraska's RPI improved due to the strength of the conference (B1G was the best conference in the country last year).  My hope (and note that I used "hope") is that out new conference doesn't cause us the same problems.

If you want to use RPI as a true description of quality, then your graph above shows that Nebraska got worse from end of December til the end of the season.  Frankly, I don't believe that is the case. 

You obviously lost any and all credibility by not thinking Nebraska improved during the season.  You have said a lot of idiotic things, but this just shows you really don't have a clue.  You really do not belong on a Nebraska basketball board with this level of stupidity on the subject.  I didn't spin anything. 

Reread my post - I never said that.

What I said was that Nebraska's performance against Creighton was in line with its statistical performance for the year.  Nebraska may have gotten better offensively, but the improvement did not show up in metrics, nor did it show up in the W-L record.

Let common sense be your guide from time to time. It works

I'd suggest you actually read a post before flying off the handle.  If there are words in that post that you can't understand, try utilizing dictionary.com rather than just skipping right over them.  You'll probably find that you'll end up in less disagreements, both on message boards and in life, if you follow this relatively elementary advice. 

I'm sure your abrasive personality has nothing to do with the fact that you do not have a typical job where you may occasionally have to work with others.  :rolleyes:

I'd suggest you actually read a post before flying off the handle.  If there are words in that post that you can't understand, try utilizing dictionary.com rather than just skipping right over them.  You'll probably find that you'll end up in less disagreements, both on message boards and in life, if you follow this relatively elementary advice. 

I'm sure your abrasive personality has nothing to do with the fact that you do not have a typical job where you may occasionally have to work with others.  :rolleyes:

Let me ask you this.  

Do you still have the same smug sense of superiority considering that your smart mouth just got you banned from this site?  Just in case you need some help understanding, I've linked it for you.

royalfan, I'm just curious; you, being a professional gambler, how many points  do you think Nebraska will be favored by when they play Creighton this year?

Why would I think that Nebraska would be favored in the game?  That is absurd.  Creighton would be a significant favorite if the game were played today. 

Fly off the handle?  That is hilarious.  I just told you to use common sense sometimes, it works.  I didn't even suggest you didn't have any, just that you should use it.  Seems you flew off the handle and got chased yet again for the third or fourth time.   Probably for the best.  You really don't belong here. 

royalfan, I'm just curious; you, being a professional gambler, how many points  do you think Nebraska will be favored by when they play Creighton this year?

Why would I think that Nebraska would be favored in the game?  That is absurd.  Creighton would be a significant favorite if the game were played today. 

Well, how"soft" is Creighton? And does"soft" always translate to a negative? Is Wisconsin considered soft? If not, I would rather watch a soft Creighton than a "not soft" Wisconsin. How far did Creighton drop or deteriorate as the season went on last year according to your data? I don't know if you can base it all on RPI, though. Didn't Nebraska (and other teams) improve in RPI even when they lost some games and Creighton (and other teams) sometimes drop in RPI even though they won some games. I'm just curious, also, on what effect, if any, playing all the teams in your league twice may have? (Of course, once at home and once away?) I don't expect you to take the time to answer all these; questions just kept popping into my head.

Use Vegas numbers to be your guide, not RPI.  Nebraska certainly got better during the year and Creighton worse according to them.   And yes being soft is obviously a negative trait.  And no Wisconsin is not anywhere in the same stratosphere of sotfness as they typical Creighton team has been.  It has what has held Creighton back from being an elite team instead of a pretty damn good one of late.   Yeah, I know Creighton beat Wisconsin so you can save it.  Wisconsin was finding their way with lot of new guys early on.  And that is when Creighton was playing some of their best ball of the season, before hitting tough times against awful Valley competition. 

So does Vegas predict the Jays to continue their horrendous downhill slide and was there no positives in winning both the Valley regular season and tournament titles (beating a final four team twice in that final stretch)? Just curious, where does Nebraska fall in the toughness/softness continuum? Also, is it an advantage or disadvantage to play in a league with a true round-robin scheduling format because Creighton will face that in the Big East, also. I, personally, really enjoy the fact that you play everybody in your league twice. What do you think?

An alternative to banning the guy might have been locking this thread a few posts earlier.

How many more threads do I need to delete because Creighton Fan has to mix it up on this site?

How many more of his posts do I need to delete of his so that these things don't happen?

If Creighton Fan was half as smart as he thought he was, he'd still be here.

I didn't even want to chime in on this, but I always hate the "we beat Wisconsin" type comments.  Sure in one game.  Even your own coach and the other new coaches in the "New Big East" have said the physical and mental grind of a season in a tougher league is a heck of a lot tougher than getting up for 1-2 big games a year (Wisconsin/Wichita State).  Now what happens if you go on a stretch where you play @Georgetown, @Butler @Marquette and drop 2 of 3 or all 3?  How do the players react?  We all know how the fans will react at Creighton..they will lose their freaking minds!  They panic when they lose a game in the Valley and start to question everything.  Lets see how the team/coaches/fans react if CU hits a tough spot this year and in the years to come.  I can't even imagine if they would have to play Louisville, Syracuse, Notre Dame, UCONN (the REAL Big East teams).  Some are saying the "New Big East" may end up being like an A-10 type "Mid-Major-Major" 

And yet they will have some bumps in the road simply due to the physicality and mental grind of the season. 

I for one can't wait for them to graduate Doug, Ethan, Manigat and Gibbs and see how "great" they really are (according to their fans that is). 

They were absolutely gift wrapped this season to do decent.  Doug comes back as a WALK-ON so they get an extra scholarship. Gibbs is granted an 18th year of eligibility....Stevens leaves for Boston and their best player gets hurt.  I'm very curious to see how this team does after this year.  I think they take a major, major step back.  They aren't getting many more Doug McDermott type players at CU.

I didn't even want to chime in on this, but I always hate the "we beat Wisconsin" type comments.  Sure in one game.  Even your own coach and the other new coaches in the "New Big East" have said the physical and mental grind of a season in a tougher league is a heck of a lot tougher than getting up for 1-2 big games a year (Wisconsin/Wichita State).  Now what happens if you go on a stretch where you play @Georgetown, @Butler @Marquette and drop 2 of 3 or all 3?  How do the players react?  We all know how the fans will react at Creighton..they will lose their freaking minds!  They panic when they lose a game in the Valley and start to question everything.  Lets see how the team/coaches/fans react if CU hits a tough spot this year and in the years to come.  I can't even imagine if they would have to play Louisville, Syracuse, Notre Dame, UCONN (the REAL Big East teams).  Some are saying the "New Big East" may end up being like an A-10 type "Mid-Major-Major" 

And yet they will have some bumps in the road simply due to the physicality and mental grind of the season. 

I for one can't wait for them to graduate Doug, Ethan, Manigat and Gibbs and see how "great" they really are (according to their fans that is). 

They were absolutely gift wrapped this season to do decent.  Doug comes back as a WALK-ON so they get an extra scholarship. Gibbs is granted an 18th year of eligibility....Stevens leaves for Boston and their best player gets hurt.  I'm very curious to see how this team does after this year.  I think they take a major, major step back.  They aren't getting many more Doug McDermott type players at CU.

The only thing here that didn't make my head hurt was the statement that Creighton wouldn't be getting more Doug McDermott type players at CU.  If likely three time All American is the standard then no, Creighton will likely fall short.

I believe royalfan brought up Creighton beating Wisconsin. I said that I would rather watch a "soft" Creighton team play their brand of ball than a "tough" Wisconsin team play. But, thanks for reminding me that Creighton did beat Wisconsin handily last year. Creighton fans are looking forward to this year, as they do every year, and we are also unsure about what the future holds. I doubt if we will ever get another Doug McDermott. But, then again, how many schools have ever had a three time all-american? I'm not sure, have the Huskers? I'm guessing that Big East basketball this year, for a comparison, will be like Big 10 football. However,  I am looking forward to a league where basketball is number one at all the schools and where a true round-robin schedule is played. I think many CU fans expect the Jays to probably go through a bad stretch, as they do most years. But, we are now possibly in a league where three, four or five teams make the dance. So yeah, it was alarming when you lost in the Valley because it cost dearly, not only in terms of possibly winning a one to two-bid league, but later on in tournament seeding also.

Creighton fans are looking forward to this year as you return a lot.  We'll see how much the "spoiled" Jays fans react when they lost pretty much their entire roster.   Do remember that Coach Mac was absolutely horrendous while coaching in the Big 12.  Something like a 18-62 Big 12 record. 

I understand that Doug is a 3 time All-American (well possibly, as this year hasn't been played out yet)...my point is that, lets see how Coach Mac does once his son leaves.  He was extremely fortunate to get his SON to come to CU.  Where would they be without him?  Would he have ever came to CU if his dad wasn't the coach?  Then to get Grant Gibbs gift wrapped for this year makes this transition a bit easier.  I'll be VERY curious to see how much CU drops after this year.  And I think most educated Jays fans know that if they don't make some noise this year, they may not for a long, long time. 

Creighton fans are looking forward to this year as you return a lot.  We'll see how much the "spoiled" Jays fans react when they lost pretty much their entire roster.   Do remember that Coach Mac was absolutely horrendous while coaching in the Big 12.  Something like a 18-62 Big 12 record. 

I understand that Doug is a 3 time All-American (well possibly, as this year hasn't been played out yet)...my point is that, lets see how Coach Mac does once his son leaves.  He was extremely fortunate to get his SON to come to CU.  Where would they be without him?  Would he have ever came to CU if his dad wasn't the coach?  Then to get Grant Gibbs gift wrapped for this year makes this transition a bit easier.  I'll be VERY curious to see how much CU drops after this year.  And I think most educated Jays fans know that if they don't make some noise this year, they may not for a long, long time. 

Yep.  If the same Big12 Mcdermott shows up in the Big East....Jays fans will be non too happy.  He will be fine this year because of his son but after that all bets are off.  Although, I do believe the old Big 12 was a tougher league than the new Big East.  And no, Mcdermott would have never gone to Creighton if his dad didnt get the job..he was lined up to go to UNI.  Even his dad didn't think he was BCS caliber.  As for Gibbs...im sure he will help with depth but he will have a very hard time on the defensive end with the athletic guards in the Big East.