2015 SF Edward Morrow - Signed

trickey

The No. 2 Wolverines expected a fight in the rematch, knowing full well they had the baddest dude in the Public League on their side.

Ed Morrow, Simeon's Nebraska-bound center, scored 20 points and blocked five shots...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool/ct-spt-0123-prep-boys-basketball-bogan-simeon-20150122-story.html

Ed is a starter and star on arguably one of the best teams in the Chicaga area.  By way of the Simeon team along with his AAU team he has played well against some of the best players and teams in the country.  He has played on big stages and on ESPN.  He can score, he can defend, he rebounds like an animal and he protects the rim.  He can run, he has a tremendous work ethic he comes from athletic parents who also played on the big stage.

I have no clue why anyone thinks he may be able to contribute next year... :ph34r:

It's getting hard not to expect big things out of Morrow as a frosh. I know it is probably not fair but he seems like the kind of inside player we haven't had in a long time. It will be fun to have a dominant player in the paint.

Just know that he's a power forward and not a center. He's not going to be a big man like Derrick Chandler or Aleks Maric. He's maybe a touch bigger than David Rivers, with a nonstop motor and a nose for the ball.

It's getting hard not to expect big things out of Morrow as a frosh. I know it is probably not fair but he seems like the kind of inside player we haven't had in a long time. It will be fun to have a dominant player in the paint.

Just know that he's a power forward and not a center. He's not going to be a big man like Derrick Chandler or Aleks Maric. He's maybe a touch bigger than David Rivers, with a nonstop motor and a nose for the ball.
He'll be like a Brandon Dawson if you want a good comparison. Just think he will have a little better offensive skills.

He'll be like a Brandon Dawson if you want a good comparison. Just think he will have a little better offensive skills.

I was trying to think of who Morrow reminded me off....this isn't too bad of a comparison.  Ed's a guy who plays much bigger than his size.  He handled himself well against a much bigger Jahlil Okafor last year, which kind of reminded me of how Byron Houston used to dominate guys much taller than him, but Byron was built like a brick s#$thouse.  Obviously much different body types.  

It would be nice to have a true post to go with Ed at the 4.  Maybe Hammond will become that guy for us but I haven't seen anything this year that tells me he has a low post game.  I think we'll have a better idea of what Jacob brings to the table as his body develops in our S&C program.

I haven't seen a player that reminds me more of Rodman.  That's precisely what we're getting, without all the weird.  The kid is relentless.  

I think he's going to have better offensive tools than Rodman. 

Watching their game against Indiana, you might say Ed's something of a taller version of Jae'Sean Tate from Ohio State.  Tate's like 6'4" but plays like a power forward.  He's not taking a lot of perimeter shots.  His points come at or near the rim.  And he grabs a lot of boards for the minutes he plays.

Now, if Glynn Watson can come in and play like D'Angelo Russell, we'd really have something.

Don't forget a huge part of Rodman's game was how dominant he was defensively. He could defend 3-4 positions on the court. Don't know if Morrow will have that right off the bat

Probably 3, same as David Rivers.  But, even so, I'm not big on the Rodman comparison other than both having a rebounding mentality.  When he played, Rodman might get 20 rebounds in a game but wind up with only a few points.  I see Morrow being much more of an offensive threat than that.  And maybe not quite as prolific of a rebounder while still being a fairly prolific rebounder.

The coaches appear to be very high on Morrow and, reading the tea leaves, I would expect to see a lot of him fairly early on in his career if he's the kind of player they think he is.

One thing I should add, bleujay, and I'm not sure if you've watched any of the game film for Morrow that's been posted (why would you?  I wouldn't have if he was going to some other school), but what I see out of Morrow is a guy who is a really quick leaper with really long arms and he must have just huge hands, because he'll reach through traffic and snare a rebound one-handed and come away with it.

But then, once he has the board, if it's an offensive board, he's looking for the put-back opportunity.  Rodman was generally content to snag the board and kick it out to a teammate to initiate the offense.  Morrow is adept at grabbing the offensive board and immediately springing back up to bank in a put-back. 

I can honestly say I've never seen film of a player that Nebraska was legitimately in contention of landing who wowed me as much as this kid.

If you go back in the archives of this site, you'll see me question why we were even recruiting David Rivers.  And I like David.  He's a glue guy and has become a 3-year starter here.  They're similar in size but, IMO, there's just a night and day difference in ability.  I hate to hype a kid too much, like what happened with Tai Webster, so I've tried to say things like "eventually, he could be an upgrade over David Rivers."  But, truth be told, my expectations are far higher than that.  Might take him a bit to learn the college game, but once he gets his sea legs, he'll be one of our best players at some point during his freshman year.

Rodman averaged 25 and 15 in college, albeit NAIA.  That probably translates to 15 and 10 in D1.  

Morrow's highlights are largely big finishes, putbacks, blocked shots, and hustle plays.  He's not a great ball handler.  I'm guessing he can guard 3-5.  I saw maybe one or two post up highlights and like one jumper.  I think he's a scrapper all the way, but to an extreme, point-producing level.  I don't see Morrow ever evolving into a Barkley-type talent because of his offensive limitations.

But to watch his film and think he could be the next Rodman is kind of a crazy revelation to speak out loud.  I'm excited as well.  

Rodman averaged 25 and 15 in college, albeit NAIA.  That probably translates to 15 and 10 in D1.  

Morrow's highlights are largely big finishes, putbacks, blocked shots, and hustle plays.  He's not a great ball handler.  I'm guessing he can guard 3-5.  I saw maybe one or two post up highlights and like one jumper.  I think he's a scrapper all the way, but to an extreme, point-producing level.  I don't see Morrow ever evolving into a Barkley-type talent because of his offensive limitations.

But to watch his film and think he could be the next Rodman is kind of a crazy revelation to speak out loud.  I'm excited as well.  

Go back and watch the game from last year where Morrow played against Okafor. He hit a couple threes and made numerous mid range jump shots. I was surprised how well he shot in that game. I think he scored 22.

OK, I should probably clarify my comments.  I think he'll eventually be one of our best players.  I think he'll contribute as a freshman and be one of our better players as a freshman, though perhaps not one of our best.  Best players will be Terran, Shavon and Andrew.  That's a pretty good list, right there.

But I think it's safe to assume productivity as a freshman on the level of what we saw out of Shavon Shields or perhaps even greater.  And we all know how much people liked that Shields kid.