Deng Deng 2014 Juco F *committed to Baylor 5.4.14*

Deng does not look like a project to me.  Atewe from last year looked like a project.  Deng is 6'8 and can handle the ball, shoot from the outside, take his man off the dribble, run the floor, rebound, block shots, etc.  He's put up multiple 30-40+ point games, which isn't easy when you have a team full of JUCO guys who all want to get their points.

My basis, is I think we are ok at the 4 and 5, numbers wise and I think we would benefit from adding a guard. We lose 2 guys at the guard spot. None at the forward and already gain 2 people. Then I look at size already committed for 2015 and the idea that TP may be gone after one more year which would leave us with, hawk, Benny and Tai. It would also leave us heavy on juniors. Lyrik from a few scouting reports and very good interest and a great offer seems to me like something we could work with for 4 years balance the class a bit and offer some needed depth. He seems like a version of a Ray with a better slashing a ability. I like you have a friend who is a scout who sees potential there. A lot of this has to do with who the coaches think they have for the 2015 class and or interest in that class. They may feel like they have a guard locked up and be a big?

At 56:00 he gets a fast break dunk, then grabs the board at 56:45 and finishes an And 1 around 57:20.  Nice stretch for him.

That game film was hard to watch.  First of all the video quality left a bit to be desired.  But, more significantly, GEESH!  I've seen more organized pick-up games.  Can someone set a screen?  Can we get some defense out here?

Deng looks pretty skilled, good ball handler for a guy his size.  He doesn't look like the "one big away" guy that we need.  He's not a banger.  I agree with those who say he looks more like a 3.  He does post up and he has the quicks and some moves to get some separation in order to get off a shot, but he's not moving people out of the lane on defense and he's not battling down low like what I'd want to see out of a true big man.

That is not to say that he can't do some things for us.  Clearly, the guy has some skills and some athleticism.  I would imagine he hasn't been playing organized hoops for a huge long time but he's a pretty skilled ball handler, notwithstanding, for a guy his size.  Tough to tell much about his shot from that film.  But he must be putting the biscuit in the basket in order to be putting up the numbers he's apparently putting up.

I'll defer to the coaches.  They know what they need and what they want and whether Deng brings those things.