Natalie is N!

Row6Seat10

So we will have Theriot (class of 2012), Havers (2013), Page and Romeo (2014), and Sheppard (2015) all at the same time for Rachel's senior year, correct?

If so, that has the makings of a Big Ten championship team if these players develop to where they project (and we know Connie has a history of developing outstanding players if they start out with solid potential).

Exciting times!

i agree with you huskerfan86, it should be the most talented starting 5 we've had.  i look for bigger things than the conference title.  i'm picking us for that this year, though it's a risky pick, since our point had surgery and, so much of our success rides on her running the offense.  that my friend is why Miss Natalie is such an important get.

After watching her highlight tape, she definitely has good vision and ball handling. She'll need to develop a jump shot because I have suspicions about her being a 'true' 5'8". I would put her at 5'6" at best. Driving the lane will be much tougher at the next level and defenders will force her out of the lane. Word around the program is that Connie wants to get more tall guards who can bring the ball up and/or run the break. I think we are seeing that with some current players and also future players as Bugeaters mentioned

from (prospect nation)

Natalie Romeo to Nebraska

Natalie-Romeo-300.preview.jpg
Natalie Romeo will look to make the same impact
as Lindsey Moore at Nebraska. *Photo by Chris Hansen.

Coming out of the spring, there weren’t many players who had made as much of an impact on the circuit as Natalie Romeo of Martinez, Calif.

The 5-8 point guard proved that she can run a team and create offense for others. Her games against elite summer programs like Boo Williams and DFW helped her standout and elevate herself as one of the better point guards in the class of 2014.

This week Romeo decided to give her verbal pledge to Nebraska and take her playmaking ability to the BigTen. Romeo, who picked Nebraska over Boston College, Louisville, Oregon, Oregon State, St. Mary’s, and Utah, has the potential to be a centerpiece of Nebraska’s offense for years to come, much in the same way Lindsey Moore has been the last four years.

In addition to Romeo, Nebraska has four-star forward Kaylee Page from Alma, Kansas, and three-star guard Jasmine Cincore from Memphis, Tenn.

Another article on Natalie's commitment to the Huskers.

http://southerncaliforniapreps.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1535110

1340758.jpg

"It was amazing." Romeo said of her unofficial visit. "The town is kind of run by the college."

"Their fan base was important. The coaches and the team," Romeo said on why she chose Nebraska. "The way they run. I play best when I can go as fast as I can."

"One thing the Huskers will get with Natalie Romeo coming to Lincoln is a confident floor general and one who brings a consistent motor to the floor," NCP analyst Chris Roemer said on the commitment. "Natalie thrives in the open floor offensively and possesses the ability to finish in traffic. A guard with a purpose she's a player they envision playing alongside former Sports City U guard Rachel Theriot."

• 2 weeks later...

Another article with Natalie after she committed.

Natalie Romeo has a flair for sketching and, given recent developments, she may just be drawing some corn fields in the future.

She’ll certainly have the opportunity as Romeo, a Carondelet High of Concord star, committed to Nebraska on Thursday evening.

“I’m really excited,” Romeo said by phone. “They’ve been my No. 1 for a while. I love the campus — it’s such a pretty place and I like the players and the coach, too.”

The Cornhuskers have been following Romeo for a while now, including to the recent End of the Oregon Trail summer tournament in Oregon City, Ore. Romeo went down in that tournament with a dislocated knee and strained MCL in the second-to-last game and didn’t return. But she’s on the mend now and her injury did not dissuade the Huskers.

“They told me they like the way I see the court and that I’m humble,” said Romeo, a 5-foot-7 rising senior.

The lithe Romeo averaged 21.4 points, 5.6 rebounds, 6.7 assists and 6.3 steals last season for Carondelet, which won the North Coast Section title game 84-56 against Clayton Valley.  She had 18 points in that game.

Carondelet (27-4) defeated Archbishop Mitty 89-69 in the first round of the Northern California regionals, but fell to St. Mary’s of Stockton 75-70 in the semifiinals.

The slick point guard from Martinez visited Nebraska in June before the AAU season and said she “liked everything about” the university. She chose the Huskers over Utah, Oregon State, USF and St. Mary’s and others.

Romeo is the daughter of Vince and Maria Romeo. Vince played football at Alhambra High and Cal State Hayward and Maria played basketball in El Savador before coming to the United States at age 15.

Older sister Camille also played basketball in high school, but suffered a leg injury her senior year and now studies business at Sonoma State.

Natalie Romeo, when not daydreaming about basketball glory, fantasizes about the Romeo sisters combining their off-court skills.

Said Natalie: “She’s studying business and I like to draw and design, so we always say that I’m going to design clothes and she’s going to help me with the business side of it.”

Looks like that will have to wait at least four or five years now.

http://prep2prep.com/PrepCat/basketball-carondelets-romeo-picks-cornhuskers/

• 3 months later...