Questions I have to ask....

Husker football vs. Husker basketball  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Are you more excited for Husker football or basketball this year?

• Husker football
    • Husker men's basketball
    • Love both equally
  2. 2. Which Husker coach has their program headed in a more positive direction

• Tim Miles
    • Bo Pelini
    • Connie Yori
    • Hard to compare due to where Husker men's basketball has been
    • Darin Erstad

First of all, I have to say I have been a fan of both Husker football and basketball since I was a little kid.  I didn't get the chance to go to Husker basketball games like I did football games when I was little; however, during college in the late Moe & early Neebasketball era, I was a fixture at the basketball games.  I want to get everyone's opinion on these questions as I have done a lot of thinking over the last year about where my excitement concerning Husker sports is directed towards.  I think Tim Miles is setting the standard for how coaches at Nebraska need to handle their program, players and COACHING STAFF.  I don't want to be critical of any Husker coaches; however, with the great basketball fans on this board, I wonder if Husker basketball unseats Husker football as the sport you are most passionate about @ Nebraska or if Husker football still is #1 overall.

The first part of the question was easy for me since I've always cared more about Husker basketball than football, even during the down years. The second part is a little more difficult but I went with Tim Miles just because. I don't really follow the women's ball too closely. I do know they've had a couple nice players recently. Griffin and Hooper? Not to put down anything that Yori has accomplished but I also have to assume that it's easier to break through (make the tournament etc) in the women's game especially when there has been better HS girls talent around these parts. More division 1 girls prospects than boys, I think anyway. Maybe I should've gone with the third option since Miles really hasn't had a chance to get it rolling yet. You could justify the Miles vote though just on the fact that he has taken the Nebrasketball name from a complete pile of poo and placed it in the national news.

Question #1 - It's always been basketball for me.  I follow football and baseball as well, but basketball has always been my favorite sport.

Question #2 - I think one could say that Yori has had the womens team headed in the right direction for awhile, so I removed her from the equation and compared only Miles and Pelini.  Miles gets my vote.

I am very optimistic about Husker men's basketball and baseball. Both are headed upward with admirable coaches. The same goes for Coach Yori and women's basketball with a track record to prove it. I respect and like Coachs Miles, Yori and Erstad and would love to have my son or daughter play for any of these three coaches. They recruit good players and people, have great assistant coaches and are able to deal with the public spotlight very well.

I am a football fan but think Husker football is headed sideways at best. I will always be a Husker fan and hope for the best but I am not convinced we are going anywhere with this Coach and assistants. I neither like nor respect Coach Pelini and would not want my son the play football for him. Sorry to be so blunt about this but, as you can tell, I feel pretty strongly about where football is headed. Thank goodness for basketball, baseball and volleyball!

Heck - you forgot to include Bill Straub... :D

In 17 years as a varsity sport, Nebraska has become one of the top programs in the nation. Nebraska Coach Bill Straub has guided the Huskers to unprecedented success, winning national titles in 1991, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2005, 2009 and 2013.

I don't nearly have the negative feelings for Bo and the direction of the program that a lot of people have.  I think this could be one of the top two or three offenses in school history.  Bo's grown a lot since that night in College Station but still is seen as that hot head which really isn't the case nearly as much as most would make it seem.  He's fiercely loyal to his players and they all say they love playing for him.  He does need to fix the defense this year, but they're going to be much more athletic across the board, hopefully that will translate into more success on the field.  They don't need to be great, they just need to be decent and this team will have a very good season.

I don't favor one sport over the other, I cheer as for hard for football as I do for basketball, I like having some diversity in my rooting seasons and love how the seasons leads into the next.

I've also said before that I think Yori is the best coach on campus.  You can make a case for a couple of other coaches but there isn't any that's better than Yori.

I think Connie's a no-brainer here. What she's done is nothing short of amazing. If Miles gets half that in the next 6 years, I'll consider us fortunate. As for Bo, well....

Connie has been able to find great talent in the state though. That makes it a lot easier.

That's helped, no doubt, but her two best players weren't locals.  They were from about as far away as you can get without leaving the country.  The women's hoops program was also in a hole that was deeper than what Miles inherited.  That program was all sorts of a mess when Sanderford left.

I think Connie's a no-brainer here. What she's done is nothing short of amazing. If Miles gets half that in the next 6 years, I'll consider us fortunate. As for Bo, well....

Connie has been able to find great talent in the state though. That makes it a lot easier.

the bulk of our talent is out of state. besides, it's one thing to find a diamond, another entirely to extract it. she deserves credit for her accomplishments.

I am a football fan but think Husker football is headed sideways at best. I will always be a Husker fan and hope for the best but I am not convinced we are going anywhere with this Coach and assistants. I neither like nor respect Coach Pelini and would not want my son the play football for him. Sorry to be so blunt about this but, as you can tell, I feel pretty strongly about where football is headed. Thank goodness for basketball, baseball and volleyball!

Could not disagree more.   We've already gone quite a ways from where we were when Bo took over, despite a conference change his third year.  Recruiting has picked up, and I am optimistic we will head better than "sideways".  I don't get the not liking and respecting, but to each his own, I guess. 

With this being a basketball heavy website I'm not surprised by results. Would be interesting to see the results of these polls on Red Sea scrolls or something like that. I kinda think Tim Miles would win the coach one but the other one would be interesting...

The biggest issue is we've came close with basketball during Nee's days but never got there and fell all the way back and beyond where we had been with Cip and Moe.  With football, Nebraska fans became spoiled. 

This is indeed a basketball site, and I would be surprised by any result that did not have Coach Miles either first or a very, very close second.  I think Coach Miles has the ship headed in the right direction.  My only hesitation is that we have been down this road a lot as a Husker basketball fan.  Yet, this trip seems different, and for that feeling, I am pretty darn happy.

I join HB and a few others with their view on Bo.  The man is doing a very good job.  He has rebuilt the foundation of the team, which is extremely difficult to do.  It is my observation that the direction of his program is up. 

I look at almost every program at UNL and think it is heading in the right direction.  There may be a hiccup up two, but generally, the UNL athletic house is in good shape with good coaching staff's in place. 

This is indeed a basketball site, and I would be surprised by any result that did not have Coach Miles either first or a very, very close second.  I think Coach Miles has the ship headed in the right direction.  My only hesitation is that we have been down this road a lot as a Husker basketball fan.  Yet, this trip seems different, and for that feeling, I am pretty darn happy.

I join HB and a few others with their view on Bo.  The man is doing a very good job.  He has rebuilt the foundation of the team, which is extremely difficult to do.  It is my observation that the direction of his program is up. 

I look at almost every program at UNL and think it is heading in the right direction.  There may be a hiccup up two, but generally, the UNL athletic house is in good shape with good coaching staff's in place. 

Well said

The football v basketball is so tough because the margin for improvement is so much smaller. The football program is historically a national force and, when relatively slight improvements can be at the top of the charts again. The basketball program has a much wider gap between where we are and becoming a national force. So, my excitement level for both is different but intense.

Oh, and I voted for Erstad though Yori was a tempting choice. Yori's team really performed terrifically last year and looks to be good again. Erstad, however, in his 2nd year at the helm of a program in deep trouble very nearly had them in position for a CWS run. They were that close. And his incoming recruiting class has a lot of talent.

The football v basketball is so tough because the margin for improvement is so much smaller. The football program is historically a national force and, when relatively slight improvements can be at the top of the charts again. The basketball program has a much wider gap between where we are and becoming a national force. So, my excitement level for both is different but intense.

Oh, and I voted for Erstad though Yori was a tempting choice. Yori's team really performed terrifically last year and looks to be good again. Erstad, however, in his 2nd year at the helm of a program in deep trouble very nearly had them in position for a CWS run. They were that close. And his incoming recruiting class has a lot of talent.

The pitching staff had better get a whole lot better if they are going to make a serious run at the CWS

1.  I love NU athletics.  I try to follow all of them as closely as I can from Central Texas.  I voted FB and BB equal.  I've been able to celebrate 5 national championships in FB and hope to see NU win one (1) NCAA game before my time expires on this planet.

2.  I voted for Miles because of the enthusiasm and energy he seems to have generated in the program, plus I thought he did a hell of a job with last year's team. 

Football is going to be competitive but the days of challenging annually for conference (1999) and National Championships are not coming back to Lincoln.  It's going to be tough to keep pace with Ohio State and Michigan.  I have mixed feelings about Pellini and some of his staff but after the debacle with his predecessor (it's only one game, one season Callahan), I can live with it.