Gary Gaskins

Last year as a freshman at Brevard, he averaged 5.87 ppg, 5.95 rpg, 2.3 blocks and 1.7 turnovers per game. Shot 65% from the floor (lots of dunks?) and 58% from the stripe. He could conceivably double his scoring from last year. That seems to be common with jucos going from their freshman to sophomore years (the good ones at least.)

He's listed at 6-9 or 6-10 and Rivals has him at 210#. My guess is he doesn't have the frame to add another 30 pounds, but we'll see. That would be OK if he had the skills to play the 3, but my guess is that his skillset projects to a 4 or 5 and that's just a little on the skinny side for a league that bangs like the B1G.

Honestly (and I can say this on our private recruiting page) I was hoping we'd be looking at just a bit higher level of player. And, in fairness, we did look at a higher level of players -- and appear to have struck out. According to Rivals, he has offers from Fla Atlantic, Marshall and UAB. That's similar to the offer list of the guys we've been bringing in for the last dozen years. And, a couple of years ago, I probably would have been excited a kid like this. But, if we want to take that next step, we have to pull players away from some bigger name programs. Just sayin.

I think a kid gets 5 official visits and, according to Rivals, he's already used 3 of them at the above-named schools. If he visits Okie State and us, that's his 5. So, figure the decision probably comes down to those 5 schools.

Last year as a freshman at Brevard, he averaged 5.87 ppg, 5.95 rpg, 2.3 blocks and 1.7 turnovers per game. Shot 65% from the floor (lots of dunks?) and 58% from the stripe. He could conceivably double his scoring from last year. That seems to be common with jucos going from their freshman to sophomore years (the good ones at least.)

He's listed at 6-9 or 6-10 and Rivals has him at 210#. My guess is he doesn't have the frame to add another 30 pounds, but we'll see. That would be OK if he had the skills to play the 3, but my guess is that his skillset projects to a 4 or 5 and that's just a little on the skinny side for a league that bangs like the B1G.

Honestly (and I can say this on our private recruiting page) I was hoping we'd be looking at just a bit higher level of player. And, in fairness, we did look at a higher level of players -- and appear to have struck out. According to Rivals, he has offers from Fla Atlantic, Marshall and UAB. That's similar to the offer list of the guys we've been bringing in for the last dozen years. And, a couple of years ago, I probably would have been excited a kid like this. But, if we want to take that next step, we have to pull players away from some bigger name programs. Just sayin.

I think a kid gets 5 official visits and, according to Rivals, he's already used 3 of them at the above-named schools. If he visits Okie State and us, that's his 5. So, figure the decision probably comes down to those 5 schools.

Looks like I could have just read the LJS article and saved myself the trouble of diggin up all those stats from his juco and Rivals. But LJS didn't say how much he WEIGHED! So I got THAT MUCH on them!

Says this about him in one article:

BCC returns four players from last year squad and also brought in a quality recruiting class. Leading the returnees is 6-10, 210-pound power forward Gary Gaskins. Gaskins, who was invited to the Jerry Mullen JUCO Top 100 Camp this past summer, has scholarship offers from Oklahoma, Florida Atlantic, South Alabama, AUB and Southern Mississippi. He also has gotten interest from Marshall, Marquette, Tennessee, Mississippi St., Wright St. and UNC Wilmington.

Returning Players

Gary Gaskins: Gaskins, a late bloomer, averaged 5.9 points, 6 rebounds, 2.3 blocks and shot 64.6% from the field for the Titans in 2011-12. He is long and athletic with great shot-blocking skills.

Gaskins still has to work on his low post game offensively but does have the ability to knock down 12-15 foot jumpers with some consistency.

July 9, 2012 - Brevard Community College basketball player Gary Gaskins has been invited to the Jerry Mullen JuCo Top 100 Camp, the most prestigious, invitation-only junior college showcase in the nation.

And finally: As a freshman Gaskins averaged 5.9 points, 6.0 rebounds and 2.2 blocks in 16 minutes of play while sharing time with two teammates who went on to sign with Division I schools. Shulman's description of Gaskins' style of play evokes memories of former FAU center and Sun Belt Conference Defensive Player of the Year Brett Royster - though Gaskins' offensive skills appear to be much further advanced.

"He's 6-10. He's very long. He's very athletic. He flat out jumps out of the gym," Shulman said. "He can make a mid-range jump shot but has to work on his back-to-the-basket game."

This is what stuck out most to me. Late bloomer and has a year in the Air Force. And backed up two guys who went DI.

At least it is something to think about.

He is a Juco. We would only tie up a spot for 2 years. I would like/hope we would get commits from a higher caliber of players too but what do you do when they say no? Also, I am wondering what happened in the Air Force? In one article it said he went in after high school and a year later joined the junior college he is at now. The Air Force has 4 and 6 year commitments. Hmmm.

Way too similar. Plus <60% from FTs... ugh.

I personally think he would be a solid back-up. I know a lot of you guys are wanting the creme de la creme but we also need guys off the bench. I think he would be a great change of pace guy to back up Pitchford, and sub in for Vucetic when they play small. Hes very athletic and aggressive. We need to have a solid bench in the B1G if we want to compete and this guy I think would be a solid fit.

Norm said: "Honestly (and I can say this on our private recruiting page) I was hoping we'd be looking at just a bit higher level of player."

We probably all agree with this statement to some degree. Perhaps, however, one factor to remember in defense of Coach Miles is this: the curse of Akoy. It seems that Coach Miles has spent such a high level of time and energy and effort to reel Akoy in that the focus and attention he could have been making on other players of a similar type has suffered in the process. It has been a roll of the dice on long odds for Akoy . . . and all for naught (or so it seems).

Norm said: "Honestly (and I can say this on our private recruiting page) I was hoping we'd be looking at just a bit higher level of player."

We probably all agree with this statement to some degree. Perhaps, however, one factor to remember in defense of Coach Miles is this: the curse of Akoy. It seems that Coach Miles has spent such a high level of time and energy and effort to reel Akoy in that the focus and attention he could have been making on other players of a similar type has suffered in the process. It has been a roll of the dice on long odds for Akoy . . . and all for naught (or so it seems).

Seems like Miles would really like a Juco PF to balance out the classes. I can't say that I blame him. He does seem to have a good amount of upside, albeit raw upside.

He is a Juco. We would only tie up a spot for 2 years. I would like/hope we would get commits from a higher caliber of players too but what do you do when they say no? Also, I am wondering what happened in the Air Force? In one article it said he went in after high school and a year later joined the junior college he is at now. The Air Force has 4 and 6 year commitments. Hmmm.

There are many ways to get kicked out of the Air Force. Most of them are not good. However, he may have just decided it wasn't a good fit and didn't pass his Job Training intentionally. Completely a guess though.

Also, if out of the services he choose the Air Force he might be a little soft. Just an Army guy talkin'... :D

There are many ways to get kicked out of the Air Force. Most of them are not good. However, he may have just decided it wasn't a good fit and didn't pass his Job Training intentionally. Completely a guess though.

Also, if out of the services he choose the Air Force he might be a little soft. Just an Army guy talkin'... :D

Or much more intelligent than an Army recruit. Just a prior Air Force guy talkin' B)