Nick Rogers 2015 PG

hhcmatt

Whoa.  Norm likes.

Underrated by Scout, IMO.

Not tall but not super short, either.  Serious ups.  Can shoot off the dribble, appears to have decent range.  Can also penetrate and hit those little floaters.  Quick athlete.  Quick hands. 

What kind of numbers did he put up last year and against what level of competition?

He has tremendous athleticism in a 6'0" package.  Great handles, with a nice cross-over and great change of direction.  He's a decent shooter, to boot.  Can alternately shoot off the dribble or attack the rim, plus he appears to be a credible perimeter shooter.  Great combination of skills to have. 

Glad to hear about us getting a visit.  And great weather while he's out here.  I'm going to keep an eye on this kid.

He must have reclassified at some point.  The last video I just posted indicates his freshman year was '10-'11 (and the vid was posted in '11).  Rivals has him as a '15 recruit and he plays for some "academy" now so he might have transferred to a prep school at some point.  Which is OK.  Means he'll be 19 when he enters college instead of 18.  Or 17 like Brandon Ubel was when he showed up in Lincoln.

Just adding instead of editing:  He plays for Traders Point Christian Academy now.  As a freshman, according to the video, he was at Pike High in Indianapolis.  At some point, he must have tacked on a hear to his HS career.

Rivals says he carries a 3.5 GPA.  Should have no trouble with initial eligibility requirements.

He must have reclassified at some point. The last video I just posted indicates his freshman year was '10-'11 (and the vid was posted in '11). Rivals has him as a '15 recruit and he plays for some "academy" now so he might have transferred to a prep school at some point. Which is OK. Means he'll be 19 when he enters college instead of 18. Or 17 like Brandon Ubel was when he showed up in Lincoln.

He did reclassify. Robin's article describes a lawn mower accident that nearly cost him 3 fingers. He was out a season, missed some school time, and then transferred schools.

Interesting that he's right handed but prefers to dunk with the left. Appears to have good court vision.

I'm gathering he dunks left handed because of the lawnmower accident mentioned by ajb above in which Nick lost the tips of 3 fingers on his right hand.  Might not be able to get a solid grip on the ball with his right hand for that reason.  But, apparently, the kid can still stroke it.  Like seeing a kid who rises up from adversity.  He's going to want it and not take things for granted like a kid who maybe didn't have to work as hard to be good.

That story alone makes me like this kid all the more.

Just be very careful around lawn mowers.  Yikes.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/preps/basketball/story/2012-02-13/Pike-guard-recovers-from-mower-accident/53080548/1

Great quote from the story linked above:

His ball-handling with his left, which had always been good, improved dramatically. He even taught himself to shoot jump shots with his left hand.

"He spent countless hours on that left hand," his father said with a laugh. "In reality, it's made him a better player because he can rely on his left so much now."

Thanks, Norm, for linking the USA Today article. An amazing story! Gotta admire Nick Rogers for his dedication and for his perseverance through adversity. Getting up, for example, at 5:00 a.m. 3 days a week to work out before school--and that was before his injury!

• 2 weeks later...

I hope we keep on him.  Out of all the PG's we are in on right now I think Nick is my favorite. 

Yeah he's a stud.  He and Jojo Anderson should both be highly ranked prospects.  It is amazing how easy Rogers makes dunking look, considering he is only 6'0" tall.  He is definitely athletic and would be very fun to watch in a Husker uniform.

• 9 months later...

Robin talked with his dad and did an update. He is still very excited about Nebraska and talks to Miles and Harriman "all the time". Plans on making an official visit this fall the weekend of a football game.

Looks like Nebraska and Ole Miss are his only two high major offers as of right now.