The Official Media Thread

On 12/22/2021 at 10:28 AM, uneblinstu said:

I was wondering this as well. I haven't been able to find any sort of announcement outside of what I saw Shatel write the other day. Thought maybe I missed something?

@hhcmatt unless I’ve missed something the past couple of days, he may not even know yet. Hasn’t at least announced anything publicly. Also curious what happens to the 1620 lineup now. 

Just now, uneblinstu said:

@hhcmatt unless I’ve missed something the past couple of days, he may not even know yet. Hasn’t at least announced anything publicly. Also curious what happens to the 1620 lineup now. 

Considering in radio when they fire you, they don't give you time to run out the rest of your contract this must have been a 'we can't agree on a contract' or 'we want to cut costs' move.

93.7 undergoing end-of-year changes as well effective after Thursday - 

• Happer & Schafer is ending (8-11 am) - reading between the lines, Happer may be headed to 1620? 
  • Tom Stevens retiring (11-2 pm) but Bock is staying

They'll be announcing a revamped lineup soon. 

Doesn't sound like this affects their post-game basketball call-in shows.

4 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Wonder if it'll be a solo show of Connor or he'll have a co-host. Schaefer's not sticking around at 93.7 either, so wonder if they're jumping over together?

Schaefer is a recruiting pro so he knows not to follow 1620 on twitter if he is indeed also going there. 

Wonder if it'll be a solo show of Connor or he'll have a co-host. Schaefer's not sticking around at 93.7 either, so wonder if they're jumping over together?

Gonna go out on a limb and assume if he’s replacing the time slot that’s been a one man midday show for the past couple of years, (Nick Bahe, Gary) it’ll probably just be The Connor Happer Show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to get more of an NU hoops flavor on 93.7's new lineup

• 6-8 am - same
  • DP & Jay Foreman move to 8-11 am
  • From 11-2 T Badgett and Vershan Jackson have a new show
  • 2-3 pm - same
  • 3-6 pm - Bock on for one hour then Strickland joins him from 4-6

Not sure just yet how this affects some of the night time shows

On one of the segments on the Finsl GSS, they alluded to another solo show in the 10-2 slot, so Happer in that slot makes sense. Unless he goes to USC and one of those guys gets the solo show. That would surprise me, though the lack of an announcement is interesting. Big sure why that’s a big secret when everything else has been announced already. 

Edited by uneblinstu

11 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

On one of the segments on the Finsl GSS, they alluded to another solo show in the 10-2 slot, so Happer in that slot makes sense. Unless he goes to USC and one of those guys gets the solo show. That would surprise me, though the lack of an announcement is interesting. Big sure why that’s a big secret when everything else has been announced already. 

Seemed like they were keeping it secret out of respect to the two radio stations....sort of like hiring a basketball coach

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Seemed like they were keeping it secret out of respect to the two radio stations....sort of like hiring a basketball coach

John Gaskins called in to say his farewell and accidentally made mention of it, so the cat is unofficially officially out of the bag even though everyone basically put all the pieces together a while ago. So, unless he’s taking a spot on USC and those roles are getting shuffled, I think we all know what’s happening here at this point…

Edited by uneblinstu

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, 49r said:

The OWH's sports department pivot away from Husker coverage to primarily Creighton stuff has ostensibly killed it.  Can't say I feel sorry for them.

That's not at all what's going on there; it's a series of firings to boost Lee Enterprise's stock.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Nebraska athletic director Trev Alberts confirmed on Monday that the athletic department has agreed to a long-term multi-media rights deal with JMI Sports.

1 minute ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I know someone who used to work for IMG and they were surprised we were going the independent route.

Pros: we learned best practices when IMG was in control, can take it over, save a lot in the budget (IMG would negotiate an advertising value and pocket the rest), and can have more control over the product.

Cons: you have to have the relationships and negotiating prowess to be successful independently, you need to build the right staff, and it takes a lot of work and focus.

It seems Moos cut ties seeing the pros, the administration tried it out and revaluated with the mindset that the returns aren't worth the internal effort.