The Official Media Thread

4 hours ago, 49r said:

Wilheem and Tominaga are everyone’s favorites. Seems like these guys all have pretty good chemistry. (But we say that every year so…)

I seem to recall a lot of ppl thought that Teddy could be a chemistry issue before last season even started. But, yeah, a lot of years all we ever hear is that the team is so 'close' (and that applies to all NU sports...). Then the season begins. And, if things go south, the chemistry is blamed for how it worked out. It has happened that way too often.

You've gotta pity the poor coach and players who have to come up with something newsworthy to say, when there is nothing substantive to report. 

It's in such contexts that we hear about "chemistry" and how players are "moving around"--what else is there to talk about?

Never mind that "chemistry" always takes a hit when depth charts start prioritizing some players over others--and when actual rotations start settling early priorities and bench sitters into reality--and when scoring roles are better defined (as in, "You are in for defense and rebounding and assists.  Do not shoot unless you are wide open under the basket!").

And who's going to bad-mouth "chemistry" before the season starts (as in, "Yeah, we pretty much suck at getting along.  One player, for example, is a black hole and won't pass the ball, which makes everyone else angry, and they refuse to pass to him").  Not gonna hear that.

From OWH story about Pro Day:

The first 10 on the court for 5-on-5 drills looked like this: Alonzo Verge, Trey McGowens, Bryce McGowens, Lat Mayen and Derrick Walker on one squad, with Kobe Webster, Keisei Tominaga, C.J. Wilcher, Wilhelm Breidenbach and Eduardo Andre on the other. That left scholarship players Lakes, Quaran McPherson and Oleg Kojenets on a team with walk-ons Sam Hoiberg and Jackson Cronin.

* DePaul transfer Keon Edwards was in his practice gear but didn't participate in the workout after playing in Friday's Opening Night event. It was the opposite for Mayen, who sat out Opening Night, but was active Tuesday morning. Walk-ons Chris McGraw and Jace Piatkowski also didn't take part in the workout.

• 2 weeks later...

Just last week, Jon rothstein (a big deal in CBB in my experience) had an episode  on his Podcast, where he mentioned coming thru nebraska on his preseason touring of practices etc on the side, and visited creighton and Nebraska one day. creighton first, and said he thought they were in a rebuilding year and would not be a tourney team this time. :)

In lincoln though, he complimented how athletic the team looked in practice and how we looked like a squad with a lot of potential for high scoring this year (loosely from my memory)-- with a noted lack of the defensive size required in this league... but that doesn't matter much. likes the direction, essentially. He took special note to highlight for the week (later going back at the end of the episode to re-emphasize) one of our players as a sleeper: Keisei. Said he was incredibly impressed with his shooting and that the kid could be one of the best shooters in the nation this year, one to keep an eye on.

FWIW it was exciting to get a spotlight on some husker talent. and im really happy for Tominaga, he deserves it from what I can tell... and I have a feeling he'll be a great locker room guy, a glue guy. The dude that puts it all out there and the team loves to see succeed and celebrate the little things he does, back in the locker room. just my feeling.

GBR! It's oh, oh so close now, I can taste it!

Edited by HolyBobpilgrimage

give him a follow though, seriously. His CBB content, although straightforward without a ton of flash, is some of the best coverage I consume throughout the year. He has the best guests as well. you probably know him, but just in case. You also might not be a podcast addict like I am, its a bit out of control tbh

On 10/16/2021 at 7:27 AM, HolyBobpilgrimage said:

give him a follow though, seriously. His CBB content, although straightforward without a ton of flash, is some of the best coverage I consume throughout the year. He has the best guests as well. you probably know him, but just in case.

Rothstein is funny because he comes across like a basketball cyborg, which is a combination of impressive and odd.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...