The Official Media Thread

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

HCFH on Sports Nightly Tonight (Thurs) @ 6:25 for anyone interested (for sheltering at homers, what else have you got to do :wink:)

(There are some audio & video streaming links that I think may work)

Edited by Red Don

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, 49r said:

Will the for sure be getting someone to replace him?  Seems like papers are cutting staff every day and it would not surprise me to see them just not fill the vacancy.

That's certainly possible. One other thing to consider with this job is that you're also losing a football reporter and Nebraska football pays the bills.

17 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

That's certainly possible. One other thing to consider with this job is that you're also losing a football reporter and Nebraska football pays the bills.

Maybe they'll just make McKeown do it?  IDK, I haven't read the World Herald in years so I don't know who does what around there any more.

Excellent 'farewell' article by Chris Heady !!!   :Mfclap::Mfclap::Mfclap:

(Some snippets)

This is my final dispatch on this beat before moving back to Kansas. Though in the grand arc of history that news is rather small, it’s worth taking a moment to take stock of where, frozen in this moment, the basketball program stands.

It’s changed before my eyes in two years, and it could change even more in the next two.

The differences go beyond the coach but we’ll start there, because with the transition from Tim Miles to Fred Hoiberg, there’s been a drastic shift in resources, expectations and internal operations. .....................

In talking with sources, Miles and his staff asked for upgrades during those five years and were told no often. That went for hiring assistants, signing recruits and even, once, an Adidas display of throwback jerseys to put outside the basketball offices.

Hoiberg’s $25 million contract pays him $3.57 million a year, which, according to the most recent available numbers, makes Hoiberg the 11th-highest-paid college basketball coach and third-highest in the Big Ten. Nebraska’s assistant coaching salary pool was doubled for Hoiberg’s staff, with Matt Abdelmassih as the second-highest-paid assistant in the Big Ten. ....................

Hoiberg can get into PBA to practice whenever he needs, a luxury not always open to Miles. The new administrative liaison, John Johnson, is hands off, which is what Hoiberg prefers, rather than having Marc Boehm sitting in on practice or in the locker room after games.

Nebraska lets Hoiberg — who has been there and done it twice — do what he needs to do.

57 minutes ago, Red Don said:

Excellent 'farewell' article by Chris Heady !!!   :Mfclap::Mfclap::Mfclap:

(Some snippets)

Or this part:

The first time I talked with Miles after he was fired, he was driving back from North Dakota. He told me that, days after being fired, he went to see his parents.

“I told them, ‘Mom, Dad, do you know who the Patriots quarterback was before Tom Brady?’ ” Miles recalled to me. “That’s who I am.” And that’s the difference. Miles sees himself as Drew Bledsoe. Hoiberg — though bashful — Brady.

Some good nuggets from Steve Sipple’s article:

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-a-prediction-on-spielman-freds-new-players-to-watch-and-hot-take/article_7af7f3bc-4258-51ae-902a-170ba3f51589.html

Transitioning to hoops: Keep an eye on Lat Mayen.

That's the buzz I'm hearing as the Nebraska men's basketball team pushes through the early stages of its return to workouts. The 6-foot-9, 205-pound Mayen, a transfer from Chipola (Florida) College (by way of TCU), apparently has an effective jump shot and enough of an all-around game to crack Fred Hoiberg's starting lineup, if not become the team's best player this coming season. He'll have two seasons of eligibility at NU.

I'm also intrigued by what I'm hearing about Kobe Webster, a 6-foot transfer from Western Illinois, and Teddy Allen, a 6-5 transfer from Western Nebraska Community College. Webster shows up on WIU film as a tough competitor and he's evidently shooting the ball well here. Meanwhile, Allen's game isn't all that pretty, but he's living up to his reputation as an effective scorer. 

On 7/30/2020 at 12:25 PM, throwback said:

IMO, he hit this out of the park. nailed the buzzer beater