The Official Media Thread

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

It's not, but I guess I wouldn't expect much different from anybody going into the season. There's unknown quantities and then there's this.

It was about what i expected. I didn't retweet it because i didn't want to rile anyone up for no good reason.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/13/2019 at 4:38 PM, hhcmatt said:

It was about what i expected. I didn't retweet it because i didn't want to rile anyone up for no good reason.

This was on my to do list as part of an effort to finish getting caught up.

My opinion is that with the exception of MSU the BIG is wide open.

I listened through the entire podcast. It was awful/painful/brutal. A lot of laughing/giggling. Like listening to 2 guys in a bar. 

Unless you want to hear them talk about Golf skip to about the 6min mark.

BTW, didn't realize Bakari Evelyn was going to playing at Iowa as a Grad Transfer.

Nebraska starts at about the 1hr 1min mark.

Had them rated in the BIG as #13, just ahead of NWU. As @hhcmatt stated this is nothing to get riled about. It is about what you would expect. They looked at the Nebraska roster and all the turnover and said they are going to suck bad.

• 2 months later...

Media Day: (Washut tweets)

Hoiberg said the bill passed in California “progress” but added that there was still a lot of work to be done.

Hoiberg: I know we've been picked towards the bottom (of the Big Ten), and I understand that." Said rebounding will by far be NU's biggest challenge will be rebounding. "But I think we can get out and run with anybody."

Hoiberg: "When things are going well, we're pretty damn good." When adversity hits, however, he's still not sure how his team will respond.

Hoiberg: "After seeing some of these other players in the breakfast room, we're going to be undersized at about every position. So we're going to have to play fast."

Hard to get a read on Juwan Howard, one gets the impression that he was drunk or high in his press conference...

...but probably that's just an act.  Either way, he said pretty much the least of all the coaches so far.  Doesn't instill a whole lot of confidence.

Law of unintended consequences: What is the name/likeness/image of an athlete worth in a small market like Lincoln, Nebraska?  What is the name/likeness/image of that same athlete worth in a larger market like LA?  How might that affect recruiting?

How many different QBs in California can sell their sponsorship to a mattress company to put their face on a billboard? At some point, there's a market profusion. And every college QB who sells his affiliation with a car dealership in California is one less NFL guy who will have that opportunity.

In Nebraska, it only currently works for former Huskers. And for every current Husker who now would be able to accept money from Truck Companies for some sort of marketing deal, that's one less Kelsey brother who would have that opportunity going forward.

As I'm thinking through this, it occurs to me this is probably only going to benefit the superstars who are likely going to be cashing NFL/NBA paychecks in the future.

One possible benefit, though, is that if you want to sell your image, you better have a squeaky clean reputation in this state. So, "unspecified violations of team rules" would weigh a little heavier.

1 hour ago, 49r said:

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yeah...nice to hear, but Izzo is the master of coach-speak or coaching politics or whatever you wish to call it.  If you recall, Izzo said some very kind, or similar things regarding Miles as well.  In fact, I believe Coach Izzo also wrote the foreward for the Miles book.  Soooo.....

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

Yeah...nice to hear, but Izzo is the master of coach-speak or coaching politics or whatever you wish to call it.  If you recall, Izzo said some very kind, or similar things regarding Miles as well.  In fact, I believe Coach Izzo also wrote the foreward for the Miles book.  Soooo.....

There's coach speak and then there's coaches being themselves. Izzo doesn't write a forward for just anybody that asks. He and many in the coaching community sincerely held Miles in high regard. That obviously doesn't always equate to success.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good article in 1/9/20 Chicago Sun-Times.  (hitting refresh should eliminate a blank screen if it comes up while reading)

Ex-Bulls coach Fred Hoiberg went back to the future — to Nebraska — and feels right at home

If Hoiberg has his way, the Huskers will make a dramatic, long-lasting move up the Big Ten pecking order. And he’ll be right there, in the place of his birth, overseeing it all.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bulls/2020/1/9/21059158/fred-hoiberg-nebraska-bulls-coach