The Official Media Thread

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Thattimeofyear4 said:

Check out @RobinWashut's Tweet:

Finally got the grown man body watch out

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Nice transformation.  Amazing what hard work can accomplish, I repeat what I have said so often, this kid is going to be special.  If he continues with his self-improvement, we have an all-American on our hands.

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

Good read.  I do have a feeling this team will be much better than the media and average fan is giving them credit for.  The potential is there!!!

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, huskercwg said:

Very funny seeing Lee mention Tai Webster's switch to a vegan diet mid-season.

I had noticed Tai looking gassed later in games starting about the beginning of January.  It stood out to me.  I remember times he would walk up the floor when he wasn't handling the ball.  Thought that was very unusual for Tai.

Then, someone told me he'd switched to a vegan diet and it was like a lightbulb went off.  Well, no wonder he isn't showing the fire he had before.

Wonder if Tai's "father in law" had anything to say about that.

On 7/11/2017 at 11:51 AM, Norm Peterson said:

Very funny seeing Lee mention Tai Webster's switch to a vegan diet mid-season.

I had noticed Tai looking gassed later in games starting about the beginning of January.  It stood out to me.  I remember times he would walk up the floor when he wasn't handling the ball.  Thought that was very unusual for Tai.

Then, someone told me he'd switched to a vegan diet and it was like a lightbulb went off.  Well, no wonder he isn't showing the fire he had before.

Wonder if Tai's "father in law" had anything to say about that.

Most people that switch to a vegan diet note a huge increase in energy.  There's typically a small decrease in muscle strength and mass, however that's usually less of a concern to basketball players than other athletes.

More than likely, Tai was influenced by all of the other professional athletes that have implemented -- either temporarily or permanently -- a vegan diet, rather than by Steve Taylor.  Maybe by Taylor's daughter if she's vegan and they want to eat out and share a meal together?

Former players John Salley and Ben Gordon have long advocated for veganism, and advised current players on their diets.  I know that Glen "Big Baby" Davis is vegan and credits much of his body transformation to this.  Amar'e Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony have used a vegan diet to cut weight in the offseason.  Other famous vegan athletes (current and former) include Serena and Venus Williams, Ricky Williams, Tony Gonzalez, Prince Fielder, Carl Lewis, and Mike Tyson.

Tai was our best and hardest-working two-way player, and he saw his minutes increase by 7 MPG from his Junior to Senior year, most frequently logging 35-38 minutes save for a few outliers.  If he was eating a cocktail of jet fuel spiked with amphetamines he'd probably still get tired at that usage rate.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

I don't know that anyone truly *knows*. We have more information because we follow the team, but we still don't really know, at least I don't. Certainly not enough to make a rosy prediction. That's me, though.

I'll make a prediction: I don't think we lost as much as people fear we did and I think we gained more than most people realize.

Losses:

Webster

Jacobson

Morrow

Horne

Fuller

Gains:

Copeland

Palmer

Allen

Akenten

Okeke

Thorbjarnarson

The losses averaged less than 30% from 3; I'm going to guess the gains will be in the neighborhood of 35 to 37.5%.

Four of the five guys in the loss category viewed themselves as guards/wings.  Still couldn't hit over 30% from three.

Okeke won't take a 3 pointer; the other five gains can all hit them pretty reliably.

Neither Morrow nor Jacobson were likely to start this year.  I haven't had them in my starting lineup projection since long before they announced they were leaving.  Horne and Fuller both made good decisions to find better fits.  Fuller might not have seen the floor this year; Horne was either an undersized 4 or an underathletic 3 and will fit in much better at the level of a Tulsa.

Copeland has been penciled in as a starter ever since he transferred and Palmer is also a strong candidate to start.  Webster is the only guy on the list of losses who would have been a likely starter if he'd had another year and came back.  And even Tai had his shortcomings.  Some of his turnovers were just dizzying.  And his perimeter offense was a weakness.  He'd still probably be the best perimeter defender on the team, so I don't want to understate his value.  Yet, we pretty well sucked at perimeter defense last year so we probably couldn't be much worse than we are.

51 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'll make a prediction: I don't think we lost as much as people fear we did and I think we gained more than most people realize.

I don't disagree, Norm. I'm just not willing to jump out on the limb that says we'll make a huge jump this year. We might. I think we'll be a better team, I just don't know it yet.

40 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I don't disagree, Norm. I'm just not willing to jump out on the limb that says we'll make a huge jump this year. We might. I think we'll be a better team, I just don't know it yet.

I've never felt constrained by what I don't know.  ;)

I've always gone out on limbs with this basketball program based on what I know, what I think I know, what I can reasonably surmise, what I think I can potentially infer, what seems realistically plausible that I can sell with a straight face, what is within the realm of possibility guided by hopefulness ...