2014 PFIsaac Copeland ->GTown -> Nebraska

Gaskins and Stevens had Ron Bailey from HoyaReport.com (Georgetown Rivals site) on the show today at like 11:30

I think I heard him say that current Georgetown verbal commit Isaac Copeland is a Kenya Hunter recruit.
Maybe he can get him to flip???

Isaac Copeland:

4-Star, Rivals150, #35 overall player in the 2014 class

Power Forward
Wolfeboro, New Hampshire
Brewster Academy
AAU: Garner Road

6'9"

205 lbs

2014 (High School)

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Kid's back on the market as a mid-year transfer from G'town.

Not that we necessarily want him.  He's averaging like 5.4 ppg on a mediocre G'town team that's 1 game over .500 without playing the schedule we've played.

The only reason I could see to take a look would be if there is not another big out there.  Having him next year to back up Jordy at the 5 lets Morrow play the 4.

We're talking about a 6'9" PF with NBA athleticism who can hit a mid range jumper playing for a Georgetown group that hasn't exactly had a reputation for developing guys.

This guy put up some good numbers playing a lot of minutes as a Fresh/Soph and would be starting here.  

I don't think it's a no brainer because you're looking at putting in a bunch of time for a guy who could leave after redshirting a year and playing just one semester but he's going to be better than most anyone else we come across in the transfer market.

7 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

We're talking about a 6'9" PF with NBA athleticism who can hit a mid range jumper playing for a Georgetown group that hasn't exactly had a reputation for developing guys.

This guy put up some good numbers playing a lot of minutes as a Fresh/Soph and would be starting here.  

I don't think it's a no brainer because you're looking at putting in a bunch of time for a guy who could leave after redshirting a year and playing just one semester but he's going to be better than most anyone else we come across in the transfer market.

Good assessment. One difference from our previous transfers: They were coming into an unsettled roster and didn't cause disruptions. What happens when you bring in someone like this and take away playing time from Ed/MJ/Jordy and then he leaves? Copeland's a good player, shows up on NBA draft boards, could be a guy who gets us over the top. But he also could be detrimental to team chemistry. Staff will have to make the call, but I'd guess they'd take him.  

8 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

I guess one semester IF he is the missing piece of the puzzle is better than nothing.  Not like he'd be tying up a a scholarship for 4 years.

3 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Good assessment. One difference from our previous transfers: They were coming into an unsettled roster and didn't cause disruptions. What happens when you bring in someone like this and take away playing time from Ed/MJ/Jordy and then he leaves? Copeland's a good player, shows up on NBA draft boards, could be a guy who gets us over the top. But he also could be detrimental to team chemistry. Staff will have to make the call, but I'd guess they'd take him.  

Also what happens if you bring him in and he's only putting in the effort to be just as good as whomever he might take playing time from. 

A lot of variables here but if Kenya has any sort of reservations about the work ethic and/or parental interference issues I'd say we pass.

This is from a December 22 report by Jon Rothstein:

Georgetown Hoyas transfer Isaac Copeland will for apply for a medical redshirt for the 2016-17 season, multiple sources told FanRag Sports on Thursday.

. . . a source told FanRag Sports that [Copeland] will undergo back surgery in the next few days and miss the next two-to-three months before he can resume physical activity.

. . . 

A former five-star recruit out of high school, Copeland would have two years of eligibility remaining if he receives a medical redshirt from the NCAA for this past season.

A separate source told FanRag Sports that Copeland received his unconditional release from Georgetown on Thursday.

Edited by Swan88

26 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

This is from a December 22 report by Jon Rothstein:

Georgetown Hoyas transfer Isaac Copeland will for apply for a medical redshirt for the 2016-17 season, multiple sources told FanRag Sports on Thursday.

. . . a source told FanRag Sports that [Copeland] will undergo back surgery in the next few days and miss the next two-to-three months before he can resume physical activity.

. . . 

A former five-star recruit out of high school, Copeland would have two years of eligibility remaining if he receives a medical redshirt from the NCAA for this past season.

A separate source told FanRag Sports that Copeland received his unconditional release from Georgetown on Thursday.

hmmmm that is interesting.