Arena's pedestrian bridge will be iconic L-I-N-C-O-L-N

An Article in the Lincoln Journal Star by Nancy Hicks "Arena's pedestrian bridge will be iconic L-I-N-C-O-L-N". It talks about the pedestrian bridge that will be part of the Pinnacle Bank Arena / West Haymarket Development projects.

Some Excerpts from the article (which is linked below):

The 611-foot pedestrian bridge that will link parking areas near the Haymarket Park baseball stadium to Pinnacle Bank Arena will be an iconic image for Lincoln, with the city’s name visible inside and out, Mayor Chris Beutler said as he unveiled the bridge design Thursday.

The letters L-I-N-C-O-L-N will be visible from above and on each side of the pedestrian bridge. The letters will be illuminated by the sun during the day and by lights at night.

Pedestrians crossing the bridge -- the length of two football fields -- will be able to stop at each of the seven 15- to 18-foot-high letters to read stories about the "rich history that defines our city,” Beutler said.

"When you look at this design more closely, it is truly a piece of art," he said.

A map of the area shows the pedestrian bridge leading to the arena from a proposed "festival space" that includes the proposed Breslow Ice Center.

The current pedestrian bridge across the railroad yard, linking the baseball stadium to the Haymarket retail district, will remain.

The exterior of the new bridge is a big bold statement and the interior is indicative of what is happening on the outside, but in a more subtle way, said Stephen Hopkins of Dimensional Innovations, the Overland Park, Kan.-company paid $90,000 to design it.

http://journalstar.com/special-section/arena/arena-s-pedestrian-bridge-will-be-iconic-l-i-n/article_d8369591-6ce9-5a33-8e2d-e9c464aee764.html

Pedestrians crossing the bridge -- the length of two football fields -- will be able to stop at each of the seven 15- to 18-foot-high letters to read stories about the "rich history that defines our city,” Beutler said.

Ooooh boy. Who's going to choose what stories "define our city"? That's maybe not something I want Beutler in charge of deciding. :wacko: