2014 center Jacob Hammond

his highlight video, if you can call it that, on his Rivals profile might go down as one of the worst ones I've watched thats actually linked on Rivals.

Oh. My. God. Is that serious? About 12 missed forced fadeaways and one play where he brings the ball down and gets stripped. Looks like that was a UCLA analyst that put together the video. Have to wonder if that was just the one game they watched of his or what. I didn't see a whole lot of flashes of anything in that video. I guess we can assume he's improved and improved a lot for our coaches to offer him.

Doesn't appear to have crazy ups.  Wish he did.  Not overly athletic but appears to have pretty soft hands and has a couple of ingrained post moves.   Hate the videos that just have really tiny snippets of video mashed together.  Would like to see longer clips to get a better feel for what was happening in the game just before he got the pass, etc.

I'm sure this will go over well, but he looks to me a lot like JBD with a bigger frame...

Seems to do a lot of things well, not flashy.  If he can come in, maybe redshirt a year and get stronger, could be a solid player, probably not an all-conference guy, but a solid player who improves every year.  That's what I see.

Doesn't appear to have crazy ups.  Wish he did.  Not overly athletic but appears to have pretty soft hands and has a couple of ingrained post moves.   Hate the videos that just have really tiny snippets of video mashed together.  Would like to see longer clips to get a better feel for what was happening in the game just before he got the pass, etc.

from watching the vid you posted, im more in favor of them than i was before, but im still in wait and see mode...at this point if were recruiting a 6'10'' kid at 240 id prefer him to be athletic, but i like the comparison to JBD but i feel like given are current roster a center more like Maric is what we need, or a skilled big man that can pass from the high post..i like this kid...just not as a Plan A or B recruit.

from watching the vid you posted, im more in favor of them than i was before, but im still in wait and see mode...at this point if were recruiting a 6'10'' kid at 240 id prefer him to be athletic, but i like the comparison to JBD but i feel like given are current roster a center more like Maric is what we need, or a skilled big man that can pass from the high post..i like this kid...just not as a Plan A or B recruit.

I think he can bulk up to a point where he's probably similar in size to Maric.  I think he finishes at the rim better than Maric.  JBD largely did that well.  I think he's plays with more aggression than JBD did.  I think he ends up somewhere in between what those two were.

Jacob played for Sunrise Christian Academy last year so saw him play numerous times. His playing time was somewhat limited because of how deep the Sunrise roster was. He would be adequate but not a game changer. He does have soft hands and jumps better than Diaz. It is hard to judge his scoring ability in that he had so many other team mates that were better scorers. He is a pretty good passer though and rebounds quite well. I do believe a few more pounds would help him. I could see him doing some of the things we would want a post to do although I do not see him as a big scorer. I will try to keep you all informed next year. I know he was being watched by Oklahoma. The Oklahoma coaches were in attendance several times. On an average team Jacob would have probably gotten more playing time but Sunrise was one of the better Academy teams in the nation only losing once to a Dallas Texas team on the road before beating them at home.

The main criticism that I would have would be that he needs to gain more strength and explosion in his legs, so that those drop step layups turn into drop step dunks.  When he gets to college where the post players are all just as tall as him, those layups are going to get sent to the first row on a consistent basis.

I think he can bulk up to a point where he's probably similar in size to Maric.  I think he finishes at the rim better than Maric.  JBD largely did that well.  I think he's plays with more aggression than JBD did.  I think he ends up somewhere in between what those two were.

if he can end up like that, id take him

would you rather have a kid like this who isn't overly athletic but shows solid fundamentals, or would you rather have Atewe who has the athleticism but lacks basketball skills?

at this point with the roster we have, id take the athleticism...we really need a rim protector and athlete to protect, pritch, and shields.

if he can end up like that, id take him

I don't know that he has the game of either of those two, but I see a lot of similarities to JBD with a bigger frame.

Well, I've seen him dunk in his videos, so that puts him on a higher "aggressiveness" scale than JBD right there.  He might not have the shooting touch of JBD but he appears to have better touch than Maric and more nads than JBD.  I'd say the comparison of him being somewhere between those two is pretty salient.  But both of those two could score in their own way and someone upthread said this kid really doesn't contribute a lot of points.  That would be one major difference. 

Well, I've seen him dunk in his videos, so that puts him on a higher "aggressiveness" scale than JBD right there.  He might not have the shooting touch of JBD but he appears to have better touch than Maric and more nads than JBD.  I'd say the comparison of him being somewhere between those two is pretty salient.  But both of those two could score in their own way and someone upthread said this kid really doesn't contribute a lot of points.  That would be one major difference. 

if this kid could really grow another inch or two and add some more muscle....id probly switch some of my opinion on him,granted its already raised slightly given that oklahoma is going after him meaning the homestate school wants him, and one of the video's didnt look bad...but i still dont know....are we sure Sai dosnt wanna come here...did we call him a few times...maybe make him a mixtape?

The thing that I like about this kid is that if you notice everytime he gets the ball in the post (the video Norm posted) he keeps the ball high.  He plays bigger than 6'10 when he does that.  Definitely has soft hands and good touch around the rim in that video.  Plus its a 2012 video meaning he was a jsophomore then so still plenty of room to grow.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...