FGC : Take it to the Bank!

I think this is an awesome game for Nebrasketball to open PBA with! They are a HOT team right now, so there will be some buzz around that team and the Nebraska bball team would be jacked to play them and the students will be fired up. Plus, playing FGCU would make for a game that is about as exciting as it gets. They are the flavor of the week, so they will draw attention outside of Nebraska, because of all of the "Dunk City" hype during the NCAA tourney. Could maybe be an ESPN game.

They also finished #2 in their conference last season going 26-11 (13-5) and have a legit chance to win their conference next season. That will help Nebraska's RPI alot. Miles understands the RPI system very well and will work the schedule to help them get to the tournament. I think Nebraska was the only team with a losing recrod this last season that had an RPI in the top 100. Also, it should be a winnable game for Nebraska and I think that it is important to open up the new arena with a winnable game.

Plus, I think that make like 5 teams that made the sweet 16 last season that will be coming to PBA next season.  Can't really complain about that...

What did we say about FGC when we played them here a couple of seasons ago?

We didn't say very nice things, that's for sure.

This is stupid and I don't understand how I'm supposed to be excited about this. This game would be a complete joke had FGCU not won some games this year in the tournament. Nobody would know who they are (just like nobody knew who they were 2 years ago when they came here) had they not won those NCAA tournament games. Quite frankly, a lot of our newer season ticket holders who may just be casual basketball fans and may not have watched every game of the NCAA tournament, will probably need an explanation as to who this FGCU team is.

Plus Doc was able to pull the W against them two years ago, and nobody said nice things, so Miles better come away with a win.

This is stupid and I don't understand how I'm supposed to be excited about this. This game would be a complete joke had FGCU not won some games this year in the tournament. Nobody would know who they are (just like nobody knew who they were 2 years ago when they came here) had they not won those NCAA tournament games. Quite frankly, a lot of our newer season ticket holders who may just be casual basketball fans and may not have watched every game of the NCAA tournament, will probably need an explanation as to who this FGCU team is.

Plus Doc was able to pull the W against them two years ago, and nobody said nice things, so Miles better come away with a win.

Dude, you didn't have to watch every game of the NCAA tourney to know who FGCU is.  Dunk City was viral and they were everywhere.  After this last NCAA tourney, there are probably more casual fans that don't know who Nebrasketball is than there are fans that don't know who FGCU is. 

It's up to you whether or not you like the game, but it's crazy to say that people won't know who they are. 

"This game would be a complete joke had FGCU not won some games this year in the tournament."

...but they did...and they made it to the Sweet 16...

Dude, you didn't have to watch every game of the NCAA tourney to know who FGCU is. Dunk City was viral and they were everywhere. After this last NCAA tourney, there are probably more casual fans that don't know who Nebrasketball is than there are fans that don't know who FGCU is.

It's up to you whether or not you like the game, but it's crazy to say that people won't know who they are.

"This game would be a complete joke had FGCU not won some games this year in the tournament."

True statements. I just am not that thrilled and can't say things similar to a lot of the tweets coming through about it.

Dude, you didn't have to watch every game of the NCAA tourney to know who FGCU is.  Dunk City was viral and they were everywhere.  After this last NCAA tourney, there are probably more casual fans that don't know who Nebrasketball is than there are fans that don't know who FGCU is. 

FGCU blew up last year, they aired a pep rally live on ESPN, ESPN also couldn't go 5 minutes without talking about them. I'm not saying it was the best move we could make but still there will be some hype around this game. Not to mention they are returning 4 out of the 5 starters from a team that made the sweet 16.

Dude, you didn't have to watch every game of the NCAA tourney to know who FGCU is. Dunk City was viral and they were everywhere. After this last NCAA tourney, there are probably more casual fans that don't know who Nebrasketball is than there are fans that don't know who FGCU is.

FGCU blew up last year, they aired a pep rally live on ESPN, ESPN also couldn't go 5 minutes without talking about them. I'm not saying it was the best move we could make but still there will be some hype around this game. Not to mention they are returning 4 out of the 5 starters from a team that made the sweet 16.

Maybe went overboard with some of my comments. Just my initial reaction to not being as thrilled as others and how some are making this matchup sound. I guess I just expected too much and came away disappointed. I mean, we just played them. I realize what they did last year was special but for me this feels the same as when we would play Arkansas-Pine Bluff twice within three years or some of our other frequent non-conf opponents. David Lipscomb, IUPUI, Denver, Houston Baptist...

1) The players will be jacked up to play "Dunk City", especially guys like Pitchford and Petteway who have been talking about taking guys that try to guard them to the rim and dunking on them.

2) The students will be super jacked for that game and will come out in full force, which will make for an amazing atmosphere.  PBA will be flat out juiced for this game.

3) I wouldn't be surprised if the game is picked up by ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU, which will be a great platform for Nebraska basketball to display the new team, new arena, and electric atmosphere.

Maybe went overboard with some of my comments. Just my initial reaction to not being as thrilled as others and how some are making this matchup sound. I guess I just expected too much and came away disappointed. I mean, we just played them. I realize what they did last year was special but for me this feels the same as when we would play Arkansas-Pine Bluff twice within three years or some of our other frequent non-conf opponents. David Lipscomb, IUPUI, Denver, Houston Baptist...

Yeah, I can understand that.  They aren't a traditional power so I get that.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised how pumped you will be by the time the game rolls around.  There's a good chance that Nebraska won't be favored in the game.  FGCU made it to the Sweet 16 and finished the season ranked like 25.  They return 4 of 5 starters, so there's a good chance that they will be ranked for the game.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised if you give it a chance.

some of our other frequent non-conf opponents. David Lipscomb, IUPUI, Denver, Houston Baptist...

You know we haven't played any of those teams in at least 10 years, right?

Yes I realize we haven't played all of those teams super recently, although its been more recent than 10 years for sure. I've been to every home game since 1983 so those were just a few old regulars that came to mind.