So when is the last possible day to add a big for 2013?

you can add a transfer anytime before the start of the next school year.

Yes. At this point it seems like graduate transfer or bust. Either scenario would give us 2 scholarships to use for 2014. Unless a stud, program changing transfer came about who had to sit next season. Chances we add one of those are slim to none.

Well, Pitch and Pett had to sit a year and Vooch played like 5 minutes all season long, but I get what you're saying.  Diaz was a kid we brought in in August and he would have played that year if he'd checked a different box on his application for admission to the university.  Sek was brought in late.  JR Strowbridge was also.  But, historically, late adds haven't produced.  James Reynolds, anyone?

This year's spring recruiting was beyond disappointing.

Better find a stud recruiter with that last staff opening.  Our best Midwest recruiters have left town already.

Still not sure what's so hard about recruiting to Lincoln.  Its not like places like Manhattan, KS; Milwakee, WI (anywhere in the Big10); Alberquerque, NM; are that much nicer than Lincoln.

It shouldn't be that hard to get decent players here.  Tired of the excuses.  I love Miles, but lets start closing in year 2 now that we have all the shiny new toys.  Fill that open spot with a dude with connections.  Get them to visit Lincoln & I like our chances at signing.

Better find a stud recruiter with that last staff opening.  Our best Midwest recruiters have left town already.

Still not sure what's so hard about recruiting to Lincoln.  Its not like places like Manhattan, KS; Milwakee, WI (anywhere in the Big10); Alberquerque, NM; are that much nicer than Lincoln.

It shouldn't be that hard to get decent players here.  Tired of the excuses.  I love Miles, but lets start closing in year 2 now that we have all the shiny new toys.  Fill that open spot with a dude with connections.  Get them to visit Lincoln & I like our chances at signing.

college basketball recruiting is usually a year to two years ahead of a sport like football in terms of recruiting and relationships.  Give the guy some time before saying he is basically failing to recruit well.

You're joking right?

The last day to add a new player is a week or so after school starts--it's an internal University rule on what the last day might be for someone to sign up for the academic semester.  Mike Peltz took advantage of that rule last year.  As I seem to recall, he joined the team last year after the fall semester had already started.

You're joking right?

No I'm not joking.  The spring period we ended up with plan "D" as far as a "big" man goes.  We really didn't improve ourselves much in a position of glaring need, with immediate playing time there for the taking. 

I love what the staff is doing identifying targets but lets see what happens next year in recruiting.  Will it be the same old same old or is Nebraska basketball show it can land a difference maker instead of just filling the roster.  Miles appears to have the goods, but I'm pretty disappointed we couldn't get a big guy with the immediate playing time available & the enthusiasm around the program right now.

Very disappointed the 2 guys with extensive recruiting ties in the Midwest left without being in Lincoln for 12 months.  Love coach Smith, Love coach Harriman, need to fill that last spot with an upgrade recruiting wise from Johnson (who was hopefully going to pay dividends in year 2 or 3 with all his ties in Minnesota).  Need a guy who can give us an "in" with the best in the Midwest if we want to get into the top half & potentially get into the top quarter of the conference.

I've heard that coach miles is done with all his interviews and should be selecting a candidate relatively soon? Just what I heard, but things could change. I heard it from someone that is involved with the program. But that still doesn't mean that it will happen within the 10 days.

You're joking right?

No I'm not joking.  The spring period we ended up with plan "D" as far as a "big" man goes.  We really didn't improve ourselves much in a position of glaring need, with immediate playing time there for the taking. 

I love what the staff is doing identifying targets but lets see what happens next year in recruiting.  Will it be the same old same old or is Nebraska basketball show it can land a difference maker instead of just filling the roster.  Miles appears to have the goods, but I'm pretty disappointed we couldn't get a big guy with the immediate playing time available & the enthusiasm around the program right now.

Very disappointed the 2 guys with extensive recruiting ties in the Midwest left without being in Lincoln for 12 months.  Love coach Smith, Love coach Harriman, need to fill that last spot with an upgrade recruiting wise from Johnson (who was hopefully going to pay dividends in year 2 or 3 with all his ties in Minnesota).  Need a guy who can give us an "in" with the best in the Midwest if we want to get into the top half & potentially get into the top quarter of the conference.

Dude, a big man is literally the only thing Miles didn't get in the 2013 class.  Fuller and Webster have a legit shot to be starting before the season is over next year.  Fuller was also just listed (by a national analyst) as one of the top 5 players that will surprise peope next season.  I would say that's a pretty successful recruiting class for a coach to put together in a few months, especially at Nebraska.  Before you start blaming Miles, realize that any recruiting issues right now are because of Nebraska and the program's lack of tradition and lack of post season success on the court, not because of Miles. 

This is the best recruiting class Nebraska has had in over a decade.  That's a pretty good first step.  Trust me, I want this to happen just as quickly as anyone.  I want Nebraska's program successfully turned-around yesterday.  But that's not how it works.  It's unrealistic to expect Miles to have built quality recruiting relationships that yield multiple consensus top150 players before the 2014 or 2015 classes.  Let's just pump the brakes for a second Chicken Little...

You're joking right?

Miles has just as many recruiting ties to Minnesota.

I do agree, though, that these next two hires need to have some serious recruiting connections.  Miles isn't dumb.  He gets that.  I think that is probably why he didn't go out and fill the position right away.  He knows it's important, so he wants to take his time and make sure he gets the right guy.  Maybe a guy that will stick around for a few seasons, so he doesn't have to fill those spots again in a year.

I've heard that coach miles is done with all his interviews and should be selecting a candidate relatively soon? Just what I heard, but things could change. I heard it from someone that is involved with the program. But that still doesn't mean that it will happen within the 10 days.

Miles has several options and is just taking his time now. He has them broken into groups. There are some candidates that are safe, veteran picks. There's another group of young up and coming assistants. There's a third group that he's labeled as high risk but high reward. Coach has lots of good options but is taking his time deciding which route is best to take.

Miles has several options and is just taking his time now. He has them broken into groups. There are some candidates that are safe, veteran picks. There's another group of young up and coming assistants. There's a third group that he's labeled as high risk but high reward. Coach has lots of good options but is taking his time deciding which route is best to take.
Oh, I trust miles, just saying what I was told from someone close to the program. I am kind I surprised that it hasn't been announced yet.

Not saying the sky is falling, just cautiously optimistic.  I was as geeked as anyone about the additions in the 1st 6 months of Miles' tenure.  Was expecting us to fill a huge void on the roster in the spring.  We ended up with plan "D" at PF in Smith.  Maybe he'll be ok but not what any of us expected with a guaranteed starting spot in a major conference, new arena & ticket sales going thru the roof.  Couple that with another asst leaving & I went from "geeked" to tempered optimism.  Been burned too many times by Nebraska basketball.  Feel like the program is cursed. 

If anyone is going to get this done, its going to be Miles.  But we need the bodies.  I like Miles' plan.  But we need rebounders & an inside presence.  Don't know where that's going to come from with the current roster.  Feel like we left a need for next year incomplete.  But would rather hold the scholarship for next season than just give it to anyone.

Not saying the sky is falling, just cautiously optimistic.  I was as geeked as anyone about the additions in the 1st 6 months of Miles' tenure.  Was expecting us to fill a huge void on the roster in the spring.  We ended up with plan "D" at PF in Smith.  Maybe he'll be ok but not what any of us expected with a guaranteed starting spot in a major conference, new arena & ticket sales going thru the roof.  Couple that with another asst leaving & I went from "geeked" to tempered optimism.  Been burned too many times by Nebraska basketball.  Feel like the program is cursed. 

If anyone is going to get this done, its going to be Miles.  But we need the bodies.  I like Miles' plan.  But we need rebounders & an inside presence.  Don't know where that's going to come from with the current roster.  Feel like we left a need for next year incomplete.  But would rather hold the scholarship for next season than just give it to anyone.

I mean what else do you want Miles to do... we tried... just could not get anyone to sign.  I am ok with that as long as Miles can take what we DO have and make something of it ... like I think he did this year.  We are not KU or Duke... we can not just offer a kid and know we will be right at the top of the list. 

I want to see us bring in another aau guy to fill one of our staff positions. In only a couple months chin was able to bring in the top aau team in Chicago and eric gordon's indiana aau team.

I thought it was Harriman that had the Indianapolis/Eric Gordon all stars connection.

I want to see us bring in another aau guy to fill one of our staff positions. In only a couple months chin was able to bring in the top aau team in Chicago and eric gordon's indiana aau team.

The Eric Gordon AAU team was Harriman.

apparently I was beat by ajb after leaving and coming back to post this. damn NBA game has my attention...lol

Unmoved by Miles recruiting, but will not take the gloves off on him.  Next season I expect higher quality recruiting.

On the other hand I am disapppointed in his ability to recruit and keep ast coaches.  Everyone though Chin was going to be the man when it came to recruiting, then he landed an on-campus position but couldn't  stick around for the first practice before he leaves for a mid-major ast job.  Then Johnson leaves for Minny after he supposelduy made some sort of a three-year pledge.

Some march out the closer-to-home or alma-mater argument.  But it doesn't hold water.  As someone pointed out earlier during the spring recruiting process, every player has a home town.  Its not an acceptable excuse for not signning a player.  The same applies to ast coaches and alma maters.

If Miles can't seal the deal on coaches it isn't reasonable to expect him to seal the deal with recruits.