NCAA panel recommends 10 second rule

Row6Seat10

Those less familiar with women's college basketball would at times reveal themselves at games by calling out, "Ten seconds!"

The backcourt violation (either eight or 10 seconds) is used in the NBA, WNBA, FIBA, men's college, and high school boys' and girls' basketball. Pretty much everywhere, that is, with one big exception: the women's college game. That may be about to change.

Thursday, the NCAA basketball rules committees for men and women released their recommendations after their annual meetings in Indianapolis. The most notable on the women's side is adding the 10-second backcourt rule.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9259849/ncaa-women-basketball-panel-looks-add-10-second-backcourt-rule

The 10-second rule, along with the other recommendations by the rules committee, still must be approved by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel. That group will have a conference call on June 18. Pending the panel's approval then, the rules go into effect for the upcoming 2013-14 season.

• 3 weeks later...

I for one like this rule, That way Yori can't hold the ball for 20 seconds in the back court. If they do go the way of the 10 second rule do they get the extra 5 seconds that the men get ?

Yeah, will they adjust the shot clock upwards, then? 

Not sure this will change the women's game to any significant degree.  With a 30 second shot clock, it's not like you can camp out in the back court for very long, anyway.  I think the shot clock is a more significant factor in dictating style of play than the 10 second rule.  And I suspect the shorter shot clock has something to do with why Coach Yori seems to place a recruiting premium on players who can score from outside or with dribble-penetration than on players who score with their backs to the basket.

Half-court offenses that rely on making a post-entry to a back-to-the-basket center need time to reverse the basketball to get a good post-entry look and let the post get good position.  And that takes time.  And the men's clock allows offenses about 15% more time to try to set things up in the half court before having to go with the last available option before the buzzer.

I think changing the shot clock would have a much greater impact on the women's game than adding a 10 second rule.