Chin's Replacement

I was thinking the same thing, it'd be huge for recruiting, and with Brown committing to SMU its pretty obvious our tie to Chicago is cut.

that or the fact that Sterling no longer had a committable offer. He is a shooting guard where we already had our smalls for this class. Brown also had a very lackluster summer season and his stock dropped.

Isn't there a rule against AAU coaches being hired and bringing players along with them?

Maybe that was just a dream that I heard that in.

No rule against it but there would definitely be some digging done if that were the case to see if everything was on the up and up. High School coaches are brought on all the time as a grad asst or in some sort of capacity and bring a kid they coached along the way.

Yeah, schools bring in AAU coaches all the time for their recruiting ties. Doug Martin at Villanova...13 coaches from the DC Assault program have become assistant coaches. One of those coaches is Dalonte Hill, who was hired at Kansas State because Bob Huggins knew Michael Beasley would come along with him and is now an assistant at Maryland. David Cox is responsible for three starters at Rutgers. Martin is the fourth Takeover guy to get a Division I coaching job. Kenny Johnson’s hiring at Indiana helped Tom Crean land a commitment from Stanford Robinson.

Ben Howland hired Korey McCray of the Atlanta Celtics last June and has two Atlanta natives in this year’s recruiting class, Tony Parker and Jordan Adams.

That's why I was thinking that the NCAA had come up with a ruling for AAU coaches and being hired and bringing players with them.

Dalonte Hill was the reason for the new rule, but guess that was just me having a senoir moment.

The most significant rule in the package the NCAA announced yesterday will prohibit college coaches from hiring someone onto his staff in order to get a player.

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hoop_thoughts/posts/84201-ncaa-makes-significant-effort-to-clean-up-recruiting

You got it right, Silverbacked1.

guess you were right SB, as I knew you could as early as this last season but didnt know about the new one. The fine line thinking though is what if you hire a guy and he coached a player that was say a sophomore in AAU and went to college. When hes a senior can he not recruit him because he coached him a few years earlier?

Since practice has started and the season is right around the corner, replacing Chin is likely a low priority. I agree with a previous poster who indicated that this will wait until the season is over. The only reason that this would change is if the individual is currently standing in the wings. I guess time will tell.

A guy like Mike Irvin of Mac Irvin Fire could have recruiting ties to the Chicago area that reach far beyond the players that he actually coached himself. His father, Mac Irvin, is known as the Godfather.

Excerpts from an article in the Chicago Sun-Times (Full article linked below):

Irvin is 74 years old, a former Tilden basketball player and Xerox executive. He started working in South Side basketball programs in the early 1970’s and eventually built his club basketball program, the Mac Irvin Fire, into the most dominant in the city.

“I’m not sure when they started calling him The Godfather,” said Sonny Parker, a former NBA player who played for and coached with Irvin. “It’s been at least 20 years now.”

Wherever it started, the nickname stuck because it fit. Irvin’s influence on the Chicago basketball scene over the past 30 years is unrivaled. He’s mentored two generations of Chicago basketball players, literally inventing summer basketball and as a result, often serving as the gatekeeper to the richest talent pool in the country.

Irvin has handed the program over to his son Mike, and it’s experiencing a massive resurgence. Nearly every high-major talent in the city is in the program, from Jabari Parker to Tommy Hamilton Jr. (his father played for Irvin as well).

http://highschoolspo...rvins-town.html

A guy like Mike Irvin of Mac Irvin Fire could have recruiting ties to the Chicago area that reach far beyond the players that he actually coached himself. His father, Mac Irvin, is known as the Godfather.

Excerpts from an article in the Chicago Sun-Times (Full article linked below):

Irvin is 74 years old, a former Tilden basketball player and Xerox executive. He started working in South Side basketball programs in the early 1970’s and eventually built his club basketball program, the Mac Irvin Fire, into the most dominant in the city.

“I’m not sure when they started calling him The Godfather,” said Sonny Parker, a former NBA player who played for and coached with Irvin. “It’s been at least 20 years now.”

Wherever it started, the nickname stuck because it fit. Irvin’s influence on the Chicago basketball scene over the past 30 years is unrivaled. He’s mentored two generations of Chicago basketball players, literally inventing summer basketball and as a result, often serving as the gatekeeper to the richest talent pool in the country.

http://highschoolspo...rvins-town.html

Mike Irvin is just a figure head. He is a club promoter in Chicago for his main job as well as the "CEO" of the Mac Irvin Fire. He doesnt even travel to all their tournaments they play in. Coach Walt runs more of the day to day and has more true ties to the players and coaches of the area.

Mike Irvin is just a figure head. He is a club promoter in Chicago for his main job as well as the "CEO" of the Mac Irvin Fire. He doesnt even travel to all their tournaments they play in. Coach Walt runs more of the day to day and has more true ties to the players and coaches of the area.

Ok, if that's the case, then go after Coach Walt...

AAU teams and coaches are a cancer to High School athletics. They are becoming more important than H.S. sports and that's not a good thing.

Normally I'd agree with this, but the reality is that in a lot of places, high schools are barely functional and the AAU system literally replaces a neglected high school system. It all depends on where you're at. In Chicago, the AAU is probably a net positive all things considered. That said, I might agree with you when discussin places like, say, S. Sioux City.

I like the idea of going after Mike Irvin. If you look at what K-State did by bringing in an AAU coach and the players they got (Beasley, Walker, etc,). I think that by bringing in an AAU coach, which Coleman was in the past, could really help us recruiting and could lead to us landing some of the 2014 Mac Irvin players.

I like the idea of going after Mike Irvin. If you look at what K-State did by bringing in an AAU coach and the players they got (Beasley, Walker, etc,). I think that by bringing in an AAU coach, which Coleman was in the past, could really help us recruiting and could lead to us landing some of the 2014 Mac Irvin players.

Except that KState paid Hill over $500,000 a year which made him the highest paid assistant in the nation. Don't think Nebraska has that kind of money to offer a basketball assistant.

I had the impression we were not necessarily concerned with replacing him right away. As far as I know this was a new position basically created so that Chin could be a part of the staff without having him as an assistant coach. I could be wrong, but I don't think there is an urgent need for someone to be filling this role.

That said, if we can get someone with big recruiting ties to take a position like this, I say we go for it. I just think a lot of the guys we are talking about would be more interested in an assistant coach role, even if it is at a smaller school. Chin certainly was.