Preseason top 25

Bugeaters1

9. Nebraska: The Cornhuskers will feel the loss of point guard and WNBA first-round pick Lindsey Moore, but Rachel Theriot looks more than capable as the heir apparent. Jordan Hooper and Emily Cady form a frontcourt scoring duo unmatched in the Big Ten.

I like it but I can't remember ever that the Huskers were pre-season top ten in any kind of poll of womans basketball. I agree with his thoughts on Rachel.

Yikes, I think that's a pretty huge underestimation of how important Lindsey was to this team. I can't imagine us being better without her than we were with her on the court...

But if Sample, Theriot, Jeffrey, and Laudermill all improve and Havers contributes, we could contend for the Big Ten. Personally, I think Purdue has the upperhand since they return TWO starting senior point guards and a beast of a post player...

Yikes, I think that's a pretty huge underestimation of how important Lindsey was to this team. I can't imagine us being better without her than we were with her on the court...

But if Sample, Theriot, Jeffrey, and Laudermill all improve and Havers contributes, we could contend for the Big Ten. Personally, I think Purdue has the upperhand since they return TWO starting senior point guards and a beast of a post player...

And we have no true post player. 

I would add Hooper to the list of those from whom offseason improvement would be a big help.  If she could add the dribble drive to her game it would be huge--ala Griffin her senior year.  I think she will.  She wasn't healthy for much of the offseason last year.  She's pretty determined, and she has to know this part of her game will make it much harder to defend her.   

The god news is that Jordan and Emily will get to work this summer.  They were both limited last summer by injuries.  As a result Emily had a slow start and Jordan was a bit inconsistent.  They will both improve this summer and fall.  More good news Rachel should be healthy and she was clearly limping in the toward the end of the season.  

The bad news is this, currently no one on the team is capable of matching Lindsey's consistency or mental toughness. Hopefully someone will step up big time in both areas.

X-factor and this could make all  the difference. T'erra and Brandy, how good is a healthy Brandy?  If she learns a bit T'erra is a mismatch off the bounce as soon as she walks in the arena. For the record I'm with HB.

I picked it 1) Purdue 2) NU 3) MSU 4) PSU, which tells me I have Nebraska in the 10 to 15 range for rankings.  I do like the ranking in terms of potentially helping recruiting.

Purdue does lose thier top two rebounders. They will have to find some bodies that can rebound.Also what does everyone think of Illinios's chances at an upper division finish ?

We actually wound up doing fairly well this year with no true post player. Although there were a few games where it was obvious that had we had one the outcome may have been different. If the Havers girl can come in and contribute say 20 minutes and have a consistent positive stat line it can't do anything but help us. If they can get Hallie Sample to improve her shooting during the off season enough to make opponents guard her on defense it'll make it all that much harder for opponents to double team Hooper. It wouldn't hurt Emily and Laudermill to improve their shooting also. Injuries are the key though, if they can keep everyone healthy in the off season it'll help ten fold come November. 

One big key last year was the coaching staff willing to scrap the man to man defense and install that two-three zone defense. We got so good at running that zone defense and shutting opponents down that they seldom got to the free throw line. It was fun to watch as they became able to switch from a man to a zone defense on a moments notice as games merited. Had we had the capability to do this in 2010 we may have been a final four team. As we got healthy our offense got better. Our passing on offense toward the end of the season was the best that I can remember it ever being. Granted Zeroes had a lot to do with that but Theriot could become that same kind of player if she puts her mind to it. 

I think the league could actually be stronger next year with NU, Michigan St, PSU and Wisconsin at the top. Purdue could wind up struggling on the inside some and really could be in a bind if they don't clean up their turnovers. If I remember right they had quite a few games with 30+ turnovers. Illinois lost too much experience off last years squad and are going to completely revamp their offense. OSU, Michigan and Indiana are all in rebuilding phase. I'd love to go 3-0 against Iowa again next season.

I think a Top Ten rating is a little optimistic.  Lindsey Moore did a lot for the team, like playing 40 minutes a game but Theriot did get plenty of experience playing the point this season.  Someone has to step up the scoring for Moore's absence and just her overall court presence.  NU should contend for the B1G championship next season.