Alex Illikainen - PF - 2015 prospect -> Wisconsin

uneblinstu

It does bode well that our staff has identified these potential studs and has gotten in on the early. It shows they have an eye for talent. Now if we could land some of these studs...

I'm not sure it took a lot of acumen to spot this kid.  He had offers from a whole bunch of schools before ever starting HS.  He was hardly an under the radar kid.

True. I mean when Greg McDermott offers you this early it must be a no-brainer (since he didn't think his son was even good enough for Iowa State).

It does bode well that our staff has identified these potential studs and has gotten in on the early. It shows they have an eye for talent. Now if we could land some of these studs...

I'm not sure it took a lot of acumen to spot this kid.  He had offers from a whole bunch of schools before ever starting HS.  He was hardly an under the radar kid.

Easy for you to say, what with Creighton landing 5-star recruits left and right.  But this is new territory for us, actually getting listed with some quality players.

(Uneblinstu, there is sarcasm in this post.  Just FYI. ;) )

Oh, phew.  I was about to go all Oscar the Grouch on you for that one.  :D

Easy for you to say, what with Creighton landing 5-star recruits left and right.  But this is new territory for us, actually getting listed with some quality players.

(Uneblinstu, there is sarcasm in this post.  Just FYI. ;) )

The parentheses is the reason for the +1....I love 2 laugh!...but not much into emoticons!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow.  Indiana offered and he's still going to visit us.  That's saying something.

It goes back to a comment I made about Elbert in my really long post the other day:  Elbert wasn't a failure; he's proof that we're as close as we've ever been.

And getting a visit from a guy with an Indiana offer is just more proof, baby.

I'll repost the article after his unofficial visit here back in June of 2012.

http://nebraska.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1377835

Miles' offer was Illikainen's first high major offer right after Miles was hired, and came in a year and some months ahead of Crean's offer. At the time of his unofficial he had some extremely nice things to say about Nebraska and this was obviously before the arena was built. Ben Johnson had been responsible for bringing Alex into the fold, so when he left everyone had assumed that ship had sailed. This is a recruit we can make major headway with in the coming year. Have a nice season, get some positives flowing, show people what we are about and how we are going to compete in the B1G. Then bring him back for an official. This kid sounds like a B1G player through and through. I think he ends up at a B1G school for sure. Minnesota and Indiana will be tough to beat out but once again, we will be in the conversation. Need to land one of these.

Wow. Indiana offered and he's still going to visit us. That's saying something.

It goes back to a comment I made about Elbert in my really long post the other day: Elbert wasn't a failure; he's proof that we're as close as we've ever been.

I think this needs clarified again. I think the other clarification fell on the last post of the previous page. Illikainen is not visiting here. Hes a 2015 guy who can't make officials until next summer. He already toured here unofficially in June 2012. The news from today is that Miles was paying a visit to Illikainen.

I think we have a legit shot with this guy. The school that I am most worried about is Minnesota. Ben Johnson was the lead for him and he is now there. It is still good that MIles is attacking him hard and showing major interest. I also thought I read somewhere that 2015 recruits can start taking officials starting Jan 1 2014. It also states that Alex would like to pick a school before his senior season start, so that would mean he would be a November sign next year.

Edit - In the Indiana offer article at the bottom it states when a recruit can start to take officials.

Wow. Indiana offered and he's still going to visit us. That's saying something.

It goes back to a comment I made about Elbert in my really long post the other day: Elbert wasn't a failure; he's proof that we're as close as we've ever been.

I think this needs clarified again. I think the other clarification fell on the last post of the previous page. Illikainen is not visiting here. Hes a 2015 guy who can't make officials until next summer. He already toured here unofficially in June 2012. The news from today is that Miles was paying a visit to Illikainen.

Still.  The point remains.  He's gonna give Miles some face time.  Doesn't have to do that.  Could just say, nah, don't bother, I'm looking only at big name programs and there's really no chance for you so don't waste your time.  He could say that.  But he isn't.  He's a top 100 player, 4-star, and Miles is getting a home visit.  So, I'll say it again:  Elbert wasn't a failure; he's proof that we're as close as we've ever been.

There's an interview somewhere on youtube where he talks about schools.  Said something to the tune of "If a school shows me interest, I'm going to show interest back".  When asked about contact from Minnesota he mentioned Ben Johnson and said that he was recruiting him before at Nebraska.  I think he mentioned Nebraska another time.  Said he's going to take the time to find a place that fits him.

I hope he's as open to offers as he made it sound. 

I think we have a legit shot with this guy. The school that I am most worried about is Minnesota. Ben Johnson was the lead for him and he is now there. It is still good that MIles is attacking him hard and showing major interest. I also thought I read somewhere that 2015 recruits can start taking officials starting Jan 1 2014. It also states that Alex would like to pick a school before his senior season start, so that would mean he would be a November sign next year.

Edit - In the Indiana offer article at the bottom it states when a recruit can start to take officials.

I don't think we have a legit shot with him, but I would love it if we could get him.  From the Minnesota guys I have talked to, they seem to really like their odds with him, and then if his Indiana offer is commitable, that is another tough school to beat out.

I think we had a better shot with Elbert personally, but that doesn't mean we don't have any shot.  Getting him in for an official would be huge.

• 2 months later...

Did we cool on this kid because Ben Johnson left? Haven't heard much about him and he visited Creighton last weekend and Tweeted:

"Having a great time here in Omaha! Getting ready for the big game! #gojays"

"Creighton with the BIG "W"!! Great way to finish off the weekend here in Omaha! Happy New Years everybody!"

Did we cool on this kid because Ben Johnson left? Haven't heard much about him and he visited Creighton last weekend and Tweeted:

"Having a great time here in Omaha! Getting ready for the big game! #gojays"

"Creighton with the BIG "W"!! Great way to finish off the weekend here in Omaha! Happy New Years everybody!"

I know that wasn't the case during the summer after Johnson left as Robin Washut wrote an article on how we were still recruiting him. But I haven't heard anything regarding our recruitment of Alex for quite some time. I'll do some digging.

This article from yesterday talks of the rule change that allows recruits to take official visits during the winter of their junior year. So he's taking an official to Cal at the beginning of February. He spouts off a list of schools recruiting him the hardest and Nebraska is not mentioned. He does mention Creighton.

http://nebraska.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1595316

There was a nice article in the Mpls. Star Tribune yesterday about a 6'10" gunner that we have offered a scholly to. He is from up on the Iron Range (Grand Rapids) and hopefully like MANY people from that part of the state, has a strong dislike for the Twin Cities. Perhaps he would feel more at home in the cozy confines of the Star City. His name is Alex Illikainen.

Nice that we are mentioned in that article but it's just because we are one of his B1G offers. Would be nice to know how actively involved our staff still is with Alex. Most recently we are not amongst the schools Illikainen mentions are recruiting him the hardest and he's taken some unofficials to Creighton, Iowa State, and Minnesota and is officially visiting Cal in a couple weeks here. I know Miles had an in-home with him not too terribly long ago so hopefully we are still in the running but it seems doubtful. In another article about his recruitment he mentions potential visits to Cal, Oregon, and Vandy.

There was a nice article in the Mpls. Star Tribune yesterday about a 6'10" gunner that we have offered a scholly to. He is from up on the Iron Range (Grand Rapids) and hopefully like MANY people from that part of the state, has a strong dislike for the Twin Cities. Perhaps he would feel more at home in the cozy confines of the Star City. His name is Alex Illikainen.

Is he actually from there or does he just currently live there?  We haven't been great on foreign players lately.