Huskers playing in Grant Hall in 1911-12

hhcmatt

Thanks for the post Dimes! I looked up Grant Hall and UNL's site indicates it was razed in 1966.

This was before my time. Does anyone know where this was located on campus?

The original builidng footprint was 60 x 120 feet, and was situated from east to west in line with University Hall. The addition ran north to south and included a large auditorium. A large pipe organ was housed in the new wing. This organ was originally constructed for the Trans-Mississippi Exposition held in Omaha in 1898. It was purchased by alumni for $3,000 and donated to the University after the closing of the Exposition.

Thanks for the post Dimes! I looked up Grant Hall and UNL's site indicates it was razed in 1966.

This was before my time. Does anyone know where this was located on campus?

The original builidng footprint was 60 x 120 feet, and was situated from east to west in line with University Hall. The addition ran north to south and included a large auditorium. A large pipe organ was housed in the new wing. This organ was originally constructed for the Trans-Mississippi Exposition held in Omaha in 1898. It was purchased by alumni for $3,000 and donated to the University after the closing of the Exposition.

http://historicbuildings.unl.edu/maps.php?cid=12

I think this shot was taken to commemorate that last magic moment just before the first Husker fan had risen to leave for the parking lot.

"William, gather your popping corn.  Let us embark on an early exit with haste- I predict that the horse and buggy traffic will be exceptionally heavy this evening."

892801_481618755220011_46908813_o.jpg

Via the Nebraska Basketball facebook page.  Pretty neat.

I'm pretty sure I don't see any of our members in the picture, but I don't know for sure ;)

Actually, I think that was taken from my seats.  I may have been a bit higher up in the rafters, though.  

Norm is that why you carry a pair of tweezers in your pocket at all times?  Those wooden rafters look like they could be painful.

Was the home of the Huskers until the Coliseum opened in 1926.

This would have been E.O. "Jumbo" Stiehm's first season (coach in my picture).  The Huskers went 14-1 with the only loss at Minnesota.  In the season finale they beat Kansas 29-28.  His final record was 56-14 before moving on after the first game of the 1916 season to be Indiana's football coach & AD.  He wanted to coach the whole season but was pushed out.

As Nebraska's football coach his team went 35-2-3.  MVC champion all years with a 29 game winning streak before leaving, and has the highest winning percentage of any Husker coach.  Also last coach to have a winning record at Indiana football before leaving 20-18-1.  Apparently also coached Hoosier basketball in 1920 and went 13-8.

Read here:

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=920443

The 1910s...the last decade of Nebraska basketball dominance.  Won the Missouri Valley 4 times.  All four were basically under Steihm.  He coached the first game of the 1916 season before being forced out.  The team went on to win the conference championship.

First all-american in 1913 (Sam Carrier).

Read all about it in Husker History:

http://www.huskersnside.com/pdf4/21472.pdf?SPSID=35794&SPID=24&DB_OEM_ID=100

892801_481618755220011_46908813_o.jpg

Via the Nebraska Basketball facebook page.  Pretty neat.

I'm pretty sure I don't see any of our members in the picture, but I don't know for sure ;)

Actually, I think that was taken from my seats.  I may have been a bit higher up in the rafters, though.  

Norm is that why you carry a pair of tweezers in your pocket at all times?  Those wooden rafters look like they could be painful.

Norm carries the tweezers for bathroom breaks...... ;)

Was the home of the Huskers until the Coliseum opened in 1926.

This would have been E.O. "Jumbo" Stiehm's first season (coach in my picture).  The Huskers went 14-1 with the only loss at Minnesota.  In the season finale they beat Kansas 29-28.  His final record was 56-14 before moving on after the first game of the 1916 season to be Indiana's football coach & AD.  He wanted to coach the whole season but was pushed out.

As Nebraska's football coach his team went 35-2-3.  MVC champion all years with a 29 game winning streak before leaving, and has the highest winning percentage of any Husker coach.  Also last coach to have a winning record at Indiana football before leaving 20-18-1.  Apparently also coached Hoosier basketball in 1920 and went 13-8.

Read here:

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=920443

The 1910s...the last decade of Nebraska basketball dominance.  Won the Missouri Valley 4 times.  All four were basically under Steihm.  He coached the first game of the 1916 season before being forced out.  The team went on to win the conference championship.

First all-american in 1913 (Sam Carrier).

Read all about it in Husker History:

http://www.huskersnside.com/pdf4/21472.pdf?SPSID=35794&SPID=24&DB_OEM_ID=100

Wow that is dominant.  They must have had a Nike contract back then to get all those studs.

I think I can see swooshes on their shoes...