Great OWH article on state of the women's program

HuskerFan86

It's all in how you use it.  Athletic 6'5" nice bodied versatile 6'3 with a junior or senior point 6'0" point guard ( depending on post season surgery).  What's missing a do everything asked two ( Romeo) and a athletic 3 that can get to the rim off the bounce and play the mid game.  There are 3 on the list that I like.  The recruiting talent in the state on the upswing, meaning that there is a good chance of quality depth behind. Potentially an air apparent 6'1" point guard in your own  back yard.  I think we are a lot closer than people want to admit.

I think Coach Yori has demonstrated pretty well that she knows how to use what talent is at her disposal. Over the course of her career at Nebraska we've seen players improve greatly from freshman to senior year, and she's clearly a very gifted strategist. Based on raw talent and # of McDonald's All-Americans, we should've been blown out by both aTm and Duke, but the combo of player development and strategy Connie's got working for her was a great equalizer.

If she can just upgrade the raw materials a little bit with recruiting, we've all seen she can coach and develop players, so I think we could have something really special on our hands.

As stated elsewhere, I'm pretty excited about the in-state players in the pipeline too. Really hope we can land White, because Shepard will be a beast and I'm hearing good things about Simon too.

Something needs to happen in Women's BB.  UConn, ND, Tennessee and Stanford have a headlock on the game and the major talent.  UConn is clearly assisted by being in ESPN's backyard for recruiting.  I would think their conference isn't going to provide much of a challenge so they will have to continue to play a strong non-conference schedule.  California is a newcomer to the Final Four and a good showing by the Bears might be a sign that some changes are forthcoming.

Huskerfan 86

I too would love to see Chatrice in a Husker uniform.  I consider her and the Page gal from Kan.the best of the bigs on the list.  I consider her the top priority though.  We have to keep the best players in the state and also home grown talent put more back sides in seats.

Simon, the improvement is day and night from year start to year end.  During the Iowa game at the Bob I turned to my dad and said, when did she learn to move her feet on defense ( foot work at the beginning of the year was rather brutal).  Then the last game against PSU she grabbed 2 boards and on both she completely boxed out the interior PSU thugs, which pulled out another OMG for me.  I think she can be a huge surprise next year.  

• 2 weeks later...

With two years of experience, Sample knows exactly what she needs to do to help the team improve next year.

“I need to work on my ball-handling skills and shooting,” Sample said. “I probably will be asked to handle the ball more next year.

“Our goal is to improve on the Sweet 16. The fact we made the Sweet 16 and had the Elite 8 in our grasp will take us into next year

Marcus grad Sample finding life sweet at Nebraska