Smith is N!

Here is a Rivals article dated October 30, 2009, on Leslee Smith from when he committed to SMU.  Here are a couple blurbs from the article:

"By the beginning of his senior year, Smith had a total of seven offers. USC headlined the list, which also included SMU, Western Kentucky, Colorado State and others."

"It was less than two years ago when Smith left his home courty in the British Virgin Islands . . .  The journey brought him to Humble (Texas) where over the last year and a half he's made a major impact in the recruiting world. The 6-foot-7, 245-pounder quickly became considered as the top 100 player in the country by some recruiting sources. Last season, he made the All-Greater Houston team."

[Editorial note--the "top 100" comment seems to be hyperbole.] 

Welcome, Leslee, I hope you're ready to give us 20 solid minutes a night next year. St. Louis is a quality program. For him to choose us over them is pretty promising.

While Smith says his knee is fine during games, I wonder if maybe we're getting a sleeper who can play a little better than he's shown over the past couple of years.

I watched a half of each of his games against Hutchinson and Independence.

The positives: He's big and he's strong and he can move a little bit. He definitely plays within himself.

The negatives: Smith seems to blend in far too much during games. He's big and strong, but doesn't really throw his weight around. I also was left wanting him to be more active on the offensive glass. 

He's hardly an exciting prospect, but I definitely think there are some good things to build off of. I'm guessing the No. 1 thing Miles wants to instill in Smith is that GATA attitude. He's big and tough and will have to play that way in the B1G. It's not junior college anymore, so no more coasting.

I watched a half of each of his games against Hutchinson and Independence.

The positives: He's big and he's strong and he can move a little bit. He definitely plays within himself.

The negatives: Smith seems to blend in far too much during games. He's big and strong, but doesn't really throw his weight around. I also was left wanting him to be more active on the offensive glass. 

He's hardly an exciting prospect, but I definitely think there are some good things to build off of. I'm guessing the No. 1 thing Miles wants to instill in Smith is that GATA attitude. He's big and tough and will have to play that way in the B1G. It's not junior college anymore, so no more coasting.

Smith showed some ability in the first half of the Hutch game.  Fairly skilled with the ball and a decent athlete.  Agree that he didn't really use his size to his advantage and his motor was on and off.  I'm sure both of these items will be addressed by the staff.  Overall, I wasn't disappointed with what I saw and he fills a need.  Now lets land Tummala to finish off this class.

I am not being critical him at all, just want the info, how many stars is he?  2?  Or was that just for HS and Juco's don't get stars?

Does he have 2 years to play 2? Or 3 years to play 2?

Class of 2010 originally w/ 2 seasons of eligibility after a year at SMU and 1 year of playing at Seward Co. CC.

So 3 years to play 2?

I am not being critical him at all, just want the info, how many stars is he?  2?  Or was that just for HS and Juco's don't get stars?

Does he have 2 years to play 2? Or 3 years to play 2?

Class of 2010 originally w/ 2 seasons of eligibility after a year at SMU and 1 year of playing at Seward Co. CC.

So 3 years to play 2?

Yes, but he'll only need 2 of them.

Having seen him play during the regular season in KJCAA play he showed a quick burst when the game started and when was re-inserted off the bench, but did seem to fatigue and blend into the game after 3 or 4 minutes, which is the main reason in my opinion why his average minutes per game was around 20 this season.  But when he plays at full steam you are impressed, just seemed to be for only four possessions at a time.

Which is why I stated in the recruiting board, is here's a prospect who if he reaches his potential (gets his knee stronger and his stamina built up) can really provide a big spark off the bench by getting some big rebounds, provide some second chance scoring, and the ability to throw a couple dunks down.  He does have some range to his shot, but needs to work on his interior passing.

He's a 2 years to play 2 guy.   The free article linked over on the recruiting board says he redshirted his true Fr year at SMU 2010-11.   Then played a year there 2011-12.  Then played his Soph year ( sports wise ) at Juco this past season.

This might help add to what was going on some this year.

1. More Smith: “I think my toughness level is what increased, and learning to fight through a lot of things, like fatigue."

2. Said Nebrasketball recruit Leslee Smith of his time at Seward County: “I got a lot better, a lot stronger, a lot tougher ...

he seems to know that he has to work on a few things.