2013 Cactus League Invitational Tournament

Hooper

I recently purchased the 2012-2013 season data for the Cactus League basketball simulator. This season's data was just released. Cactus League is a very good NCAA basketball simulator. It may not be the best (not sure), but it's pretty sophisticated.

I decided, since we're not playing in any real tournaments this year, to do a simulated tournament. I'll post the results each day and an updated bracket. I'll also post details and box scores from each Nebraska game.

This tournament bracket isn't perfect, obviously, but it represents a pretty good sampling of the best teams that aren't playing in the NCAA, NIT or CBI tournaments.

The initial bracket is below. This tournament will follow the same basic schedule as the NCAA tournament, beginning on Thursday afternoon. I gave Nebraska a 6 seed based on strength of schedule.

CactusLeagueInvitational2013_zps69e61bde

The 8-9 game?  WTH?  If we win, then we have to play the #1 seed most likely.  You coulda done this anyway you wanted and you make sure that we basically get no further than round #2?  Some fan you are.  Somewhere, Brandon Ubel is saying "Thanks a lot."

(JUST kidding.  In case it wasn't obvious.)

It's going to be a tough road for the Huskers. I didn't expect Nebraska to be a 9 seed when I seeded the tournament, but if you start with the best teams that aren't playing in the post-season, and then work your way back, the Huskers end up with a seed right around there.

The seeding is based most on Pomeroy ratings, with some concessions made for lower-conference teams that won a lot of games.

Is this a tournament of teams not in the post season?

Yeah, it's basically a simulated tournament made up of teams that aren't playing in the post season.

I think the selection committee jobbed us.  We shoulda gotten no worse than a #6 seed.  Ahem.

I'll hear complaints from committee members today and tomorrow. If you feel the Huskers should be a higher seed, then make the argument for why. :)

This seeding isn't easy to do. I started with the best teams that aren't playing in the post-season, using Pomeroy ratings as the main guide and a cut off of needing 13 wins to get in.

My main goal here was to create a tournament that might be interesting to watch. I'm not sure how long Nebraska will last as a 9 seed. 

I know everyone's been anxiously awaiting the outcome of today's games!  :P  I ran all simulations for today's action, including Nebraska vs. San Francisco. Nebraska pulled away with a 69-58 victory, with Ubel and Talley fouling out late. The Huskers face Texas Southern in the second round after they upset Washington State.

CactusLeagueInvitational2013-3-21_zps058

Huskers69Dons58_zpsd1b2248e.gif

Since UCONN is in this tournament, I'd take it that post season bans do not apply to the CLI.

If so, Texas Southern would be ineligible.

Their overall record isn't that great because they went on the road like SWAC teams and played the 7th toughest non-conference schedudle.  They did take Colorado to Double OT.

It's very possible Texas Southern would have taken out Southern in the SWAC championship as they were the two top teams in the league.

Texas Southern is a 3pt shooting team so if they have a hot day they can knock off the Huskers.

They're also fairly small so virtual Andre should have a field day when playing.

Nebraska 66 - Texas Southern 54

Well, Nebraska's season is now officially over. The Huskers failed to make the Sweet 16 of the CLI, losing 66-80 to a scrappy Texas Southern team. As dimes predicted, Texas Southern killed the Huskers with 3-point shots, hitting 13-of-29.

Nebraska led early in the first half by 1, but the Huskers were down by as much as 17 at one point, and went into the half down 12. They closed the gap to around 7, but Texas Southern got hot again on 3-pointers late and ran away with it.

Huskers66Tigers80_zps846ba33e.gif

Here's the updated CLI bracket:

CactusLeagueInvitational2013-3-23_zps96e

Wow.  We lost to the team that lost to the team that lost to the team that lost to the team (that we previously beat in the regular season) that lost to the eventual champion.  Yick.  That doesn't look good.  You can often console yourself if the team that beats you goes on and does well.  But when the team that beats you loses in the very next round and the team that beat them loses in the next round after that, etc., you begin to feel ... pretty sucky.

How'd we make the field?