Sai Tummala -> Arizona St.-> Hawaii

Damn straight, M&R. Damn straight.

If you're athletic and have long arms, 6'7" is tall enough to play PF in this league. Especially if you have skills, which it appears this Tumalla kid does. Again, fingers crossed. They say he's a fantastic athlete, which is one thing I can't really get a super solid handle on just watching the film. But he's clearly got some skills and can do some things that I haven't really seen anyone else on the roster do.

Please, Tim, please have Walter Pitchford learning some post moves this off-season. We need him to be able to score inside next year. That's the last real piece of this puzzle, AFAIC.

Craig Smith told a friend of mine a few months ago at a booster function that Pitchford came to Lincoln with no big man skills at all. He said it was almost like he received no coaching attention at Florida, and certainly no development on his post game. This has literally been a case of starting from scratch in developing him to play down low.

As for Tummala, he and Pitchford have similar athleticism. Obviously, Tummala is smaller, but both guys have a level of athleticism that we didn't see in a Nebraska uniform at any point in 2012-2013.

Thanks for the info, Hoops.

Nice thing, when it comes to big man skills, is that they can be developed if you have some basketball skills to start out with. If you're an uncoordinated stiff who's just tall, it might be a different story. But if you have some skills in the basketball arena and have some athletecism, we're talking about just teaching some post-up moves and getting them ingrained so that you have a couple of reliable go-to moves when the need arises.

Just look at the work-out videos for Tumalla posted in this thread and for that other kid posted in the "which big men are we pursuing" thread. It can be done. It absolutely can be done. And it might even be better starting with a blank slate because you don't have to unlearn anything.

It must've been on one of The Journey shows earlier this year or last year...but I saw a segment on Bo Ryan and how every player on the Wisconsin roster, including guards, are required to learn and perfect post moves.

FWIW, I remember Jeff Bzdelik does the same thing.   I remember one of our last seasons in the Big 12, we were playing Colorado away and the announcers on TV were talking about how Bzdelik makes everyone learn how to post.  It was just after one of their guards posted up one of our guards inside.  It wasn't the Burkes kid.  It was the other terrific guard they had that year.

FWIW, I remember Jeff Bzdelik does the same thing.   I remember one of our last seasons in the Big 12, we were playing Colorado away and the announcers on TV were talking about how Bzdelik makes everyone learn how to post.  It was just after one of their guards posted up one of our guards inside.  It wasn't the Burkes kid.  It was the other terrific guard they had that year.

Was this the same year that we were on the bubble when we lost to them the last game of the year?

His film looks very solid.  If he came to Nebraska, he could be the most athletic player on the team.  Legit Big Ten athleticism in the video that Norm posted this morning, Tummala looks like a freak.  Sick athlete, has moves down in the post, he can step out and stroke the 3... ATHLETIC.  It would be a steal for Nebraska to land this guy.  He could potentially play the PF spot.  He's not a bruiser PF, but he is very smooth, long, and has some great moves down there.  Fingers crossed on this guy.

Could be a solid and very athletic starting line up next season:

PG : Webster (6'3")

SG: Shields (6'6")

SF: Petteway (6'6")

PF: Tummala (6'7")

C: Pitchford (6'10")   

Side Note: the video in the first post of this thread looks like it could fit right in with Fresh Prince of Bel-Air basketball scenes.  Especially with the background music. 

I can't see Gallegos being removed from the starting lineup. Next year's team is going to need a RS senior veteran. Not to mention we are going to have legitimate point guards that will allow Ray to get wide open looks.

I agree, TimSmiles, and as stated above, I don't really see Shields being the 2 anyway.

But, say we land this Tumalla kid.  I can certainly see rotations next year where we go 6'10", 6'7", 6'7", 6'6", 6'3".

And, in those rotations, we're talking about having some interchangeable parts on defense that will allow us to switch every screen and stress their shooters by putting length against them. 

To complete the picture, besides a kid like Tumalla, we need a beefy big to backup Pitchford.  That's the final piece to the puzzle.  And I suspect there will be plenty of rotations on the floor next year that have nothing but freshmen and sophomores.  Which will happen any time we have Gallegos, Biggs and Rivers on the bench at the same time.

His film looks very solid.  If he came to Nebraska, he could be the most athletic player on the team.  Legit Big Ten athleticism in the video that Norm posted this morning, Tummala looks like a freak.  Sick athlete, has moves down in the post, he can step out and stroke the 3... ATHLETIC.  It would be a steal for Nebraska to land this guy.  He could potentially play the PF spot.  He's not a bruiser PF, but he is very smooth, long, and has some great moves down there.  Fingers crossed on this guy.

Side Note: the video in the first post of this thread looks like it could fit right in with Fresh Prince of Bel-Air basketball scenes.  Especially with the background music. 

I might move some of those around a bit.  In order to really play the 2-guard spot, Shields ideally needs to improve his quickness and explosiveness plus work on that jump shot.  And probably ball skills.  I think Petteway is talked about as more of a slashing 2 with good ball skills and athleticism.  You might flip those two.  In fact, from what I understand, I think Shields can play the 3 or a stretch 4 and Petteway can swing anywhere from the 2 to the 4.  If we get this Tumalla kid, there will be about half a dozen players who would be almost interchangeable at the 2-4 positions (can you say "switch every screen"?)

So, the lineup, from what I understand, could look like:

PG  Parker, Biggs, Webster (in order of arrival)

SG  Gallegos, Petteway, Hawkins

SF  Rivers, Shields, Fuller, Petteway, Hawkins

PF  Tumalla, Rivers, Shields, Fuller, Petteway, Pitchford

C/F Pitchford, Vucetic, Atewe(?)

That's 13 guys and obviously they don't all play.  If we get Tumalla, and if Pitchford has or develops the back-to-the-basket skills that Tumalla has, we could really be in business next year.  But most likely the year after that.

Yeah you're right.  Petteway makes more sense at the SG and Shields more sense at the SF.  I would love to see them both on the floor at the same time though.

I can't see Gallegos being removed from the starting lineup. Next year's team is going to need a RS senior veteran. Not to mention we are going to have legitimate point guards that will allow Ray to get wide open looks.

I would actually be surprised if Gallegos started next season.  I don't think he is as good of a shooter as he is made out to be.  I think his point totals have much more to do with the number of shots that he takes, than anything.  He is a sheer volume shooter, which takes shots away from other guys on the court.  I also think that he is a much too inconsistent shooter to rely on in the starting lineup if you have other options.  There are too many times that he just goes completely cold.  Him being such an inconsistent shooter doesn't hurt you as much if he is coming off of the bench.  If he is having one of his nights where he drills 3-4 3-pointers in a 5 minute stretch, then that gives you a huge boost off of the bench, while your starters are resting.  And if he goes 1-12 from the field, it's not as big of a deal, as long as he can lock his man down defensively.  While starters need to increase the lead, it is ok if the bench players don't build on the lead, as long as they can maintain the lead, while the starters are on the bench. 

He finished with 20 and 6 tonight in their loss.

And he did that with virtually no screens and no distinguishable offensive philosophy. If he happened to get himself open and they happened to pass it to him, he got a shot. That team could be so much more effective if they installed some kind of offensive system that set up their most gifted scorers!

The one issue I had with the way he played last night is that he only got to the FT line one time.

I have noticed from watching some of the bigger games in the NJCAA, that refs tend to blow their whistles a little less... now that may not of been the case last night, but sometimes they seem to suck on those babies like tootsie pops

The one issue I had with the way he played last night is that he only got to the FT line one time.

I have noticed from watching some of the bigger games in the NJCAA, that refs tend to blow their whistles a little less... now that may not of been the case last night, but sometimes they seem to suck on those babies like tootsie pops

I don't think it was the case. He settled for 8 3s when he probably should have been able to get to the basket more.

I don't think it was the case. He settled for 8 3s when he probably should have been able to get to the basket more.

How many fouls were called last night? 

How many fouls were called last night? 

http://www.cybersportsusa.com/statHoopMedia.asp?sport_id=1&tc_id=2665&team_id=14433&seas_id=2012&sch_id=84698

If that is right, there were 56 total fouls and 72 total free throws...

I'll take 20 points on 8-16 shooting every night from a player even if they only get to the line once.  Thats still efficient shooting.

I'll take 20 points on 8-16 shooting every night from a player even if they only get to the line once.  Thats still efficient shooting.

Wasn't saying he played bad, but pointing out that he took a lot of 3s and only got to the line one time.