Sai Tummala -> Arizona St.-> Hawaii

Looks like we may have made an offer to this G/F...looks like he was a one-time walkon at Michigan???

Sai Tummala (6-6/2013) has been offered by Brown, Penn, Binghamton, Drake, Stephen F Austin, Santa Clara, BYU and Nebraska. Colorado State is also showing heavy interest. Tummala is averaging 14.2 points and 6 rebounds per game this season.

http://www.jucorecruiting.com/salt-lake-cc-players-seeing-strong-interest-heading-into-national-tournament/

I think it is a serious offer. After reading the following article in the Ann Arbor Times you might feel better. He sure looks like he plays bigger then 6'6". I think he has really long arms.

So critical to find the right diamond in the rough.

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-basketball/michigan-basketball-walk-on-sai-tummala-leaves-the-program-after-one-season/

Miles has been going after some pretty sketchy players as of late. Leslee smith and now this kid.

Makes me wonder why we stopped pursuing Kevin Thomas.

Now, wait a sec.  I googled him and found an entry from verbalcommits where they said he's a 6'7" freshman at his juco this year.  

Already eligible since he enrolled at Michigan, so he wouldn't have to graduate from juco.  That would make him a 3 to play 3 guy.  That tape shows he has some upside.  Probably just needed to develop a bit.  Let's see what happens.

Miles has been going after some pretty sketchy players as of late. Leslee smith and now this kid.

Now, wait a sec.  I googled him and found an entry from verbalcommits where they said he's a 6'7" freshman at his juco this year.  

Already eligible since he enrolled at Michigan, so he wouldn't have to graduate from juco.  That would make him a 3 to play 3 guy.  That tape shows he has some upside.  Probably just needed to develop a bit.  Let's see what happens.

Do we want a former walk-on that had no offers in high school to take up a scholarship for 3 years? It seems like a big risk, especially since we already have Fuller, Shields, Rivers, Petteway.

I'm going to go out on a limb and call this a good get if it happens.  Don't care who else recruited.  He's playing as a freshman in juco right now.  Typically, freshmen don't put up big stats in juco.  You don't see them putting up big numbers until they're sophomores.  This kid is averaging 14 pts and 6 bds on 50% shooting from the field and 40% from beyond the arc.  Those are good numbers.  Better numbers, except for rebounds, than Kevin Thomas was putting up.  And if he's legitimately 6'7" with a big wingspan and good ups ...

I'm open-minded about this one.  This could be Michigan's loss.

I'm going to go out on a limb and call this a good get if it happens.  Don't care who else recruited.  He's playing as a freshman in juco right now.  Typically, freshmen don't put up big stats in juco.  You don't see them putting up big numbers until they're sophomores.  This kid is averaging 14 pts and 6 bds on 50% shooting from the field and 40% from beyond the arc.  Those are good numbers.  Better numbers, except for rebounds, than Kevin Thomas was putting up.  And if he's legitimately 6'7" with a big wingspan and good ups ...

I'm open-minded about this one.  This could be Michigan's loss.

It was basically his sophomore year though because he redshirted a full season at Michigan, and I feel like Michigan would have tried harder to keep him around if they thought he had a lot of potential

I would be less skeptical if we did not have a huge need for big men.

I think it is a serious offer. After reading the following article in the Ann Arbor Times you might feel better. He sure looks like he plays bigger then 6'6". I think he has really long arms.

So critical to find the right diamond in the rough.

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-basketball/michigan-basketball-walk-on-sai-tummala-leaves-the-program-after-one-season/

This player looks like a Tim Miles recruit.  He can shoot, he can catch, he can pass, and he handles the ball exceedingly well.  He is very quick, very active and appears to be effective at every facet of the game.  Here is a blurb from the Michigan web page linked immediately above: 

"Though Tummala never played a minute in a Wolverine uniform, he was highly praised by Beilein early last season for his athleticism.  . . .  Beilein declared that Tummala might have been the Wolverines' best overall athlete.  'He may be our most athletic player. . . . Aside from maybe Trey Burke, he's one of our quickest players and has really showed some good signs. I really like what he's done so far in practice.'"

Also impressive is his IQ for rebounding position, his nose for the ball, and his willingness to bang underneath. 

If I'm to believe this page I would think he was offered by Nebraska-Omaha

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/sai-tummala

Don't know if we also offered Rolo Tomassi

Looks like we may have made an offer to this G/F...looks like he was a one-time walkon at Michigan???

Sai Tummala (6-6/2013) has been offered by Brown, Penn, Binghamton, Drake, Stephen F Austin, Santa Clara, BYU and Nebraska. Colorado State is also showing heavy interest. Tummala is averaging 14.2 points and 6 rebounds per game this season.

http://www.jucorecruiting.com/salt-lake-cc-players-seeing-strong-interest-heading-into-national-tournament/

The original article does not clarify UNL or UNO. Someone should get Washut or Rosenthal to find out if we have offered.

BYU really wants this kid from what I saw posted on verbalcommits (or whatever it was ... I mentioned it above.)

TimSmiles, think of it this way.  Typically, juco kids play 2 years and graduate juco in order to become academically eligible at a 4-yr school.  Juco kids who signed last fall for the 2013 class were pursued basically for what they showed as freshmen (because their soph seasons wouldn't have started yet.)  Coaches looking at the juco ranks now are looking at freshmen for NEXT fall and not as 2013 recruits.  And, generally speaking, the freshmen they are looking at will put up better numbers as sophomores than they did as freshmen, and a lot of the time it's a significant jump.

Take SMU's 4-star juco center recruit, Yanick Moreira. As a freshman, he averaged just shy of 12 points and 8 rebounds per game. This year as a sophomore, he's jumped up to 17.5 points and over 9 rebounds per game. And, again, Rivals ranks him as a 4-star recruit.  SMU signed him in November, though, because of what he did as a freshman.  This kid we're looking at put up 15 and 6 as a freshman. And, yeah, he may be a sophomore age-wise. But let's say he'd played a year at prep school versus redshirting as a walk-on at Michigan (where he probably ran with the scout squad all season.) In which environment do you suppose he would have gained more experience?

Based on what little I've seen of this kid, I would venture to guess that if he was a 2014 recruit looking to sign in November, he'd have a healthy offer list next fall and be one of the top juco recruiting targets for the 2014 class.  I say this not only based on what he showed in the tape and what his numbers were this year, but also because, having followed juco recruiting, I'm going to guess this kid's numbers compare extremely favorably to the rest of the freshman class of jucos.  A freshman is still a freshman.

And his team is one of the top ranked juco teams in the nation right now (#6) and his sophomore teammate, another former walk-on at another school, just gave a commit to BYU.  I'm tellin' ya, if this kid were coming out in the fall, he'd have a healthy offer list.  Forget that he was a former walk-on at Michigan.  They may rue the day they let this kid get away.

OK, just a little more data for those interested.  Sai is the 2nd leading scorer on his team and basically tied for leading rebounder.  The leading scorer is the guard who just committed to BYU that I mentioned above.

Two of his other teammates have pedigrees.  Gary Payton's kid Gary II.  And Tyrone Corbin's kid Tyrell.  They both are getting D1 looks and they both average about 10 points per game, which is about 4 points fewer per game than Sai.

Norm, are you sure Tummala is a 3 for 3? Both the NJCAA and Salt Lake CC sites list him as a sophomore.

Either way, I can see why the staff would be interested. He is very athletic, has good inside moves and shoots the 3 well. Do we have anyone currently on the roster or coming in that has that skillset and is 6'6" and 215? Not that I can see, given that I would not call Shields athletic. I also wonder if he can be a defensive stopper. You need a couple of those guys on your roster as well.

My question would be where was he offered before he decided to walk on at Michigan?  

He was a "preferred" Michigan walkon and was there to try and earn a scholarship.  

Not sure if he transferred because of a money thing or not thinking he would play thing...probably a kid who always wanted to go to Michigan growing up.

Not sure how he is on the court but the kid is a star in the classroom.

Norm, are you sure Tummala is a 3 for 3? Both the NJCAA and Salt Lake CC sites list him as a sophomore.

It appears that Norm is correct based on the following:

2010-11 Season--played at Brophy College Prep School

2011-12 Season--had a preferred-walkon and redshirt year at Michigan--did not participate in any games

2012-13 Season--is currently playing at Salt Lake Community College.

Either way, I can see why the staff would be interested. He is very athletic, has good inside moves and shoots the 3 well. Do we have anyone currently on the roster or coming in that has that skillset and is 6'6" and 215? Not that I can see, given that I would not call Shields athletic. I also wonder if he can be a defensive stopper. You need a couple of those guys on your roster as well.

Yep.  Certain.  I looked it up before I said it.  He did not play at Michigan.  Redshirted his only season there last year and is playing as a redshirt freshman at the juco.  He will be a sophomore, eligibility-wise, at whatever school he attends next year.

And, I may be going out on a limb here, but I'll say it again -- I think this kid would be a good get.  Not a great get.  But a good get.

Look at the film, dudes.  That's not just random clips from 25 different games, cherry picking all his best moments.  It appears to be multiple plays from 4-5 games in an 8 minute clip.  He can score inside; he can score outside.  Seems to be very athletic, which is consistent with how the Michigan coach described him.  Seems to have an intuitive feel for getting shots off inside.

In a lot of ways, I find him comparable to Christian Standhardginer, EXCEPT you take away the herky-jerky Standhardinger moves when he'd try to go one-on-one down low and instead have a guy with a much more American style of the game.  PLUS he's a better outside shooter than Dinger AND he actually plays defense.

I'm really liking this kid.1

1  Opinion subject to change without notice.  Past performance is not indicative of future results.  Read all contest rules before entereing.  Not available where prohibited by law.

actually Norm he WOULD have to graduate from his Juco.  Its the 4-2-4 rule.  If you attend a 4 year university and transfer to a juco you must get your associates to transfer to another 4 year school.  They want to make sure at that point youre in line with the rest of the juco players that should graduate by their second year.  Obviously with your freshman years credits and what you take there you should graduate without any problems.

actually Norm he WOULD have to graduate from his Juco.  Its the 4-2-4 rule.  If you attend a 4 year university and transfer to a juco you must get your associates to transfer to another 4 year school.  They want to make sure at that point youre in line with the rest of the juco players that should graduate by their second year.  Obviously with your freshman years credits and what you take there you should graduate without any problems.

If he has enough credits, 1. Could he not graduate with an Asc. Degree this year? and 2.  Graduate Mid-Term next year, and not play in this next season.