Sai Tummala -> Arizona St.-> Hawaii

This guy is extremely athletic with great ball handling skills, long arms and a good shot. It seems like he chased a dream at Michigan but had too many guys similar to him who were just better, like Stauskas, Hardaway Jr., Robinson III, etc. I can see why he left. Michigan is like $50,000 per year for an out-of-state student without a scholarship. He's starting to get some decent offers.

Apparently the staff is down in Wichita watching him play.

His film is solid.

His stats are solid

His competition is solid

There are other "options" on his squad & he's still putting up solid, efficient #'s.

The kids a baller.  I have no problem with the offer.

Plus he's smart.  I have no problem with this offer & the fact he knows what it takes to compete in the B10.

His film looks very solid.  If he came to Nebraska, he could be the most athletic player on the team.  Legit Big Ten athleticism in the video that Norm posted this morning, Tummala looks like a freak.  Sick athlete, has moves down in the post, he can step out and stroke the 3... ATHLETIC.  It would be a steal for Nebraska to land this guy.  He could potentially play the PF spot.  He's not a bruiser PF, but he is very smooth, long, and has some great moves down there.  Fingers crossed on this guy.

Could be a solid and very athletic starting line up next season:

PG : Webster (6'3")

SG: Shields (6'6")

SF: Petteway (6'6")

PF: Tummala (6'7")

C: Pitchford (6'10")   

Side Note: the video in the first post of this thread looks like it could fit right in with Fresh Prince of Bel-Air basketball scenes.  Especially with the background music. 

His film looks very solid.  If he came to Nebraska, he could be the most athletic player on the team.  Legit Big Ten athleticism in the video that Norm posted this morning, Tummala looks like a freak.  Sick athlete, has moves down in the post, he can step out and stroke the 3... ATHLETIC.  It would be a steal for Nebraska to land this guy.  He could potentially play the PF spot.  He's not a bruiser PF, but he is very smooth, long, and has some great moves down there.  Fingers crossed on this guy.

Side Note: the video in the first post of this thread looks like it could fit right in with Fresh Prince of Bel-Air basketball scenes.  Especially with the background music. 

I have seen the type of team you are hoping for,,,,and these teams are extremely fun to watch....we should only hope that your hopes go straight to God's ears!

I said this would be a good get.  I'm crossing my fingers actually.  What I really, really like about him is that lefty hook from the baseline.  Looks like he's effective out to 10 feet at least.  That's a tough shot to defend.  And then you add to it the fact that he shoots better than 40% from beyond the arc.  You gotta like a kid who can score in multiple ways.

I might move some of those around a bit.  In order to really play the 2-guard spot, Shields ideally needs to improve his quickness and explosiveness plus work on that jump shot.  And probably ball skills.  I think Petteway is talked about as more of a slashing 2 with good ball skills and athleticism.  You might flip those two.  In fact, from what I understand, I think Shields can play the 3 or a stretch 4 and Petteway can swing anywhere from the 2 to the 4.  If we get this Tumalla kid, there will be about half a dozen players who would be almost interchangeable at the 2-4 positions (can you say "switch every screen"?)

So, the lineup, from what I understand, could look like:

PG  Parker, Biggs, Webster (in order of arrival)

SG  Gallegos, Petteway, Hawkins

SF  Rivers, Shields, Fuller, Petteway, Hawkins

PF  Tumalla, Rivers, Shields, Fuller, Petteway, Pitchford

C/F Pitchford, Vucetic, Atewe(?)

That's 13 guys and obviously they don't all play.  If we get Tumalla, and if Pitchford has or develops the back-to-the-basket skills that Tumalla has, we could really be in business next year.  But most likely the year after that.

I might move some of those around a bit.  In order to really play the 2-guard spot, Shields ideally needs to improve his quickness and explosiveness plus work on that jump shot.  And probably ball skills.  I think Petteway is talked about as more of a slashing 2 with good ball skills and athleticism.  You might flip those two.  In fact, from what I understand, I think Shields can play the 3 or a stretch 4 and Petteway can swing anywhere from the 2 to the 4.  If we get this Tumalla kid, there will be about half a dozen players who would be almost interchangeable at the 2-4 positions (can you say "switch every screen"?)

So, the lineup, from what I understand, could look like:

PG  Parker, Biggs, Webster (in order of arrival)

SG  Gallegos, Petteway, Hawkins

SF  Rivers, Shields, Fuller, Petteway, Hawkins

PF  Tumalla, Rivers, Shields, Fuller, Petteway, Pitchford

C/F Pitchford, Vucetic, Atewe(?)

That's 13 guys and obviously they don't all play.  If we get Tumalla, and if Pitchford has or develops the back-to-the-basket skills that Tumalla has, we could really be in business next year.  But most likely the year after that.

Add Tumala & Atewe and that is an exciting list of true D1 talent! And pretty well balanced between all the parts needed to field a competitive team! I know we don't have either Tumala or Atewe yet, but I'm geeked for next year!!!

Damn straight, M&R.  Damn straight.

If you're athletic and have long arms, 6'7" is tall enough to play PF in this league.  Especially if you have skills, which it appears this Tumalla kid does.  Again, fingers crossed.  They say he's a fantastic athlete, which is one thing I can't really get a super solid handle on just watching the film.  But he's clearly got some skills and can do some things that I haven't really seen anyone else on the roster do.

Please, Tim, please have Walter Pitchford learning some post moves this off-season.  We need him to be able to score inside next year.  That's the last real piece of this puzzle, AFAIC.

If you're athletic and have long arms, 6'7" is tall enough to play PF in this league.  Especially if you have skills, which it appears this Tumalla kid does.  Again, fingers crossed.  They say he's a fantastic athlete, which is one thing I can't really get a super solid handle on just watching the film.  But he's clearly got some skills and can do some things that I haven't really seen anyone else on the roster do.

Please, Tim, please have Walter Pitchford learning some post moves this off-season.  We need him to be able to score inside next year.  That's the last real piece of this puzzle, AFAIC.

Craig Smith told a friend of mine a few months ago at a booster function that Pitchford came to Lincoln with no big man skills at all. He said it was almost like he received no coaching attention at Florida, and certainly no development on his post game. This has literally been a case of starting from scratch in developing him to play down low.

As for Tummala, he and Pitchford have similar athleticism. Obviously, Tummala is smaller, but both guys have a level of athleticism that we didn't see in a Nebraska uniform at any point in 2012-2013.

Craig Smith told a friend of mine a few months ago at a booster function that Pitchford came to Lincoln with no big man skills at all. He said it was almost like he received no coaching attention at Florida, and certainly no development on his post game. This has literally been a case of starting from scratch in developing him to play down low.

As for Tummala, he and Pitchford have similar athleticism. Obviously, Tummala is smaller, but both guys have a level of athleticism that we didn't see in a Nebraska uniform at any point in 2012-2013.

i can't remember the last time we had two athletes like Pitchford and Tummala on the same team in general.  We've had a few impressive athletes the last few years (Caleb Walker, Myles Holley, Kyle Marks, Sek Henry) but they were pretty average (at best) basketball players.  Pitchford and Tummala are incredibly athletic, and they also have strong basketball skills to go with it.  You can throw Biggs in there too, he's small but his athleticism shouldn't be ignored.

Really hope we land Tummala, that'll just be another core guy we have for 3 years to go with the redshirts, incoming freshmen, and Shavon.  I think we'll take quite a few bumps next year while these guys learn to play together and adjust to the Big Ten, but we are going to be pretty fun to watch offensively when they're clicking.

Thanks for the info, Hoops.

Nice thing, when it comes to big man skills, is that they can be developed if you have some basketball skills to start out with.  If you're an uncoordinated stiff who's just tall, it might be a different story.  But if you have some skills in the basketball arena and have some athletecism, we're talking about just teaching some post-up moves and getting them ingrained so that you have a couple of reliable go-to moves when the need arises. 

Just look at the work-out videos for Tumalla posted in this thread and for that other kid posted in the "which big men are we pursuing" thread.  It can be done.  It absolutely can be done.  And it might even be better starting with a blank slate because you don't have to unlearn anything.

He's in Wichita right now correct?

Maybe he could just come on up for a visit after his team wins the National Title and take a look around.

You know just cause he is in the neighborhood and all. :rolleyes:

National tournament is in Hutchinson, KS which is about 45-60 minutes from Wichita depending on what part of town youre in.