Creighton to the Big East

Handy Johnson

Their excuses sound eerily similar to the Doc years when we were close to winning against good teams. And I'm not saying that as a diss to Doc. I was and still am a Doc Sadler fan. They are totally DeBluesional. Some of them are even claiming that we would be getting messed up by everyone in the BE. Funny stuff over there.

Somewhere on this board a few weeks ago there was a Creighton troll probably trying to rub our nose in the loss to Indiana, if memory serves. 

And I suggested they better hope they can beat DePaul (they didn't) or they might go 0 for January.  I'm looking more prescient by the game.  I think they have 3 chances left to win a game in January:  @ #4 Villanova, St. John's and Georgetown.

Then their February begins @ Xavier and @ St. John's.

If they don't sneak one at home against St. John's, they could begin conference play 0-12.  Or make it a baker's dozen because after that, they're at home against Marquette.

Remember what they'd all say when we tried to tell them it was easier for them to pile up wins in the Missouri Valley?

Some are already calling for McDermott's head.  It didn't take very long.  Things will get better next year for them(how can it not?)...but they better get use to being towards the bottom of their league.  They will be there more often than not. 

I'm not so sure it's going to be better for them next year, actually.  They're losing Kreklow, Dingman, Artino, Brooks and Chatman to graduation, and will depend heavily on their transfers Watson and Huff to carry the load for them.  Other than that it will be up to Zeirden (if he didn't just end his career last night injuring his knee...it was a pretty ugly looking situation) and their "highly regarded" freshmen to fill in and provide depth and scoring.

I'm not sold on depending so heavily on freshmen and transfers the way they will be next year.

Somewhere on this board a few weeks ago there was a Creighton troll probably trying to rub our nose in the loss to Indiana, if memory serves. 

And I suggested they better hope they can beat DePaul (they didn't) or they might go 0 for January.  I'm looking more prescient by the game.  I think they have 3 chances left to win a game in January:  @ #4 Villanova, St. John's and Georgetown.

If they don't sneak one at home against St. John's, they could begin conference play 0-12.  Or make it a baker's dozen because after that, they're at home against Marquette.

Remember what they'd all say when we tried to tell them it was easier for them to pile up wins in the Missouri Valley?

Some are already calling for McDermott's head.  It didn't take very long.  Things will get better next year for them(how can it not?)...but they better get use to being towards the bottom of their league.  They will be there more often than not. 

I'm not so sure it's going to be better for them next year, actually.  They're losing Kreklow, Dingman, Artino, Brooks and Chatman to graduation, and will depend heavily on their transfers Watson and Huff to carry the load for them.  Other than that it will be up to Zeirden (if he didn't just end his career last night injuring his knee...it was a pretty ugly looking situation) and their "highly regarded" freshmen to fill in and provide depth and scoring.

I'm not sold on depending so heavily on freshmen and transfers the way they will be next year.

I think by default...it has to get better.  Doesn't it?  Maybe not.  I do remember how Gilmore and Harrel were going to come in and be major contributors and starters.  That was gold.  Gilmore blows his RS and is used to warm up the bench for a guy like Dingman.  He is looking like a solid transfer candidate for them.  Make no doubt about it..in the offseason Huff and Watson will be made out to be the next great thing.  #ShooterU

In all honesty, I really hope Zierden is OK.  He seems like a really good kid and he was playing well for them.  I hope he recovers quickly and completely.

Yep.  He's one of those kids that you love to hate because he can kill you, a la Aaron Craft, but would take on your own team in a heartbeat.

Hadn't really thought about that.  They lost 4 senior starters from last year and are set to lose a bunch more seniors this year, including Kreklow, Artino, Chatman, Dingman and Brooks (I had to look it up.)  Those have all been big contributors for them this year.  All 5 of those guys are averaging at least 17.5 minutes, which adds up to about 53% of their overall minutes.

That'll be like a whole new lineup next season with some unproven commodities for them.  And, even if they end up being good players, it'll still take half a season or more for them to really mesh and get on the same page.  But I'm sure they're quite confident about their prospects what with all the talent they have sitting out with redshirts and the high school kids they have coming in.

Really proud of those kids and the effort they put in last night.  They just never quit and play hard right until the final buzzer.  It's a real testament to the character of person Coach Mac recruits to represent Creighton University!

Creighton has always P'rioritized high character P'layers.  It's a culture thing.

Really proud of those kids and the effort they put in last night.  They just never quit and play hard right until the final buzzer.  It's a real testament to the character of person Coach Mac recruits to represent Creighton University!

Creighton has always P'rioritized high character P'layers.  It's a culture thing.

Yes.  That, and literacy.  High character and the ability to read.  They set the bar high up in Omaha.

Just to give a sense of how much more difficult it is to climb the ladder in a major conference than a mid-major, I think we can look at Creighton as an example.

Yeah, they don't have McBuckets.  But, their roster this year isn't significantly different than it was in years past when they were comfortably and consistently in the top couple of teams in their conference.

Wichita State wasn't always their primary rival.  Many of the years since the Dana Altman era at CU began, it came down to Creighton or Southern Illinois for the MVC auto bid.  Other years, Illinois State was their primary challenger.  Most recently, Wichita State emerged and has remained the pre-eminent team in the MVC.

There were years where Evansville was less than an afterthought.  I can remember reading a serious commentary where someone suggested that Evansville should just drop men's basketball because they would never be able to compete.

This year, as of right now, Evansville is higher in the Kenpom rankings than Creighton.  In fact, there are 4 teams in the MVC who currently are ranked (by Kenpom) higher than Creighton:  Evansville at #97, Illinois State at #71, Northern Iowa at #19 and Wichita State at #9.  Loyola Chicago is within striking distance of Creighton and, if Creighton continues to lose this year, could overtake the Bluejays.  If you go by those numbers, Creighton would be a very middle-of-the-pack Mo Valley team this year.

But I don't think their roster is significantly different than it ever was.  Other than the team they had the past few years -- which was widely acknowledged as their best team ever -- they pretty much have the kind of MVC roster they've always had.

And, the difference is that, night in and night out, they're playing teams in the top 100 of the Kenpom or whatever other rankings you want to look at.  If they were in the MVC, they'd only face 4 top 100 teams all conference season.

Makes a difference, doesn't it?

You know, I've always sort of liked the old Miss. Valley going back to the days when Cincinnati won two NCAA championships as a member. Wichita was my favorite team the year they had Dave Stallworth and Nate Bowman and were a final four team. Drake, Bradley, and the Billikens have also had their moments, and both Walt Frazier and Jerry Sloan came from the league. In fact, the Jays should probably petition to get readmitted.

You know, I've always sort of liked the old Miss. Valley going back to the days when Cincinnati won two NCAA championships as a member. Wichita was my favorite team the year they had Dave Stallworth and Nate Bowman and were a final four team. Drake, Bradley, and the Billikens have also had their moments, and both Walt Frazier and Jerry Sloan came from the league. In fact, the Jays should probably petition to get readmitted.

And, Larry Bird & Oscar Robertson...

Nice of the Eastern Omaha Jaybirds to actually score more points than someone else. I saw the last minute vs St John's while perusing the channels, so this one turned into Crayton's 1st win since Dec. 19th.

Heard on the radio the other day an over/under for CU at 2.5 wins, and the commentator chose 3. So, 1 down for Eastern Omaha, 2 to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhat interesting conversation on 1620:

1620 - Unsportsmanlike Conduct:  Feb 11 Seg 10: Josh is Getting His Car Back!

http://cdn.stationcaster.com/stations/kozn/media/mp3/Feb_11_Seg_10__Josh_is_Getting_His_Car_Back_-1423697580.mp3

(24:45)

John and josh have some breaking news on Josh's ridiculous car situation. Plus, has your outlook on Creighton or Nebraska hoops changed after this year? We get plenty of feedback from listeners.

1620 - Unsportsmanlike Conduct:  Feb 11 Seg 11: Creighton/Nebraska Basketball Future

http://cdn.stationcaster.com/stations/kozn/media/mp3/Feb_11_Seg_11__Creighton_Nebraska_Basketball_Future-1423698805.mp3

(14:33)

John and Josh continue the basketball discussion from last segment. Who's future is brighter? Is Nebrasketball still a 'filler' sport at that school? The jackals weigh in.

Somewhat interesting conversation on 1620:

1620 - Unsportsmanlike Conduct:  Feb 11 Seg 10: Josh is Getting His Car Back!

http://cdn.stationcaster.com/stations/kozn/media/mp3/Feb_11_Seg_10__Josh_is_Getting_His_Car_Back_-1423697580.mp3

(24:45)

John and josh have some breaking news on Josh's ridiculous car situation. Plus, has your outlook on Creighton or Nebraska hoops changed after this year? We get plenty of feedback from listeners.

1620 - Unsportsmanlike Conduct:  Feb 11 Seg 11: Creighton/Nebraska Basketball Future

http://cdn.stationcaster.com/stations/kozn/media/mp3/Feb_11_Seg_11__Creighton_Nebraska_Basketball_Future-1423698805.mp3

(14:33)

John and Josh continue the basketball discussion from last segment. Who's future is brighter? Is Nebrasketball still a 'filler' sport at that school? The jackals weigh in.

Wait... is this why I can't stand the "state" of Omaha?