Tre-deon Hollins

Tre-deon Hollins on 1620 talking about playing in college.  Said he needs to get his ACT score up and just needs someone to take a chance on him.   Also said he would love to "play in red" next year.  Also said he could lock up Trey Burke if he got the chance.  Kid doesn't lack for confidence.

Does the APR thing apply to everybody on the team or just your scholarship athletes? What if a player like this with no other opportunities makes his minimum test score requirements? Do you ever take a chance on a guy like this? Do you offer him the opportunity to walk-on and tell him to earn his scholarship? Both academically and on the court?

Walk-ons don't affect your APR.  It's just the scholarship dudes.  Walk-ons can come and go.

I think juco or prep school would be a good option because he'll be able to prove himself against higher competition than what he would have played against in Nebraska.  Akoy is obviously different.  But if Tre-deon wants to go D1 and especially if he wants to come here, he's going to need to prove more than he has yet and he doesn't have time to do it in HS anymore.  So, take the next step.

Does the APR thing apply to everybody on the team or just your scholarship athletes? What if a player like this with no other opportunities makes his minimum test score requirements? Do you ever take a chance on a guy like this? Do you offer him the opportunity to walk-on and tell him to earn his scholarship? Both academically and on the court?

he'd have to qualify academically before he could even play so juco or NAIA would be the only route for him more than likely.

he'd have to qualify academically before he could even play so juco or NAIA would be the only route for him more than likely.

As long as we are in an inquiring mode here, I've been curious, Kamdy, on how the rules for prep schools and jucos relate to each other. In other words, if I'm a recruit and have some academic issues, what would be the reasons for choosing a prep school over a juco and vice versa?

As long as we are in an inquiring mode here, I've been curious, Kamdy, on how the rules for prep schools and jucos relate to each other. In other words, if I'm a recruit and have some academic issues, what would be the reasons for choosing a prep school over a juco and vice versa?

Most of the time prep schools anymore are for the competition.  Kids used to use them to extend themselves another year for growth and/or academics but the NCAA changed the rule going forward that kids cannot reclassify for any reason to go to a prep school.  This year was the last year you could do so which is why you saw Tory Miller, a player nebraska is on, reclassify to get another year.  This will more than likely push more talented players the JuCo route which requires players to complete their associates degree at that point to transfer to a NCAA school which on average takes 2 years.

Walk-ons don't affect your APR. It's just the scholarship dudes. Walk-ons can come and go.

I think juco or prep school would be a good option because he'll be able to prove himself against higher competition than what he would have played against in Nebraska. Akoy is obviously different. But if Tre-deon wants to go D1 and especially if he wants to come here, he's going to need to prove more than he has yet and he doesn't have time to do it in HS anymore. So, take the next step.

Ok that brings up another question. Since Menke has been both what happens if he doesn't graduate? Is it a ding to our APR even if he only had a scholarship for 1 of his 4 seasons?

Most of the time prep schools anymore are for the competition.  Kids used to use them to extend themselves another year for growth and/or academics but the NCAA changed the rule going forward that kids cannot reclassify for any reason to go to a prep school.  This year was the last year you could do so which is why you saw Tory Miller, a player nebraska is on, reclassify to get another year.  This will more than likely push more talented players the JuCo route which requires players to complete their associates degree at that point to transfer to a NCAA school which on average takes 2 years.

Thanks. Very interesting.

Thanks. Very interesting.

It will be interesting in 3 years for sure.  They stopped the reclassification rule going forward as well as incoming HS freshman have tougher academic requirements in their core classes which should really push more kids than there already is to JuCo's unless they are ok with sitting out a year and losing that year of eligibility to get their grades up.

NEW NCAA REQUIREMENTS

Here are the new NCAA Division I Initial-Eligibility Requirements beginning August 1, 2016

2.3 GPA (up from 2.0)

Complete 16 core courses, 10 before the seventh semester

Meet SAT or ACT sliding scale requirements. Example: For a 2.3 GPA, a student must have a 1080 on the SAT or a 93 on the ACT

If any of the above requirements are not met a student-athlete will not be eligible to compete, but will still be eligible to receive athletics aid

The 16 core courses are: 4 years of English, 3 years of Mathematics (Algebra I or higher), 2 years of natural/physical science (1 year of lab if offered by school), 1 year of additional English, mathematics or natural/physical science, 2 years of social science, 4 years of additional courses (from any area above, foreign language or comparative religion/philosophy)

Walk-ons don't affect your APR. It's just the scholarship dudes. Walk-ons can come and go.

I think juco or prep school would be a good option because he'll be able to prove himself against higher competition than what he would have played against in Nebraska. Akoy is obviously different. But if Tre-deon wants to go D1 and especially if he wants to come here, he's going to need to prove more than he has yet and he doesn't have time to do it in HS anymore. So, take the next step.

Ok that brings up another question. Since Menke has been both what happens if he doesn't graduate? Is it a ding to our APR even if he only had a scholarship for 1 of his 4 seasons?

I would think we specifically gave the scholarship to Menke because he will graduate and it will help our APR.  If we have another schollie to burn next year I think Peltz gets it assuming he's on pace to graduate in addition to his playing time.

Not sure what the NCAA's justification was for changing the rule about reclassifying.  What does it hurt for a kid to get another year of growth before they start their eligibility clocks in college?  If they attend juco, that clock starts.  If they enroll in a 4 year school, that clock starts.  Some kids just aren't ready.  Take Matt Atewe.  He hasn't been playing basketball that long.  A year of prep school is important for him.

If they're worried about the lack of academic rigor at prep schools, then do something to fix that.  But don't force a kid who's not ready yet to start his eligibility clock ticking.  This rule change is probably going to hurt the prep schools and make the jucos a lot more fertile recruiting area once again.

Not sure what the NCAA's justification was for changing the rule about reclassifying.  What does it hurt for a kid to get another year of growth before they start their eligibility clocks in college?  If they attend juco, that clock starts.  If they enroll in a 4 year school, that clock starts.  Some kids just aren't ready.  Take Matt Atewe.  He hasn't been playing basketball that long.  A year of prep school is important for him.

If they're worried about the lack of academic rigor at prep schools, then do something to fix that.  But don't force a kid who's not ready yet to start his eligibility clock ticking.  This rule change is probably going to hurt the prep schools and make the jucos a lot more fertile recruiting area once again.

So should a player be able to wait until he's 25 and entering his athletic prime before starting his eligibility clock? Extreme - I know.

But seriously, how does it work? If a potential recruit seeks other endeavors (say, minor league baseball), he's still able to come back and play 4 years when he decides to, right?

most kids are making the jump earlier to prep schools and starting there from day one or maybe after their sophomore year.  Not as many senior year defections as there used to be.  The NCAA is trying to stop kids that academically needed that extra year and could use the prep school to get the grades they need while also still being able to play basketball.  The NCAA doesnt want to award a player for not getting the grades in 4 years by getting a 5th to still play and not start your clock in the process.  I think it puts more on the players to focus more on the student aspect of student-athlete.  It also puts everyone on a level playing field going forward.  You wont have 20 year old freshmen like Mitch McGary after 5 years of high school like you have now.  For kids that need another year to mature, get better, etc they can still go to a JUCO for a one year and transfer if they were qualified out of high school so they still have the chance to grow but now its under your clock.

A while back I heard a conversation on the morning show on 1620, I believe, talking about how lax the eligibility requirements were to play at OPS schools.  Maybe that's an area that could be addressed.  If students are held to a higher standard at the HS level, perhaps fewer players would have grade issues when getting into college.  Just a thought.

I think there's another rule that addresses the age by which they have to start their career and I think it's 25.  So, if a guy goes off and enlists in the Air Force after high school, he can come back and play basketball so long as he gets things going before that age.  I can't remember who, but one of our old Big 8 brethren had a player who had done just that -- enlisted in the Air Force, stayed there a few years, and then went to college and played ball.  Nebraska has recruited football players who spent time in the military before starting college.  Trying to remember the name of the kid, but we had a kid who was a 3rd string running back in the 90s who was 25.

Prep schools generally have a post-graduate year that they offer.  It's available to all students, not just athletes.  Not sure what the rationale is for denying kids an extra year to improve themselves before their clock begins ticking.  That's a pretty unforgiving eligibility clock.  Once it starts, it doesn't stop.  Under limited circumstances, you can add time but, other than a redshirt, no guarantees.  If a kid graduates HS at 17 (like Brandon Ubel) he's no longer able to spend a year in prep school and competes straight up with kids who graduate HS at age 19, which some do.

I think there's another rule that addresses the age by which they have to start their career and I think it's 25.  So, if a guy goes off and enlists in the Air Force after high school, he can come back and play basketball so long as he gets things going before that age.  I can't remember who, but one of our old Big 8 brethren had a player who had done just that -- enlisted in the Air Force, stayed there a few years, and then went to college and played ball.  Nebraska has recruited football players who spent time in the military before starting college.  Trying to remember the name of the kid, but we had a kid who was a 3rd string running back in the 90s who was 25.

Jay Sims?

We also had a back-up defensive player a few years ago who was an ex-military guy well into his twenties.

Not 100% sure but pretty sure he does not count since he was not a recruited athlete.