Jess

Row6Seat10

Jessica Shepard is a 6-foot-4 forward at Lincoln Southeast (Neb.),

the No. 23 prospect in the 2015 class and a Nebraska recruit. Shepard

scored 26 points and grabbed 19 rebounds in the state championship game

to lead Southeast to its 10th state title earlier this month. She shares

some of her secrets in this edition of “Meet The Prospects.”

http://espn.go.com/espnw/hoopgurlz/9026532/nebraska-recruit-jessica-shepard-adds-career-highlight-winning-state-championship

Congratulations to Jessica. She was named the 2013 Nebraska High School Girls Basketball Gatorade Player of the Year today.

http://www.gatorade.com/poy/assets/writable/14533/2012-13_GK_JShepard.pdf

Somebody send a copy of this to Gessel, Elliason, Eikmeier and Hill the 4 previous boys winners from Nebraska.

At least somebody from Nebraska will stay here so we can cheer FOR them not against!

She's 6'4" now?  When did that happen?  Be great to see both her AND Havers in the Husker S&C program and what they'll be able to do with those girls physically.

Suspect it didn't happen.  She doesn't look 6'4" to me....one way to tell is to stand her next to her brother, who started at East the past couple of years; he's a liegitimate 6'5".   How schools list players' height and weight has always been fascinating.

And in what parallel universe does the Kastanek girl deserve co-Captain status of the All-State team with Jess Shepard?  Even the Southeast coach in her comments on each kid called Jess the best player in the state.  I mean, the Kastanek kid is obviously a good player in her own right.  But 25 points and 12 rebounds good?  Nope.  Not even.  Shoulda been Shepard.  Period.

• 2 months later...

Here is Jessica's evaluation from the North Tartan Summer Jam held in Minneapolis two weeks ago.

Jessica Shepard (Lincoln, Neb.), CSS Bison - 2015

Shepard, the 6-3 class of 2015 combo forward that is committed to Nebraska, has all of the tools to be effective for the rest of her time in high school and at the next level. She plays the point-forward role for her CSS Bison team and does a very good job mixing the facilitator role with a more aggressive offensive approach. Shepard can create offense for others and herself and as a result projects into an elite level college prospect. In addition to her offensive prowess, Shepard is a very good rebounder who consistently pursues the ball.

• 1 month later...

I see her projecting as a post in college.  She has terrific size and can play both with her back to the basket or facing up.  Her skill set is +++ for playing inside.  She might have the skills to play 3 at the next level but I'm not sure if she's sufficiently quick to play there in the college game.  Why force a square peg into a round hole when she's a natural 4 or 5?

I see her projecting as a post in college.  She has terrific size and can play both with her back to the basket or facing up.  Her skill set is +++ for playing inside.  She might have the skills to play 3 at the next level but I'm not sure if she's sufficiently quick to play there in the college game.  Why force a square peg into a round hole when she's a natural 4 or 5?

good post, Norm.  I agree.

I think when the coaches go out and recruit they look at the senior class graduating and try to find replacements for those players that are graduating. When Jess gets here she's most likely sitting on the big board to replace one of three graduating posts (Cady, Sample or Simon). Thus, I also agree with Norm that she will play as a 4 or maybe 5 but most likely the 4 if Allie Havers develops like we all hope.  Jess and Kaylee Page are going to be just dynamite playing together.  

In Nebraska's system, a 4 plays outside at least some of the time. Which is why Shepard's a good fit for Nebraska. 

My sense is Nebraska intends to recruit a post or two in this 2014 class. 

• 2 months later...

more true than people might think.  get a big recruit early is important from the stand point that players attract players.  it really comes down to 3 things as far as the game goes. they want playing time, they want to have fun and they want to win.  if i'm Miss Lanie and i see Miss Kaylee and Miss Jess then throw myself into the equation, i can easily see a winner.  playing time and fun are all that is left and i bet they had a bunch of fun together.