Schedule next year: could we have a worse con record next year?

Hear me NOW and believe me later. We win 10 games in Conference and put our dancin' shoes back on. You're splitting hairs discussing wins over the dregs of the league. WE will become the opponent people fear, not vice versa.

Tim Miles remarked to a few boosters recently that he's concerned about fan expectations for next season being unrealistic. Losing Ubel and Talley will really hurt, we have no big men who can really play a traditional 4 or 5 role, and we have a ton of young, inexperienced players coming in. 

The staff definitely believes that it's possible that we actually could have a worse record next season than we do this season.

Optimism can be fun, but it's very difficult for me, at least, to fathom a scenario in which Nebraska wins 10 B1G games next year. There's just no logical basis I can see for such a prediction.

I find it hard to believe that a staff that believed they could win 8 games this year, fears that we will be worse next year.  May I ask where you got that info?

I'd rather not say where I got it, but the main gist of what was said was that fans should be realistic in their expectations given that we lose the team's leading scorer as well as the team's only true post players. Half of next year's scholarship roster will never have played in a B1G game before. There's only one scholarship senior on next year's team, and only two juniors, one of whom is a JUCO transfer who's only played in an exhibition game. It's going to be an extremely young team made up of mostly freshmen and sophomores.

Next season is a huge wildcard. No one here really knows quite what to expect. How could we with so many new variables in the mix? I'm not saying the staff has a doom and gloom view toward next season, because that's not at all what I've heard -- just that they do have a bit of trepidation about how things will come together next year with so many new young faces in the mix and the team's only two real post players having departed.

That's it?  Think about the questions we had coming into this year.  They were much bigger than the ones we'll be facing next.

Hear me NOW and believe me later. We win 10 games in Conference and put our dancin' shoes back on. You're splitting hairs discussing wins over the dregs of the league. WE will become the opponent people fear, not vice versa.

Tim Miles remarked to a few boosters recently that he's concerned about fan expectations for next season being unrealistic. Losing Ubel and Talley will really hurt, we have no big men who can really play a traditional 4 or 5 role, and we have a ton of young, inexperienced players coming in. 

The staff definitely believes that it's possible that we actually could have a worse record next season than we do this season.

Optimism can be fun, but it's very difficult for me, at least, to fathom a scenario in which Nebraska wins 10 B1G games next year. There's just no logical basis I can see for such a prediction.

I find it hard to believe that a staff that believed they could win 8 games this year, fears that we will be worse next year.  May I ask where you got that info?

It was the seniors who had a goal of winning 8 games in conference and Miles said it was on the coaching staff to find a way to do this.  Never heard the coaches say how many games they thought the team could win in conference or the non-conference.

I'd rather not say where I got it, but the main gist of what was said was that fans should be realistic in their expectations given that we lose the team's leading scorer as well as the team's only true post players. Half of next year's scholarship roster will never have played in a B1G game before. There's only one scholarship senior on next year's team, and only two juniors, one of whom is a JUCO transfer who's only played in an exhibition game. It's going to be an extremely young team made up of mostly freshmen and sophomores.

Next season is a huge wildcard. No one here really knows quite what to expect. How could we with so many new variables in the mix? I'm not saying the staff has a doom and gloom view toward next season, because that's not at all what I've heard -- just that they do have a bit of trepidation about how things will come together next year with so many new young faces in the mix and the team's only two real post players having departed.

I think that's about the size of it.  That's sorta what I've been thinking.

I've mentioned it a couple of times, but do the SEC and Big 12 not count as significant experience?  I know Pitchford and Petteway weren't mainstays for their teams, but that's not Summit League or MEAC teams they're playing.  Petteway played 13 minutes a game last year.  That's not insignificant.

That's it?  Think about the questions we had coming into this year.  They were much bigger than the ones we'll be facing next.

There are five spots on the floor and coming into this season, we had a guy to plug into each of those spots.  We had a PG (Benny), a SG (Ray), a SF (Dylan), a PF (Ubes) and a Post (Andre).  Now there's been some fluctuation.  We've pushed Benny and Andre out of the starting rotation and plugged Dylan into the PG spot, moved Brandon to Post and inserted Rivers and Shields into the lineup.  But we still have all 5 spots covered.

Who do we replace Ubel (and Andre) with going into next season?  Vooch?  Well, maybe.  I hear he's on the practice squad that routinely beats the starters.  But I tend to want to believe my lyin' eyes on that one.  And who is going to replace Talley?  He's a guy who plays D, can guard opposing guards and wings because of his size, can get to the rim and can hit the outside shot.  I think you're hopin' for a lot from Mr. Biggs.

I've mentioned it a couple of times, but do the SEC and Big 12 not count as significant experience?  I know Pitchford and Petteway weren't mainstays for their teams, but that's not Summit League or MEAC teams they're playing.  Petteway played 13 minutes a game last year.  That's not insignificant.

How many minutes did Pitchford have?

Season GP-GS MP FGM-FGA PCT. 3PT-ATT PCT. FT-FTA PCT. REB AVG. A TO BS ST PF-DQ TP AV.
2011-12 13-0    22       3-11   .273         0-3    .000        0-0   .000    4     0.3    1  1   1    0     5-0      6  0.5

Not many.  But that's not my point.  He's been in, now, two big time conferences, and two coaching staffs at that level, saw time in one of them, including in the NCAA tourney on a team that finished a game from the Final Four and was playing behind three experienced players in the paint for the Gators.  It's not like he's coming in from Binghampton, there is a difference, that's all I'm saying.

There are five spots on the floor and coming into this season, we had a guy to plug into each of those spots.  We had a PG (Benny), a SG (Ray), a SF (Dylan), a PF (Ubes) and a Post (Andre).  Now there's been some fluctuation.  We've pushed Benny and Andre out of the starting rotation and plugged Dylan into the PG spot, moved Brandon to Post and inserted Rivers and Shields into the lineup.  But we still have all 5 spots covered.

Who do we replace Ubel (and Andre) with going into next season?  Vooch?  Well, maybe.  I hear he's on the practice squad that routinely beats the starters.  But I tend to want to believe my lyin' eyes on that one.  And who is going to replace Talley?  He's a guy who plays D, can guard opposing guards and wings because of his size, can get to the rim and can hit the outside shot.  I think you're hopin' for a lot from Mr. Biggs.

What had we seen Ray do that gave us any hope he'd be a significant, capable contibutor?  What about Talley thought he'd be the rock that he's been?  Everyone thought Ubel was nothing more than a role player and we were asking an undersized freshman to play the point.  C'mon now, your eyes hadn't seen any of those guys fill the roles they've filled either and the guys we'll be asking to be answers to these questions are thought to be more talented than the guys they're replacing, on the whole, right?  

I'm not asking a lot from Biggs, I'm asking a lot from the group.  It's not going to be a complete roster, I'm not claiming it is, but I do think it will be better than the one we've got now, and generally, that leads to better results, not a guarantee, but I'll take the more talented roster every single time.

Some of you are overrating how good other B1G teams will be next year. Depending on who all goes pro, a bunch of teams will be much weaker next year.

I believe these teams will be weaker next year:

Indiana

Wisconsin

You could argue that every other team in the B1G could be better next year. Which teams aside from the two above do you expect to be substantially weaker next year?

We seem to be putting a lot of weight on the shoulders of three or four true freshmen and 3 guys who haven't played an actual game in over a year.  I expect next year's record to be similar to this year's, but the style of basketball and natural talent on the court will see a huge improvement.  Naturally, not showing any improvement record-wise will lead to some idiots to start calling for Miles' head.  :rolleyes:

If you are expecting a huge leap in year two, I'd recommend tampering your expectations.  Ubel and Talley are going to be bigger losses than they appear

1. I'm assuming the last 2 guys Miles signs will be impact players, with one of them starting in the post.

2. Adding 3-4 REAL shooters on this team will make a huge difference.

3. The B1G won't be as top heavy next year & looses players like Paul, Thomas, Oladeipo & Zeller.

If each of those factors is worth a +2 in wins, that gets you to 10 from where we are now.

Plus, I live in Mpls. and am tired of taking s**t about our Basketball team.

We seem to be putting a lot of weight on the shoulders of three or four true freshmen and 3 guys who haven't played an actual game in over a year.  I expect next year's record to be similar to this year's, but the style of basketball and natural talent on the court will see a huge improvement.  Naturally, not showing any improvement record-wise will lead to some idiots to start calling for Miles' head:rolleyes:

If you are expecting a huge leap in year two, I'd recommend tampering your expectations.  Ubel and Talley are going to be bigger losses than they appear

Yep.  I think so too.

We seem to be putting a lot of weight on the shoulders of three or four true freshmen and 3 guys who haven't played an actual game in over a year.  I expect next year's record to be similar to this year's, but the style of basketball and natural talent on the court will see a huge improvement.  Naturally, not showing any improvement record-wise will lead to some idiots to start calling for Miles' head:rolleyes:

Yep.  I think so too.

That is probably true at the start of next season but hopefully as the season goes on, it won't be the case once the incoming class starts gaining some experience. 

Still need a big.  Still need to find that guy who can handle the ball and get to the rim or shoot the 3 depending on which option opens up.  Don't see anyone on our current roster who does what Talley does.  Doubt any of the freshmen bring that, or the transfers, but we'll see.  We'll find other ways of getting points, but it sure is nice having a guy who can drive it and can shoot it.

We said the same thing last year about Lance Jeter and how are we going to replace him as he was the only one who could get to the rim when he wanted to.  Turns out Talley replaced him.  I'm not comparing the two players but just saying that players will find their role next year.  I think Biggs can handle the ball and get to the rim when needed and/or shoot the 3.  Beyond having 1 more big man, I really like how our team shapes up for next season (young or not).

I don't know about Biggs shooting the 3 but I agree with you about players finding their roles.  I mean, we'll figure out a way to get points somehow, but with the shot clock winding down, it's nice having a guy like Talley who can drive it or shoot the perimeter J.  He's gotten a lot of points in or near the paint driving to the basket with stale shot clocks.  What I was saying is that it'll be nice if one of these other kids shows that kind of ability.  It'd be nice to have.  But we still have to find who that guy might be because I don't think there's an obvious candidate yet.

And I'll feel more comfortable if we land a post who can come in and start from day 1.

1. I'm assuming the last 2 guys Miles signs will be impact players, with one of them starting in the post.

3. The B1G won't be as top heavy next year & looses players like Paul, Thomas, Oladeipo & Zeller.

If each of those factors is worth a +2 in wins, that gets you to 10 from where we are now.

Plus, I live in Mpls. and am tired of taking s**t about our Basketball team.

>>> I'm not so sure Miles will even sign two more players in this class. If we get Matt Atewe, my bet is that we close up shop for this class unless they can find a really good big somewhere who can help immediately at the 4 or 5. We have a scholarship imbalance right now in the program that needs to be addressed. I'm not sure it's a great idea to take 5 in 2013 and follow it up with only 1 or 2 in 2014, especially given the caliber of player we might be able to land in the early period later this year. So, what I'm saying is that your assumption that Miles will add two more impact players in this class is very much in doubt IMO.

>>> I agree, and I expect us to be a higher scoring, more explosive offensive team, but losing our top scorer will hurt. Talley's playing at a very high level right now and accounting for a very high percentage of the offense. This point, to me, is the best point you made regarding why we're likely to at least have more B1G wins next year.

3. The B1G won't be as top heavy next year & looses players like Paul, Thomas, Oladipo & Zeller.

>>> While some teams at the top, like Indiana and Wisconsin, will take a step back, it looks to me like the overwhelming majority of B1G teams will be better next year, so the Conference as a whole may be even tougher.

Just realize that when you're saying you think we can get 10 wins next season, you're not only basically saying we're going to finish ahead of Purdue, Iowa, Northwestern and Penn State, but also likely ahead of Illinois, Minnesota or both.

2012-2013 B1G Wins as of 3/5/13

Illinois (8 conf. wins this year)

Minnesota (8 conf. wins this year)

Iowa (8 conf. wins this year)

Purdue (7 conf. wins this year)

Northwestern (4 conf. wins this year)

Penn State (1 conf. win this year)

I'm tired of having a bad basketball team too, but I'm trying to be cautious about my expectations for next year because I don't believe this team will quite be ready for prime time. My opinion is that a winning record and an NIT invitation would represent a trajectory for the program that should satisfy fans and indicate that things are moving in the right direction.

Well, I understand totally what you're saying about balancing classes, Hooper.  That's one of the reasons I believe it makes a world of sense to bring in a graduate transfer as a 1 year player for us for next year.  Hopefully we can find such a player and hopefully he's a quality big.

Having said that, I'm not sure that coaches are all that concerned about balancing classes and may go for bringing in the best talent we can find right now.  No sense making reaches on anyone, but if we can find a kid who is not a reach and could prospectively contribute, then you probably get what you can now.

I'd like to see us have at least 2 spots to offer for the next class.  Better yet, even 3.  I just don't know if that will happen.  And if we can find a guy who can come in and start in the low post for us next year, we better grab him.

Well, I understand totally what you're saying about balancing classes, Hooper.  That's one of the reasons I believe it makes a world of sense to bring in a graduate transfer as a 1 year player for us for next year.  Hopefully we can find such a player and hopefully he's a quality big.

Having said that, I'm not sure that coaches are all that concerned about balancing classes and may go for bringing in the best talent we can find right now.  No sense making reaches on anyone, but if we can find a kid who is not a reach and could prospectively contribute, then you probably get what you can now.

I'd like to see us have at least 2 spots to offer for the next class.  Better yet, even 3.  I just don't know if that will happen.  And if we can find a guy who can come in and start in the low post for us next year, we better grab him.

I agree with what you're saying. Balancing classes is not at all the biggest concern, but it is a concern, because as a program, that imbalance isn't conducive to roster stability from one year to the next.

Also, you could argue that there's a lot more quality to be found in the early period for 2014 than there is in the late period for 2013. I know Miles isn't a fan of JUCOs. He's said as much. So, we're either talking about a one-year grad transfer, which would be fantastic, since he wouldn't impact 2014 scholarship numbers, or a high school kid, which seems unlikely given the lack of known targets outside of Atewe.

I still see the most likely scenario as being one in which we get Matthew Atewe and bank the other scholarship for next year. If we could get a grad transfer, that would be great, but there will be a lot of competition out there for the good ones with size.