New AD: Troy Dannen

Stability among the coaching staff seems like a great gift to Dannen from Dennis Leblanc. Extending both the basketball coach contracts seems like terrific work on the part of our interim AD. Still, I am somewhat surprised he wasn't hired first so that he could have some hand in those decisions even if it was just putting his name on the announcement.

I'm guessing both basketball coach's contracts were extended soon after TA left to give a look to the public that someone at UNL was still moving things forward even without a president or AD.   The 7 month long president search and quick departure of an AD with Husker ties and a recent contract upgrade/extension was a bad look.   Something else needed to be in the news from Husker leadership.   

I’m a bit pessimistic on this hire. 

1. He didn’t build Washington’s success, he inherited it. 
2. Always be leery of hires that spent less than a year at their previous stop. Are they running away from something that hasn’t hit the news cycle yet? 
3. He verbally crapped on Nebraska less than a year ago. Could have chose literally any bridge to burn and he chose us. But we hired him anyway. 

Put it together and it looks like a bad hire to me. He’s a guy whose success was earned by others, who hasn’t even unpacked his bags from his last move, and has no personal affinity towards DONU. 

11 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

2. Always be leery of hires that spent less than a year at their previous stop. Are they running away from something that hasn’t hit the news cycle yet? 
3. He verbally crapped on Nebraska less than a year ago. Could have chose literally any bridge to burn and he chose us. But we hired him anyway. 

Put it together and it looks like a bad hire to me. He’s a guy whose success was earned by others, who hasn’t even unpacked his bags from his last move, and has no personal affinity towards DONU. 

Not advocating for the guy but his rebuild work was done at Northern Iowa and Tulane.

As far as the short stint at Washington, seems like it was a good job in a location that wasn't his first choice. I don't believe his family had moved out there yet so he jumped at heading here. 

21 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Did he crap on us? The sound bite I heard made it seem like he felt Nebraska was a place that used to be great (specifically football) and can get back there again.

32 minutes ago, Vinny said:

Did he crap on us? The sound bite I heard made it seem like he felt Nebraska was a place that used to be great (specifically football) and can get back there again.

Opposite. He was referring to Washington as a place that had climbed the proverbial mountain, and thus could do it again. He used Nebraska as an example of a has been to contrast with Washington. 

1 minute ago, aphilso1 said:

Opposite. He was referring to Washington as a place that had climbed the proverbial mountain, and thus could do it again. He used Nebraska as an example of a has been to contrast with Washington. 

This parts correct. He did preface it with "Not to pick on Nebraska." If that's the level of being "crapped on" that he did I think we can forgive him or grow some thicker skin 😂

1 hour ago, Quiet Man said:

Not to many pressing changes need to be made. He should be able to focus on fundraising for a while, I dont hate this choice.

$$$$$$$$$

That's what will be needed for South Stadium, it will be very interesting to see how that one evolves.