Is Hoiberg the coach of this team next year?

huskerbill85

17 hours ago, brfrad said:

At this point, I'm not sure if we brought in Jesus,  if he would be able to turn it around.

Are you kidding me? I'm not knocking my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, he did give us the gift of so-called humor...

4 reasons why Jesus would win national coach of the year award every year.

1)  He resurrected a dead man after 4 days in the grave.  Resurrecting Husker basketball is a piece of cake.

2)  Wine would come out of every drinking fountain at PBA.  Full house every game.

3)  Free fish sandwiches. All the wine and food you can eat on the house, and finally,

4)  He cast a legion of demons into a herd of bluejays.

And my answer to the original question is yes, I think Hoiberg will be the head coach next season.  Don't know why, don't know if it's justified, I guess we'll see in the next few weeks.  And as always, GBR!

9 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

Are you kidding me? I'm not knocking my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, he did give us the gift of so-called humor...

1)  He resurrected a dead man after 4 days in the grave.  Resurrecting Husker basketball is a piece of cake.

2)  Wine would come out of every drinking fountain at PBA.  Full house every game.

3)  Free fish sandwiches. All the wine and food you can eat on the house, and finally,

And my answer to the original question is yes, I think Hoiberg will be the head coach next season.  Don't know why, don't know if it's justified, I guess we'll see in the next few weeks.  And as always, GBR!

excellent sales job, cip. Free fish sandwiches gets me every time....:) 

4 hours ago, basketballjones said:

There is absolutely no possible way this is an accurate or correct statement. 

Based on our history it is. You think a successful blue blood coach would recommend an up and comer take this job? I don't. 

Based on facilities, fan support, quality of life in Lincoln. No it is not the worst power 6 job. You are correct. 

My statement was oversimplified. 

7 hours ago, 49r said:

Yeah, I would have to agree with this.  In spite of our abysmal post season record, we aren't anywhere near the bottom...probably not even in the bottom half really.

Definitely closer to the worst than top half.

-Limited recruiting base.

-Zero historical success. 

-3rd priority at best in Athletic Dept.

-2nd fiddle basketball program in own state.

4 hours ago, cipsucks said:

I think Jesus would pattern his uniforms on Hampton's in the 70's, it would be a huge advantage:

image.png

On 12/6/2023 at 10:50 PM, imnothipp said:

We are the worst power 6 job.

Here's a comparison with other lower P6 programs. I assume that we beat ALL of them on $$$ and facilities. Advantages for our closest competitors:

BIG

Northwestern:  Good recruiting base, recent success, otherwise poor history

Penn State: Ditto

Rutgers: Ditto

ACC

Boston College: 3 Elite Eights, good recruiting base

Big 12

Central Florida: Good recruiting base, not sure about their facilities and $$$. Former D2 powerhouse, has won just one NCAA tournament game (2019)

Pac-12

Washington State: Poor local recruiting base, with Seattle nearby. Fairly poor history, although they made a Sweet 16 in 2008.

Cal: Good recruiting base, disinterested fans. Rich history with 19 NCAAs, a national championship and 3 FFs.

Big East

DePaul: Good recruiting base, rich history (though abysmal for last 20 years)

Washington State and UCF seem to be the closest comp.

6 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Here's a comparison with other lower P6 programs. I assume that we beat ALL of them on $$$ and facilities. Advantages for our closest competitors:

BIG

ACC

Big 12

Central Florida: Good recruiting base, not sure about their facilities and $$$. Former D2 powerhouse, has won just one NCAA tournament game (2019)

Pac-12

Washington State: Poor local recruiting base, with Seattle nearby. Fairly poor history, although they made a Sweet 16 in 2008.

Cal: Good recruiting base, disinterested fans. Rich history with 19 NCAAs, a national championship and 3 FFs.

Big East

Notable former Washington State coaches:

Tony Bennett

Dick Bennett

Kelvin Sampson

George Raveling

10 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

BIG

ACC

Big 12

Pac-12

Big East

I get the vibe Penn State views and spends money on basketball like we do. Can spend a little if they want, but all of it is primarily for football. If throw throw a couple good years together to get some fans excited great, but that means there's also a chance the coach leaves for a higher pedigree program at that point too. 

2 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

BIG

ACC

Big 12

Pac-12

Big East

So our best comparisons are a team that is in its 1st season as a P6 and one that is in its last season as a P6. 

Not the neighborhood you want to be in. 

25 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

A “hot” young coach may be reluctant to come to NU.  Didn’t Byrne try to entice Bill Self to come from Tulsa?  IF Hoiberg goes we will need a highly self-confident coach to come to Lincoln.

Bill Byrne flew down to Tulsa and then apparently didn't foot the bill for the barbecue that night.

https://omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/teams/mens-basketball/barfknecht-why-kansas-coach-bill-self-turned-down-a-1-million-offer-from-husker-basketball/article_ed67359a-c080-59ef-8cc6-158dfdc731ca.html

Nobody should be donating to 1890 unless and until they put a stipulation in their contracts that players being sponsored by 1890 aren't allowed to show up at a Husker sporting event wearing the logo, colors or gear associated with one of our rivals. You wear our shit or you don't go. Or you can just not get paid, bitch.

18 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

I think Jesus would pattern his uniforms on Hampton's in the 70's, it would be a huge advantage:

image.png

Don't recognize the player or the uniform.  The gym looks like  Hordville, but I don't remember windows in that gym. All I know the acoustics were horrible and that place was loud. The only other possibilities are Marquette, Bradshaw and the piece of crap gym in Monroe.  By the looks of the people in the stands, I'm guessing this had to be in the late 60's to very early 70's.  I believe it was 1972, Hampton got new uniforms which had the number inside a circle with a vertical stripe running through it. Did the Baltimore Bullets have that jersey? Anyway, thanks for the walk down memory lane!

3 hours ago, cipsucks said:

Don't recognize the player or the uniform.  The gym looks like  Hordville, but I don't remember windows in that gym. All I know the acoustics were horrible and that place was loud. The only other possibilities are Marquette, Bradshaw and the piece of crap gym in Monroe.  By the looks of the people in the stands, I'm guessing this had to be in the late 60's to very early 70's.  I believe it was 1972, Hampton got new uniforms which had the number inside a circle with a vertical stripe running through it. Did the Baltimore Bullets have that jersey? Anyway, thanks for the walk down memory lane!

Nicely done!  It was a game at Hordville, in 1976.  And yes, the acoustics have always been bad in there.

image.png

10 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Nicely done!  It was a game at Hordville, in 1976.  And yes, the acoustics have always been bad in there.

image.png

Strong shoe and sock game by players while ref appears to be wearing dress shoes and sporting a tatoo. Lots to take in from this photo.

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Nobody should be donating to 1890 unless and until they put a stipulation in their contracts that players being sponsored by 1890 aren't allowed to show up at a Husker sporting event wearing the logo, colors or gear associated with one of our rivals. You wear our shit or you don't go. Or you can just not get paid, bitch.

Actually, I'll go a step further. If you are under contract with 1890, you should not wear the colors or logo associated with ANY other program in public, whether you're at an NU event or not. And, if you're at an NU event, you ought to have to wear Nebraska logo gear. Period.

Should NEVER have a current Husker athlete wearing the other team's gear at a Husker athletic event. Absolutely never. No excuse for it whatsoever. If they do it, it needs to be in their contract that you pull their NIL funding. Period.