uneblinstu's post game chatter: ed 5, vol 27 - Wisconsin

uneblinstu

Welp, that was ugly.

- Six man rotation not gonna be enough.

- I know Almedia isn't good and was hurt, but we gotta have him get a few minutes or these last three games are gonna be ugly.  A five and a half man rotation can work for a half or a game or perhaps even two, but it's not condusive for sustained success unless they're elite players, which our guys aren't.

- Wisconsin is just good, especially at home.  Sometimes I wonder if the Big Ten will get six teams to the sweet 16.

- Dekker's gonna have a huge career for Wisconsin.

- He's gonna get a hard time for it, I'm sure, but props for Evans for putting the pride aside to go with the jump shot free throw.

- I don't really know what to say about the Huskers tonight.  They were just out manned in about every phase.  

- Doesn't help when we've don't know how to execute a 4 on 2 break, though.  

- Sloppy with the ball, too.

- Just no answer for Wisconsin's length.  

- Given the Huskers shorter than normal bench, short turnaround and the Badgers having five days to prepare, this outcome really shouldn't be shocking to anyone.

I'm done.  Rant away, fellas.

This post has been promoted to an article

Welp, that was ugly.

- Six man rotation not gonna be enough.

- I know Almedia isn't good and was hurt, but we gotta have him get a few minutes or these last three games are gonna be ugly.  A five and a half man rotation can work for a half or a game or perhaps even two, but it's not condusive for sustained success unless they're elite players, which our guys aren't.

- Wisconsin is just good, especially at home.  Sometimes I wonder if the Big Ten will get six teams to the sweet 16.

- Dekker's gonna have a huge career for Wisconsin.

- He's gonna get a hard time for it, I'm sure, but props for Evans for putting the pride aside to go with the jump shot free throw.

- I don't really know what to say about the Huskers tonight.  They were just out manned in about every phase.  

- Doesn't help when we've don't know how to execute a 4 on 2 break, though.  

- Sloppy with the ball, too.

- Just no answer for Wisconsin's length.  

- Given the Huskers shorter than normal bench, short turnaround and the Badgers having five days to prepare, this outcome really shouldn't be shocking to anyone.

I'm done.  Rant away, fellas.

I guess since the ref said they were legal, they were legal, but they were illegal because he crossed the line both times.

I'm wondering if the quick turnaround was really as big of a deal as many (including me) are saying.

In the Big 12 days, we played Saturday afternoon/Tuesday night 3-4 times a season, minimum.

Is that really that unusual? We also had a week off before Iowa.

Think Norm is spot on, think the 5 kids playing all the minutes are gassed.

I'm wondering if the quick turnaround was really as big of a deal as many (including me) are saying.

In the Big 12 days, we played Saturday afternoon/Tuesday night 3-4 times a season, minimum.

I don't think it's JUST the quick turnaround as much as it is...

The quick turnaround

PLUS

a short bench...getting shorter with Almeida being hurt

PLUS

Wisco playing about the league's best ball right now

In and of itself, no, but there were several factors that went into this one, the quick turnaround is just one of them.

Overall:

Gallegos averages 37.3 mpg

Talley averages 35.3 mpg

Ubel averages 32.2 mpg

Shields averages 27.3 mpg

Rivers averages 24.6 mpg

Conference games only:

Gallegos averages 38,8 mpg

Talley averages 35.4 mpg

Ubel averages 33.5 mpg

Shields averages 30.5 mpg

Rivers averages 28.7 mpg

Overall:

Talley averages 35.3 mpg

Ubel averages 32.2 mpg

Rivers averages 24.6 mpg

Conference games only:

Talley averages 35.4 mpg

Ubel averages 33.5 mpg

Rivers averages 28.7 mpg

Bet Rivers has logged as many minutes as the others over the last few games.

I don't think it's JUST the quick turnaround as much as it is...

The quick turnaround

PLUS

a short bench...getting shorter with Almeida being hurt

PLUS

Wisco playing about the league's best ball right now

I agree. It's amazing these guys can walk after playing that many minutes in this physical of a conference. 

I've always been a Bo Ryan fan.  I hope Tim can have the same success he has had. 

Also, it's going to be fun hating the Dekker kid for the next few years...

Overall:

Talley averages 35.3 mpg

Ubel averages 32.2 mpg

Rivers averages 24.6 mpg

Conference games only:

Talley averages 35.4 mpg

Ubel averages 33.5 mpg

Rivers averages 28.7 mpg

I don't buy the tired part.  These are 18-22 year old kids in the prime of their life and prime condition.  They get 4 media timeouts a half, plus the potential for 10 timeouts during the game, and halftime and are technically playing in 4 min spurts.  I know it's physical but that's not too bad

Sorry to disagree, a0t0w0, but it's never fun (for me at least) to hate another team's player.  Painful to hate him.  Because the reason you hate him is that he drilled your team.  Caused you to lose in an especially horrifying fashion.  I'd rather feel how I felt after the Iowa game.  That Gesell kid is a nice player.  Someday he might be a pretty good player for them.  Y'know, patronizing.  I'd rather feel patronizing toward their players than hoping they get ruled academically ineligible or that they wind up with some "pay for tattoos" scandal so that we don't have to get killed by them anymore.

Overall:

Talley averages 35.3 mpg

Ubel averages 32.2 mpg

Rivers averages 24.6 mpg

Conference games only:

Talley averages 35.4 mpg

Ubel averages 33.5 mpg

Rivers averages 28.7 mpg

I don't buy the tired part.  These are 18-22 year old kids in the prime of their life and prime condition.  They get 4 media timeouts a half, plus the potential for 10 timeouts during the game, and halftime and are technically playing in 4 min spurts.  I know it's physical but that's not too bad

Even youth grow tired and weary.

coughunter, the actual results would argue against your conclusions.

And the people familiar with athletic performance would also say you're wrong.

Athletes at the pinnacle of their careers and at the top of their sport perform better when they have a chance to recover.  Take Michael Phelps for example.  There was talk all over the news when he lost in the 400 IM to Aaron Lochte in the Olympics last summer that it was because he didn't taper down his workouts enough and trained too hard prior to the Olympic games. 

For example, there's this:  http://blogs.plos.org/neuroanthropology/2012/07/29/michael-phelps-losing-the-400im-and-his-taper/

Miles himself said that there is no reason for these guys to be tired. They have ice baths, trainers, nutritionists, etc... 30 games over 120 days is pretty reasonable. I highly doubt Miles is killing these guys in practice given our depth.

They might have been mentally drained after that Iowa game more than anything else.

This was a game of Nebraska not bringing it vs a Wisconsin team that looked like it was taking shooting practice.

If you all didn't see this coming, maybe you should actually read the previews I write ;)

Probably going to have to get guys minutes in the last three that haven't played much all year.  Otherwise we may continue getting run off the court.  I suppose Miles will give the guys a chance to get their legs back but that may mean game walk throughs until the Illinois game.

We're about one more win away from being officially out of NIT contention.

If we are losing in against a sold out Illinois team on Senior day, which is a real possibility, we might see a bit more of Parker and possibly Vucitec and Tyrance simply because they will be here next year.

Sorry, but Saturday early afternoon to Late Tuesday night is not a quick turnaround....wisconsin is not that far away.  These kids played AAU ball where they played 3-5 or 6 games a weekend with 2 or 3 games in one day.

Yeah, but so do all the other AAU teams they're playing against, so everyone is equally spent.  Level playing field as it were.

Sorry, but Saturday early afternoon to Late Tuesday night is not a quick turnaround....wisconsin is not that far away.  These kids played AAU ball where they played 3-5 or 6 games a weekend with 2 or 3 games in one day.

Yeah, but so do all the other AAU teams they're playing against, so everyone is equally spent.  Level playing field as it were.

True, but all teams this time of year are tired.  This is as much on Miles as our tired players, not playing any bench even in blowouts?

Probably going to have to get guys minutes in the last three that haven't played much all year.  Otherwise we may continue getting run off the court.  I suppose Miles will give the guys a chance to get their legs back but that may mean game walk throughs until the Illinois game.

We're about one more win away from being officially out of NIT contention.

If we are losing in against a sold out Illinois team on Senior day, which is a real possibility, we might see a bit more of Parker and possibly Vucitec and Tyrance simply because they will be here next year.

If the only reason for playing Jordan Tyrance is that he'll be around next year, you might just as well leave him on the bench.  He's played real minutes this year only because we have no one else.  We're tapped out on scholarship players and need to rely on walk-ons to contribute when the game is still in doubt.

But if Jordan is getting any minutes other than garbage time next year, we're in real big trouble.  Next year, we'll have basically a full contingent of guys on scholarship and we won't need to go so deep on the bench to pull walk-ons into the game to play real minutes.

Sorry to disagree, a0t0w0, but it's never fun (for me at least) to hate another team's player.  Painful to hate him.  Because the reason you hate him is that he drilled your team.  Caused you to lose in an especially horrifying fashion.  I'd rather feel how I felt after the Iowa game.  That Gesell kid is a nice player.  Someday he might be a pretty good player for them.  Y'know, patronizing.  I'd rather feel patronizing toward their players than hoping they get ruled academically ineligible or that they wind up with some "pay for tattoos" scandal so that we don't have to get killed by them anymore.

I meant it in a playful, almost jealous way.  Like "Garsh darn that Dekker!" I would never truly bash or get angry at ANY student athlete.  I respect each and every one for their ability to handle sports AND classes.