WBB: Game #28 @ Wisconsin

Row6Seat10

#20/25 Nebraska Cornhuskers (21-6, 11-3 Big Ten) at Wisconsin Badgers (11-16, 3-11 Big Ten)

Thursday, Feb. 28, 7 p.m.
Kohl Center (Madison, Wis.)

Live Video: BTN.com
Radio: 25-Station IMG College Husker Sports Network  (PBP-Matt Coatney; Analyst-Jeff Griesch)
(KBBK 107.3 FM, Lincoln; KFFF 93.3 FM, Omaha; KHAS 1230 AM, Hastings; KNEB 960 AM, KNEB 94.1 FM, Scottsbluff; KRFS 103.9 FM, Superior; KCOW 1400 AM, Alliance)
Free Internet Audio: Huskers.com

4f4181d14b425.preview-300.jpg

Huskers Shoot for 10th Straight Win, Season Sweep of Badgers

The No. 20 Nebraska women's basketball team shoots for just the second double-digit winning streak in school history while trying to secure the No. 2 seed at next week's Big Ten Tournament when the Huskers take on Wisconsin Thursday night in Madison. Tip-off between the red-hot Huskers (21-6, 11-3 Big Ten) and the Badgers (11-16, 3-11 Big Ten) is set for 7 p.m.

Nebraska will try to close out Big Ten road action with a six-game road winning streak - the second-longest in school history. A win would give NU a 7-1 Big Ten road mark, which would be the second-best conference road record in school history, trailing only Nebraska's 2010 Big 12 championship squad that finished a perfect 8-0 away from the Devaney Center.

Nebraska stretched its overall winning streak to nine games with a 66-46 run past Iowa. Rachel Theriot poured in a career-high 19 points, including 15 in the second half. All-America candidates Jordan Hooper and Lindsey Moore both added double figures in the win, which completed a season sweep of the Hawkeyes. Nebraska held its third straight Big Ten foe to a season-low point total, as the 46 scored by Iowa joined the 39 allowed to Ohio State and Michigan. Over the last three games, the Huskers are allowing just 41.3 points per contest and the 39 allowed to the Wolverines were the fewest ever in a road conference game by the Huskers.

A nine-game conference winning streak has been a rarity in Nebraska history. The Huskers' current nine-game streak marks the second-longest conference winning streak in school history, trailing only the 2009-10 Huskers' 16-game streak in a perfect 29-0 regular season.

Wisconsin heads into Thursday night's game against the Huskers at the Kohl Center in Madison hoping to snap a three-game losing streak. The Badgers have also lost three straightin the Big Ten series with the Huskers. Wisconsin's starters have accounted for 95 percent  of the Badgers' scoring and88 percent of the minutes in Big Ten play.

Wisconsin leads the all-time series with Nebraska 5-3.

Probable Starters:

Nebraska Cornhuskers

3 - Hailie Sample -6-1 - So. - F
23 - Emily Cady - 6-2 - So. - F
35 - Jordan Hooper - 6-2 - Jr. - F
00 - Lindsey Moore - 5-9 - Sr. - G

24 - Rachel Theriot - 6-0 - Fr. – G

Wisconsin Badgers

4 - Nicole Bauman -5-10 - Fr. - G
5 - Morgan Paige - 5-9 - Jr. - G
24 - Tiera Stephen - 5-7 - Sr. - G
35 - Jacki Gulczynski - 6-1 - So. - G/F
43 - Cassie Rochel - 6-4 - Jr. - F/C

Nebraska has traditionally ranked among the nation's leaders in fewest fouls per game under Coach Connie Yori, but the 2012-13 Huskers are taking those numbers to a new level. NU ranks 14th nationally by committing just 12.9 fouls per game.

Jordan Hooper has pushed her career scoring total to 1,577 points, moving her into No. 10 on Nebraska's all-time scoring. Hooper also has increased her career total to 744 rebounds, which ranks eighth in Husker history.

Jordan Hooper enters the Wisconsin game with 200 career three-pointers, after becoming just the second Husker in history to hit 200 career threes.

Lindsey Moore is expected to make the 126th consecutive start of her career when the Huskers face Wisconsin. She has set the Nebraska women's basketball record for minutes played, as she approaches 4,100 career minutes. Lindsey became the first Husker in history to play 4,000 career minutes. She enters the Wisconsin game with 4,098 minutes played.

No. 20 Huskers Shoot for 10th Straight                        Huskers.com    thanks a million to Jeff Greisch!

really, who could have imagined we'd crawl back into a meaningful game with PSU at the end of he season? Win or lose, the women deserve a ton of credit for really bearing down when it mattered most. Another fine Yori team.

PSU looks mortal all of a sudden. The Bob should be rocking for this one.GBR!

Basketball is a funny game.  Some nights you can't hit the broadside of a barn, like tonight, and the next night you can't miss.  Go figure.  Let's hope Sunday's game against PSU we can't miss. Especially need Hooper to find her shot.  Not sure why but she is really struggling to make wide open shots.  If we're going to go far in the BT tournament and the NCAA tournament, Hooper has to score. Glad to see Theriot have the confidence to take the shots instead of always thinking pass first.

Placing second is a great accomplishment with this team and tieing for first would be unbelievable since we started out 2-3.  I have to admit that the way this team started out in conference and losing to Creighton and South Dakota in preason, I was pretty sure this would be a downer year. 

Basketball is a funny game.  Some nights you can't hit the broadside of a barn, like tonight, and the next night you can't miss.  Go figure.  Let's hope Sunday's game against PSU we can't miss. Especially need Hooper to find her shot.  Not sure why but she is really struggling to make wide open shots.  If we're going to go far in the BT tournament and the NCAA tournament, Hooper has to score. Glad to see Theriot have the confidence to take the shots instead of always thinking pass first.

Placing second is a great accomplishment with this team and tieing for first would be unbelievable since we started out 2-3.  I have to admit that the way this team started out in conference and losing to Creighton and South Dakota in preason, I was pretty sure this would be a downer year. 

imo, i believe with jordan hooper really battling underneath, she is expending alot of energy and it may have affected her offensive game a bit.

I don't remember if it was you longtime or not but I kept saying give Theriot time and she would be fine. She has played very well despite having a foot injury.

I don't remember if it was you longtime or not but I kept saying give Theriot time and she would be fine. She has played very well despite having a foot injury.

I don't think having whatever her foot injury is had a lot to do with taking a wide open shot.  For most of the season she would be fed the ball for a WIDE open shot (shots which she was capable of making) and she wouldn't take the shot.  She would try to make some thread the needle pass to someone which probably half the time ended in a turnover or she'd just give the ball up to someone else.  I hate it when the team works to get a wide open shot and that person bails on the shot (unless it's Hailey Sample whose more than 10 feet away from the basket).  But lately she seems to be looking for a shot.  She even creates her own good shots now.  Now maybe her foot feels better and she is more comfortable in driving in the lane and shooting. 

I'm starting to get excited for her leading the team next year.  I doubt she'll be like Moore  who is a fantastic ball handler and can finish around the basket---and get fouled doing it.  But Theriot's going to have to do it for next year if we are to be successful.  I really don't expect Laudermille and Jefferies  to be much different than they are now. Yes I would like them to improve drastically on their ball handling, driving to the basket and finishing and overall shooting, but I'm not expecting it to happen.  I don't know enough about the 2 incoming guards to comment.  I think at least one of them needs to come in and be an offensive asset. We'll see.  Does anyone have any new info. on the girl (sorry, can't remember her name) from Canada?  And does anyone have an opinion on the guard coming in out of Seward (Tvrdy?)?  What's her strengths and weaknesses?  Can she be a starter?

I also said that Theriot reminded me alot of Moore in her freshman year IE the WIDE open shot that she passed up when everyone was begging her to shoot. I just think it takes time to get comfortable with the speed of the game and learning the strengths and weakness of your teammates.

I also said that Theriot reminded me alot of Moore in her freshman year IE the WIDE open shot that she passed up when everyone was begging her to shoot. I just think it takes time to get comfortable with the speed of the game and learning the strengths and weakness of your teammates.

The difference is Theriot needs to shoot for us because we don't have scorers. We have Moore and Hooper as our only consistent legitimate scorers.  In Moore's freshman year she didn't need to shoot because there was 4 really good scorers in the starting lineup.  And all of those scorers could create their shot any time they wanted it.  Hooper and Cady can't really create their shots.  We actually didn't know what Moore could do (offensively) her freshman year because we just needed her to get the ball downcourt and distribute.  I guess I never begged Moore to shoot her freshman year because we had other proven scorers.

The difference is Theriot needs to shoot for us because we don't have scorers. We have Moore and Hooper as our only consistent legitimate scorers.  In Moore's freshman year she didn't need to shoot because there was 4 really good scorers in the starting lineup.  And all of those scorers could create their shot any time they wanted it.  Hooper and Cady can't really create their shots.  We actually didn't know what Moore could do (offensively) her freshman year because we just needed her to get the ball downcourt and distribute.  I guess I never begged Moore to shoot her freshman year because we had other proven scorers.

In having Moore shoot more when she was a freshman would've / could'va opened in the inside a bit more for scoring if the opponent had to respect Moore's shooting. So in a way it would have been nice to have her score a bit more. But I also understand what you are saying.

Watched the game on the BTN and we took a lot of good shots just couldn't get them to fall. Good defensive effort the last 8 minutes of the game as Wisconsin only scored 4 points. Zeroes wound up with 4 assists but made quite a few spectacular passes under the bucket. Could have had  twice as many assists had the recipients found the bucket when they shot it. Good resiliency the last eight minutes didn't panic and came back form 5 down to win.

Lot's of slipping and sliding due to the water on the court from the ice underneath it. People with towels were constantly on the court. Both Lindsey and Rachel could have really gotten hurt the way a couple of their spills looked. NOT GOOD! Then Wisconsin coach has the audacity to bitch at the press conference about the lack of traveling calls because of the fact.