Off-season off topic: The days of the week

Couldn't think of another Monday song, but here is another "summer" one I heard on the radio yesterday

On 6/27/2023 at 7:22 PM, Navin R. Johnson said:

It's also summer, which makes this game a lot easier.

On 6/27/2023 at 9:50 PM, Norm Peterson said:

Someone say "summertime"?

I thought i remembered hearing this song in 1976, except that I was hoping that I was misremembering and that this song never existed.  But, I looked it up, and it was real.  i didn't know it was Loretta Lynn.  There's a reason it never got played after the bicentennial was over; it's not very good.  Don't listen unless you have a fork nearby that you can stab yourself in the brain with.

Edit: it wasn't as bad as I remembered it being, but I was 6 the last time I heard it.  It probably helps that it is a direct ripoff of Kawliga from Hank Williams.  Still, the chorus is not something you want reverberating in your head.

Edited by Dead Dog Alley

1 hour ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

I thought i remembered hearing this song in 1976, except that I was hoping that I was misremembering and that this song never existed.  But, I looked it up, and it was real.  i didn't know it was Loretta Lynn.  There's a reason it never got played after the bicentennial was over; it's not very good.  Don't listen unless you have a fork nearby that you can stab yourself in the brain with.

Edit: it wasn't as bad as I remembered it being, but I was 6 the last time I heard it.  It probably helps that it is a direct ripoff of Kawliga from Hank Williams.  Still, the chorus is not something you want reverberating in your head.

Nothing wrong with the song. Don't apologize for music from 50 years ago. Different mindset, then.  My grandson is half Omaha tribe, half my daughter. Conlee laughs everytime he hears this song.  It seems the only people who get offended by things from 50 +years ago are the ones who want to be offended.

3 hours ago, cipsucks said:

Nothing wrong with the song. Don't apologize for music from 50 years ago. Different mindset, then.  My grandson is half Omaha tribe, half my daughter. Conlee laughs everytime he hears this song.  It seems the only people who get offended by things from 50 +years ago are the ones who want to be offended.

Since I was 6 when it was released, I honestly didn't know what the song was about (Loretta Lynn's partial native american ancestry), or even that it was a country song, I assumed it was some disco artist or something cashing in on the bicentennial.  But the wierd thing is I can remember the last time and maybe only time I heard it - on July 4, 1976, riding in the back of a car on the way to my uncle's house by Holdrege.  (Maybe it's because my sister sang the chorus for about 10 minutes just to torture me....)