23-24 WBB Roster

HUD

• HUD changed the title to 23-24 WBB Roster
3 hours ago, 12dozen said:

I remember us dressing 8 players for some games this past season.  Wouldn't it make sense to pick up a couple 'one year' eligibility transfers, even if they are marginal players?  What could it hurt?

I would only respectfully say...ask Coach Hoiberg "what could it hurt?"

Perhaps adding that depth could be helpful.  But it could also destroy chemistry.   

When the men's team picked up Bando and Sammy G before last season, it certainly was necessary and productive.  That team had specific needs and those needs were filled by the referenced additions.  Two of those needs were leadership and attitude.  Conversely, the prior years they picked up guards that destroyed team unity.

So, to simply pick up players for depth, may not prove beneficial.  We need players for specific roles and they need to fit in and play team first basketball.  

A few of those players are likely out there; but I would much rather go with a shorter bench then to bring in ill-fitting players.

2 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I would only respectfully say...ask Coach Hoiberg "what could it hurt?"

Perhaps adding that depth could be helpful.  But it could also destroy chemistry.   

When the men's team picked up Bando and Sammy G before last season, it certainly was necessary and productive.  That team had specific needs and those needs were filled by the referenced additions.  Two of those needs were leadership and attitude.  Conversely, the prior years they picked up guards that destroyed team unity.

So, to simply pick up players for depth, may not prove beneficial.  We need players for specific roles and they need to fit in and play team first basketball.  

A few of those players are likely out there; but I would much rather go with a shorter bench then to bring in ill-fitting players.

Why would I ask Hoiberg?  He recognizes the need to utilize every scholarship.  He just didn't make great decisions at times, and his record shows it.

You would certainly need to exercise due diligence, to bring in appropriate players. That goes for everyone on the roster.   My question; wasn't losing scholarships one of the 'go to' penalties the NCAA used for rule infractions?  Extra bodies seem to be a good thing.  Not using the scholarships also affects Title 9 numbers on the men's side.   Not filling a roster bugs me.  Right or wrong, it makes me question if the staff is up for the task.  Who knows, maybe they will add a couple more players before September.    

I think where we are is fine. One player (Allison) recuperating.  Last year we had 3 injured starting the season.  I agree with Huskerpapa that chemistry is extremely important. And we have it.  We were the only Big Ten WBB team to not have someone enter the portal this year.  Everyone knows they have a shot at more playing time.  Let the competition begin.  Also men get 3 less scholarships then the women.

30 minutes ago, HUD said:

I think where we are is fine. One player (Allison) recuperating.  Last year we had 3 injured starting the season.  I agree with Huskerpapa that chemistry is extremely important. And we have it.  We were the only Big Ten WBB team to not have someone enter the portal this year.  Everyone knows they have a shot at more playing time.  Let the competition begin.  Also men get 3 less scholarships then the women.

The men might get two fewer scholarships, but still had 17 players on the roster last season, and 19 players the year before.  How is having a shot at more playing time a good thing, when it is because of less competition?  

It is obviously a long time between seasons.  At least we have this forum to hold our interest.  Have a good one.

3 hours ago, 12dozen said:

Why would I ask Hoiberg?  He recognizes the need to utilize every scholarship.  He just didn't make great decisions at times, and his record shows it.

You would certainly need to exercise due diligence, to bring in appropriate players. That goes for everyone on the roster.   My question; wasn't losing scholarships one of the 'go to' penalties the NCAA used for rule infractions?  Extra bodies seem to be a good thing.  Not using the scholarships also affects Title 9 numbers on the men's side.   Not filling a roster bugs me.  Right or wrong, it makes me question if the staff is up for the task.  Who knows, maybe they will add a couple more players before September.    

He has two, possibly three open scholarships right now.

Here is something else to think about.  At present coach has a pretty good distribution between the five classes.  But if Stewart and Krull stay on the team for their covid year (2024) then at the end of that season we will lose 6 players.

23 hours ago, Tom Jones said:

four of the 13 leaving after next year pretty much guarantees continuing under usage of the 15 scholarship limit.  I mean I can't imagine a recruiting class of six. Unless there is greater use of future portals, NU will be short staffed for a long time.  

I really do not think in terms of 13 being short staffed.  A small rotation would be 7 people getting minutes.  A big rotation would 9 people getting non mop up minutes, so 13 is not a bad number to me at all.   The only reason I'd fill 15 spots is so I could redshirt and give more time developing.  The portal really should be about filling needs and people filling those needs being ready to roll.  For that reason taking a ton out of the portal really does not make sense to me unless they are Freshman or Sophomores

Spoiler

37 minutes ago, 12dozen said:

Do you expect any open scholarships when the season gets here?  I imagine there would be some concern, expressed by fans, if there were.  

Yes.  Likely will have two open.  Fans are not concerned at this point.  The team also has the benefit of a walk-on or two that earned playing time.  

Most teams will play with a 7, 8 or 9 player rotation.  The other players will only play mop up, or if there is an injury.  Last years men's team did get hit by injuries.  But then, a strange thing happened.   Team culture and player character stepped to the forefront.   Arguably the "team" played better down the stretch as players played well and played within their roles.

That kinda-sorta brings me back to my original thought.   Having a full roster can be a good thing, IF the players all buy in and accept their roles.  But man, that has become difficult these days.  Players are told from a very early age how special they are.  They are stars at every level they have played at.  They (and their support group) expect to be played; and when they are not played, or not played in the role that they wish to play in, they are unhappy and perhaps disruptive.   Then you have the increased influence of NIL money, transfer portal and social media influencers, and you have headaches aplenty.

So getting the right players, who fit the team profile, becomes more important (in my humble mind) than simply filling a scholarship quota.  But that again is just my opinion. 

5 hours ago, caveman said:

I really do not think in terms of 13 being short staffed.  A small rotation would be 7 people getting minutes.  A big rotation would 9 people getting non mop up minutes, so 13 is not a bad number to me at all.   The only reason I'd fill 15 spots is so I could redshirt and give more time developing.  The portal really should be about filling needs and people filling those needs being ready to roll.  For that reason taking a ton out of the portal really does not make sense to me unless they are Freshman or Sophomores

Reveal hidden contents

Yes agree...with all 13 as active players, that's probably enough. Maybe could take a four position, but not just to fill the bench.  There's a really good mix of guards.

Nice team coming up this season.

Who might filter out as the starting 4 is interesting.  Have to feel Coach will look to one of her experienced players...to start the season at least.  She leans to experience many times.

The blend has turned out well with incoming freshmen, and transfer.  

Next couple of years will keep on generating different squads. 

I don’t think we fully realize yet how much we’ll miss Bourne’s game on the inside next year. (Kinda like we didn’t realize at the start of last season how much we would miss Bella Cravens on the inside)  Don’t think any one player is capable of replacing Bourne’s experience, fundamentals, high basketball IQ and her overall savvy on the court.  

With Stewart probably backing up Markowski at center at least until Mendelson comes back we will have the two freshmen Petrie and Potts playing the power forward that Bourne has played.  We need to be careful in the evaluation of how they compare as they are freshmen and Bourne was a senior.  When Bourne was a freshmen she averaged 6 pts and 4 rebounds a game as a non starter playing 17 minutes per game.  Over time we will be fine.

12 minutes ago, Neb Nets said:

I’ve probably said this before but in regards to K Coley, with her height, body type and her skill set, she’s kinda stuck in between the 3 and 4 positions. 
I still think she’s capable of great things, though. Would love to see her have a breakout season! 

The last couple of games last year she did play some 3 position at times.  I have always thought with her frame she was more suited for playing there.  As a freshman due to low numbers at the 4 she played there initially and got stuck there.  At the very limited times coach ran a full court press Coley was usually in the game.  I would hope that we can press a lot more this season.