OT (because it's dead around here today): best meat for grilling

It's summer grilling season and basketball talk is dwindling.  Give your top 5.

1. Chicken breast.  So versatile.  Dice it up and put on a salad, or have it on its own next to some vegetables, or put it between two buns for a chicken sammie.  Cavender's Greek Seasoning is my go-to here.

2. Burgers.  A classic that remains in the regular rotation.

3. Phillies.  Thinly shaved ribeye + Lawry's + diced onions & peppers + provolone = perfection.  Gotta do this one over either a copper grilling mat or a griddle cover.

4. Salmon.  Old Bay over a copper grilling mat and finished in butter.  Crisps up the bottom to perfection while leaving the rest tender.

5. Hy-Vee brats.  This is one of the foods I miss the most after moving out of state (although not nearly as much as I miss Runzas during Temperature Tuesdays).  The pineapple brat is the ultimate IYKYK, but really their whole selection is solid.

Yes, I recognize I didn't list any steaks.  I'd put a nice bacon-wrapped filet at #6 if I could, but a top 5 is a top 5.

Top 5 for me grilling is tough because there's just so much to choose from.

1. Prime ribeye steaks. Clear winner for me. Buy the whole rib and cut by hand myself. Two inches thick. Salted generously, allowed to air overnight, tempered, and then grilled on a super hot grill to get great crust but leave the inside a perfect medium rare.

2. For #2, I'm going to have to go with Jamaican jerk chicken. Jamaican jerk is really God's gift to barbecue. It's a flavor profile unlike anything else you've tried. It's spicy. It's savory. It's sour. It's sweet. If you can grill it over a hardwood fire, so much the better.

3. Picanha with chimichurri sauce.

4. Teriyaki chicken. I have an old family recipe.

5. Salmon filets on those copper mats. Plus 1 on that. There's a salmon seasoning I used to use and ran out of and can't find it anymore. Shame.

7 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

5. Hy-Vee brats.  This is one of the foods I miss the most after moving out of state (although not nearly as much as I miss Runzas during Temperature Tuesdays).  The pineapple brat is the ultimate IYKYK, but really their whole selection is solid.

This might be controversial. But skinless brats are the superior brat, and hyvee's are amazing.

@aphilso1 I like you. I feel like we think the same way with a lot of basketball stuff. You seem to be smart and have a great sense of humor. I imagine we agree in a lot of other areas outside of basketball. 

However I am not sure that I can trust you. A steak didn't even make your top 5?

There's been times on this board where I thought @Norm Peterson and I hated each other. I think we viscerally disagree on a mountain of topics. But Norm had Ribeye steaks as his #1 grilling option. I can trust Norm. 

We must be related!  I remember growing up Steak on Sunday (if we had it, war years ya know) would be a special thing.  I can remember chewing, chewing, & chewing until I had to spit out the remaining masticated gray mass, thinking to myself what was so special about steak.  My mother grew up on a farm in the Ozarks and they were 'Old School,'  everything cooked to a 'Fare-Thee-Well' (if anything, especially vegetables, had any 'green' left in it, it couldn't possibly be good for you).

Happily, cooking fashions had changed by the time I got to HS.

What's That, you say; Wine?   What's That? The only wine I remember growing up Even is a sweet Mogen-David, or heavy Malaga (I still remember the name on the bottle).  Even University; Never drank it until I went into the service. (now I'm an avid fan of 'Cellar-Tracker.")

Edited by Red Don

On 5/18/2023 at 7:13 PM, Norm Peterson said:

Are we counting smoking and grilling as the same thing? Because I would change my answer if we are.

They’re different, for sure. 

But I haven’t grilled for a while. When I’m out there it’s to put something on the smoker (it’s even how I’ve done burgers the last couple years). 

So I didn’t have much else to contribute to the discussion about grilling.